Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was researching the new AWD system Mercedes has designed for the new FWD vehicles and figured id post this article. So far it seems most people who are opting to go with 4matic are doing so for snow/weather reasons, but not too many for performance or driving characteristics.

Mercedes-Benz Details Its New 4MATIC System For Compact Cars

I am a car nut just like all of us and prefer a classic RWD configuration, but by no means do i hate FWD like so many. My current DD is a 2010 GTI which i love dearly, it handles nicely, has good steering feel and is overall solid. The one thing i cant stand is the torque steer. Even at a modest 210hp, getting on the gas causes the wheel to jerk to the right. Any more power and it would get even more annoying. With 4matic for the CLA, it seems as if you can get normal fwd feel under normal driving situations, but should you get on the gas, it can detect and react within milliseconds to send power to rear wheels and thus eliminate torque steer. Plus additional power through modding will likely be aided by the 4matic. Of course drivetrain loss and extra weight are drawbacks, but i will reserve until i see solid specs as to how much weight the system will add. To me, the awd will cancel out the extra weight just by eliminating torque steer.

Anyone else going 4matic for this reason?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Seriously, a TDI has more torque than a CLA 250? The CLA 250 has 350 Nm, I doubt the TDI is quite that high.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't know about the torque issue because I am not a mechanic -- although I do understand, a bit, what the article's author had to say, but let's not forget two things. First, the other models described are not your Mercedes Benz. Second, with all due respect to MB since I am a Benz freak, what do you expect to hear from MB to sell the 4Matic? Stop and think how many times in non-weather related situations have we had to "step on the gas" where the torque becomes a primary factor? Not many ... again, I'm no mechanic but this is my 3 cent-avos!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about the torque issue because I am not a mechanic -- although I do understand, a bit, what the article's author had to say, but let's not forget two things. First, the other models described are not your Mercedes Benz. Second, with all due respect to MB since I am a Benz freak, what do you expect to hear from MB to sell the 4Matic? Stop and think how many times in non-weather related situations have we had to "step on the gas" where the torque becomes a primary factor? Not many ... again, I'm no mechanic but this is my 3 cent-avos!
Not sure what you mean by "not your Mercedes Benz". That reaks of brand elitism. As far as FWD tech goes, i have a hard time believing that MB has all of a sudden figured out how to solve torque-steer, when a company like VW/Audi, who have been building FWD for much longer hasnt. Secondly, every time i step on the gas from a stop, torque is THE primary factor.

Im not planning on the CLA being a track car, but i think as a platform it could be a fun car for spirited drives and small turbo engines are so easy to get more power out of. After a simple ECU tweak you could be looking at 250hp and almost 300lb/ft of torque going through the front wheels. To me the advantage of AWD becomes quite performance oriented here.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The only reason I'd consider 4matic is because I live above the ice belt.

The CLA just doesn't seem like a hot rod for me to worry about torque steer. My current car is FWD and it exhibits minimal torque steer. I just want to avoid anything that zaps acceleration.

·
Registered
339 Posts
258 Lbs-ft from 1200-4000 RPM trumps the TDI...the CLA 250 will pull a lot harder than any TDI. I've driven the B 250 and it certainly does.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gee, I don't know why you guys have so much trouble with torque steer. I don't have any problems with it on my Honda Civic (max torque=128 lb-ft @ 4300 rpm).

Seriously, I believe that the only good reason to get 4Matic on the SLA is to improve handling dynamics on dry roads, and I may get it to do that. FWD (as on the Civic) and good snow tires (I use Michelin X-Ice) are all that's needed to get around in central Maine winters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts