Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im almost sure ill be going for the cla45 amg, only waiting to see what the s3 is about and the new subaru STI... I know its weird im talking STI here, but thats what i curently own (stage 2 285whp, 332wtq on a mustang dyno), and previously owned an Evo X which i miss i wont lie. But in my old age (turned 39 last week) and with a 1 year old little girl im looking for something a little more "grown up" lol. The thing is, i can barely afford this thing to begin with and being new im sure some dealers will price gauge... so I would like to know of any dealers in the tristate area who are friendlier to forum members perhaps... Thanks for any input...

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Which Tri-state area? I'm assuming you're not talking about Phineas and Ferb. ;)

If you're talking about NY/NJ/CT, I'm not aware of any premiums being charged by dealers on top of MSRP in our area. Most seem to be asking for MSRP but there may be exceptions. I would love to hear from people in the are who are working with dealers who are independently offering discounts. Nevertheless, I'm working on a group buy for the NY metro area and I am running a thread in the CLA Purchasing forum. Take a look at it and PM if you're interested.

-Eric

P.S. I think you will find that the members here are a pretty eclectic group. There are some other STI and Evo owners as well as owners of...well...pretty much everything under the sun. The great thing about the CLA is that is seems to have such broad appeal it draws an interesting group of people!

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
My friend has a 2005 Legacy GT. He started modding it slowly but it now has a blueprinted Cosworth engine and more mods than I can count. I think he's got it putting out north of 500hp at the wheels. It's sick.

-Eric

·
Registered
294 Posts
There's always something coming right around the corner that's going to be the latest, greatest, fastest.... I'm sure the 2015 CLA45 will have more features than the 2014. I'm bummed by the no Keyless Go for 2014. At some point, you have to put your stake in the ground and purchase. I've targetted 2014 as my year model to purchase. It's not a once in a lifetime decision.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i really like the way you can hook up the Lancer. this is a good car to hook up check it out:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mitsubishi Bumper

G

·
My first post. Anyway I'm currently driving a 2011 Evo X MR Touring. I'm a big Evo fan and I like the car, but I'm not sure that I love it.

I had a Evo 8 MR putting down about 410hp/360tq on a mustang Dyno. Fast car for sure.

I miss the power and I'm sick of blowing money on mods with disappointing results. My X is stock as I won't even waste the money on mods.

Originally I was going to try to upgrade to a 2012 GT-R, but I stumbled upon the CLA 45 which would make a lot more sense financially, but clearly not comparable.

So now I'll have to decide just a GT-R or possibly keep the Evo while getting the CLA45. And the main reason is that I'm just never satisfied. I think I'd regret letting the X go though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My first post. Anyway I'm currently driving a 2011 Evo X MR Touring. I'm a big Evo fan and I like the car, but I'm not sure that I love it.

I had a Evo 8 MR putting down about 410hp/360tq on a mustang Dyno. Fast car for sure.

I miss the power and I'm sick of blowing money on mods with disappointing results. My X is stock as I won't even waste the money on mods.

Originally I was going to try to upgrade to a 2012 GT-R, but I stumbled upon the CLA 45 which would make a lot more sense financially, but clearly not comparable.

So now I'll have to decide just a GT-R or possibly keep the Evo while getting the CLA45. And the main reason is that I'm just never satisfied. I think I'd regret letting the X go though.

Get the GTR. My older brother has a 2014 and they are absolutely unreal.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts

Get the GT-R.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

Cars are like computers. The new and better versions are coming fast and furious :) The 2013 GT-R already has a boat load of upgrades and more power compared to the 2012s. No you will never be happy. At least not for long anyway. The CLA45 is a totally different car with 4 doors and a useable back seat. It is nowhere as fast as the GT-R but then few cars are. And the price is different as well. Not sure what a pre-owned 2012 GT-R goes for but I am guessing quite a bit more than even a loaded CLA45. Can't comment on the EVO. I am an old guy so EVO or STI has little appeal to me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Or you can save up and wait for the 2015 Nismo GT-R... Rumor is 600hp about $130k Its gonna be a killer.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Or you can save up and wait for the 2015 Nismo GT-R... Rumor is 600hp about $130k Its gonna be a killer.
But at that price, I will be going for a slower but far, far more desirable brand new Porsche GT3 or a V8 Audi R8. Or a pre-owned Ford GT. The Nissan, as powerful as it is, has ZERO appeal to me. It will be a collectible though - in 30 years - but I won't be around to see it.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
How many current GT-R owners are planning on keeping their cars for 30 yrs? :) The GT-R is an awesome car but it doesn't excite me. I think it might be something about its size. I know they call it Godzilla because of its monstrous power and handling but it also looks massive on the road. I do understand its appeal though. It's an amazing car. But, for $130K there are a number of other cars that have a stronger emotional appeal to me. They might even be a tick slower but I'm okay with that.

-Eric

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which Tri-state area? I'm assuming you're not talking about Phineas and Ferb. ;)

If you're talking about NY/NJ/CT, I'm not aware of any premiums being charged by dealers on top of MSRP in our area. Most seem to be asking for MSRP but there may be exceptions. I would love to hear from people in the are who are working with dealers who are independently offering discounts. Nevertheless, I'm working on a group buy for the NY metro area and I am running a thread in the CLA Purchasing forum. Take a look at it and PM if you're interested.

-Eric

P.S. I think you will find that the members here are a pretty eclectic group. There are some other STI and Evo owners as well as owners of...well...pretty much everything under the sun. The great thing about the CLA is that is seems to have such broad appeal it draws an interesting group of people!
Thank you Eric, im interested... and yes im in nyc...

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is just my opinion (re-reading that is seems obvious...I mean whose opinion would it be?) but I'd wait at least 18 months before I'd purchase a new model to allow those small, and sometimes not so small to come to the surface and be addressed. This engine while great power wise is running a lot of boost and I'd want to see how the beta testers fare before placing my money on the barrel.

·
Registered
896 Posts
all manufacturers relentless test the engines on these new cars - the engine reliability is one of the last things im worried about.

im sure there are cla45 engines with hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
all manufacturers relentless test the engines on these new cars - the engine reliability is one of the last things im worried about.

im sure there are cla45 engines with hundreds of thousands of miles on them.
And yet defects are still missed which are corrected the following year. This is just a rule that I follow (for the most part) and it's not just cars. My company does video/audio work. I won't authorize using a new piece of gear because I've seen others who've gotten bit, hard, by adopting early. 'll let others take the risk and learn the strengths and weaknesses of a particular system while using equipment and methods I know works. When I'm confident in the gear and there's a benefit to switching that's when we switch.

I know this is probably more than you wanted to know but I'm not singling out this car. It's just the way that I do business and don't mean to come across as a jacka$$.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts