Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer called to let me know I should be able to order in two weeks. I started to look at the USA ordering guide and have some decisions.

Suspension/Wheels

I prefer the look of the 18s and believe they will ride better with the taller side walls. I have the same profile on my 05 S4 and they perform and ride great with Pilot Cup Sports. It will be a commuter car, I may bring it to a track day once a year.

Question

The order guide P25pkg has the Performance Suspension and the 19 inch Wheels. Is base suspension a stock CLA set up? The suspension is not a standalone option. I would sacrifice some performance for comfort but do not want to short the suspension down to CLA spec.

I did not see the tire make on the 18s or 19s. Anyone know the specific tires.

Question

The AMG Sport Seats look hard. Has anyone sat in a similar seat?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey Ron,
Join us over in the CLA45 section of the forum. Your questions will be better answered over there. We were talking about these exact topics over the last couple days. Check out the "AUTOWEEK" and the CLA45 vs..." threads.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The dealer called to let me know I should be able to order in two weeks. I started to look at the USA ordering guide and have some decisions.

Suspension/Wheels

I prefer the look of the 18s and believe they will ride better with the taller side walls. I have the same profile on my 05 S4 and they perform and ride great with Pilot Cup Sports. It will be a commuter car, I may bring it to a track day once a year.

Question

The order guide P25pkg has the Performance Suspension and the 19 inch Wheels. Is base suspension a stock CLA set up? The suspension is not a standalone option. I would sacrifice some performance for comfort but do not want to short the suspension down to CLA spec.

I did not see the tire make on the 18s or 19s. Anyone know the specific tires.

Question

Base CLA45 suspension is quite different from standard CLA's. And of course, it is 4-matic. I prefer ride comfort over the last 2/10th of handling.
The Recaro Sport seats look great and testers seem to think they are fine. It is, at this time, too rich for my blood at $5900 over base.
And who knows what tires Mercedes uses on US spec CLA45s. They seem to lean towards Conti Sport Contact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Outsider

Thanks, for the clarification on the suspension P25pkg. If the base suspension is AMG, what would the P25pkg add? Stiffer springs and bushing?

DavidR redirected me to the AMG forum, good dialogue on seats and tires. I am leaning to the 18s without P25pkg unless I hear the base suspension is weak. I live in Minnesota so I need a set of 18s for winter tires anyway. Could always add 19s and a spring set later, bushings would require some work but should be able to find them in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Outsider

Thanks, for the clarification on the suspension P25pkg. If the base suspension is AMG, what would the P25pkg add? Stiffer springs and bushing?

DavidR redirected me to the AMG forum, good dialogue on seats and tires. I am leaning to the 18s without P25pkg unless I hear the base suspension is weak. I live in Minnesota so I need a set of 18s for winter tires anyway. Could always add 19s and a spring set later, bushings would require some work but should be able to find them in the aftermarket.
And lower ride height too, I believe. One magazine said the base AMG set up gives the best combination of ride and handling.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Edmunds and Car and Driver mentioned Dunlop Sportmax RT tires in their reviews of European pre-production models. As Outsider mentioned, MB tends to go with the Continentals for USA delivery vehicles. I don't think anybody has a definitive answer at this stage.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For whatever it's worth, the CLA 250 with Sport Package and 18" AMG wheels that is currently on display at MB of Bellevue (Washington) has Bridgestone Potenza rubber.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Suspension/Wheels

Question

No, the base suspension is an AMG suspension -- not the same suspension as on the 250. Based on some of the more recent reviews I've seen about the AMG Performance Suspension it sounds like it might be a bit harsh. I was originally planning on checking this box, too. Instead, I'm opting for 19s but foregoing the performance suspension. If you prefer the look and tire size of the 18s then definitely don't opt for the Performance Suspension.

I've sat in the S4's standard (ahem) Recaros which are very similar in design and they're not hard at all. That, of course, means nothing since the AMG's seats could be bricks. Nevertheless, I've yet to read any reviews complaining about the seats though and most, if not all, of the test cars seem to be outfitted with them.

Hey Ron,
Join us over in the CLA45 section of the forum. Your questions will be better answered over there. We were talking about these exact topics over the last couple days. Check out the "AUTOWEEK" and the CLA45 vs..." threads.
Thread moved to the CLA45 forum. :)

-Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts