Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 26K and within the last few weeks when I turn on my air condition the air coming out the vents smell like 3 weeks old gym sock. the air is cool but the smeel is noticeable, is there something I can do to correct this smelly air.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mildew maybe? Burn your heater for couple minutes to get rid of the smell. Could happen with any car.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
There's a class action suit for that.

·
Registered
566 Posts
the likely reason is mildew.
When that happened, what I did is:
get a new cabin air filter. They are fairly cheap.
Take the old cabin air filter out, (passenger side footwell, look up)
Spray AC Cleaner (or even Lysol) into the vents, and outside on the air intake (right where windshield water sprayers are). I also sprayed up from the footwell, circulation intake.
Turn AC on full blast. Keep car windows open.
Optional: you can also turn the AC to full heat, that might help as well.
Smell gone.. at least for a while.

For proper cleaning, you need to get to the evaporator and apply a product like 1Z Klima Cleaner to that. That's a better solution, but more complicated due to reaching to evaporator.

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Yeah ... filters and antimicro sprays can only do so much. The evap has to be scrubbed and treated else this will keep coming back.
These is at least one other thread on this and the only real solution is prevention right from the start - never let the evap sit moist just before ignition off ... though inconvenient.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Yeah ... filters and antimicro sprays can only do so much. The evap has to be scrubbed and treated else this will keep coming back.
These is at least one other thread on this and the only real solution is prevention right from the start - never let the evap sit moist just before ignition off ... though inconvenient.
Yeah, mine too.

I typically shut off the aircon about 5-10 mins ahead of when I would park my car, and leave the climate system at 16C, where the air would be blowing at high speed. This limits or reduce the incidence of mildew. But in the hot summer days, it still occasionally come up as an issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I second the motion for cabin filter. I had the same issue prior to having service B done recently and the smell is gone now that I have a new cabin filter. I asked if the old one had any signs of moisture on it and they said yes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
Same problem here at 55,000 miles. I am sure this is harmful. Out of warranty. Not sure what to do about it.

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
The only straightforward remedy is open all doors (and pano) remove the cab filter open all vents turn off ac open external vent path run fan at max ... and spray (descent scented) anti microbial fog bursts at the exterior intake port for like 10min or until the fog can is gone (may want to cover seats and consoles with sheets). Who knows this might work at least somewhat ... though pretty sure it will take several cycles to get rid of most (not all) of the mold on the evap ... which means continued "antimicrobial maintenance" effort.

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
"do not apply through the vents"
Interesting ... so they provide the snake tube ...
Of course this cleans the evap only so still need to deal with all the ducts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I purchased Mahle LAK879 Cabin Air Filter from Amazon $36.99.. took 2 minutes to change, YouTube has dozens of videos showing how to change out

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
I purchased Mahle LAK879 Cabin Air Filter from Amazon $36.99.. took 2 minutes to change, YouTube has dozens of videos showing how to change out
My oem was a Denso worked well but got pretty clogged up
Went to a Corteco carbon activated similar to your 879 but not very good at odor control
Gonna try a fancy Mann with antimicrobial next ... see if it does better than the Denso

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have learned from my own mistakes that it's better to pay a little extra and entrust your AC to a knowing person than to try and save money and then overpay a great deal. The best example would be when I tried to fix the AC from my flat. It was constantly switching fan speed like it was clogged. I thought that cleaning it would be the right thing to do so I dismembered it cleaned it and had no idea how to make it whole again. On the first try I was left with a few pieces and still turned it on. It was working fine until there was smoke coming out. At that moment I contacted an air conditioning servicing and they fixed it with me overpaying.

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
How i wish i could clean out the oem denso filter ... really clogged up and throughput has dropped

1 - 20 of 25 Posts