Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the pandemic, I never really used the HVAC system much at all , the weather being really mild and cool most of the time here in Vancouver. But last week, the weather got really warm , ~ 30C, had to turn on the AC, and there was the constant shrilling whistling noise, and it's gone when the AC is turned off.

Brought it to my local mechanic shop, and he figured it might be the air-conditioning unit coolant is low. So when I picked up the car, he told me that the coolant level was at 0.6lb, when in principle it should be ~ 1.2lb. Now the HVAC is back to operating normally again. He said that it's pretty normal for HVAC systems to need recharging every couple of years.

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
Should trace the leak ... probably a small one since it took a few years

So far so good here after 7yrs

(yup knocking on the ac compressor now)

·
Registered
CLA 45AMG
9 Posts
I have the same issue, every 12 months or so mine needs a refill. Pressure tests give the system the OK so the leak must be very small, £60 to top it up in am sure it will cost me quite a bit more to find such a small leak.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Should trace the leak ... probably a small one since it took a few years

So far so good here after 7yrs

(yup knocking on the ac compressor now)
JMC, seems like your CLA is one of the few gems on this forum, with the least number (if any) issues and the least number of maintenance items (even your shocks lasted for a really long time from what I recall). :giggle:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my vehicle is six years old, and I also don't use my HVAC air-conditioning much at all (Vancouver weather is so mild, even the summers ~ 28C , are warm only for a week or two). I typically just use the outside air for cooling (typically between 10C-18C) and allow the HVAC control the temperature of the outside air via heating coil which I typically set at 22C.

Hence this might have been one of the issues, where I have not used the system much at all, and mechanical stuff, when not used regularly, tend to malfunction more often. I will now try to run the air-conditioning more regularly

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
JMC, seems like your CLA is one of the few gems on this forum, with the least number (if any) issues and the least number of maintenance items (even your shocks lasted for a really long time from what I recall). :giggle:
I did have that TCU failure in 2015 and those 2 fast dying main batteries in 2016 and 2018 and so far yeah thats it ... but we all know the water pump or tstat is next

As for the hvac ... yeah ever so often run the ac compressor to circulate the refrigerant and lubricant (kinda like the darn dishwasher!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts