Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So i almost got in a accident on the freeway today. Basically i was like 6 feet from the car infront of me. Someone's car tires had came off like a while ago on the road(i know this because later on i saw the car parked on the edge of the freeway with emergency blinkers on). I couldn't see due to the car infront of me blocking my view and the guy infront of me was not paying attention to the road ahead of him. At the last second he saw the tires and swerved to the left lane. I was going 75 mph at the time. So i paniced and half swerved into the left lane and there was a giant 18 wheeler coming with a full head of steam right at me. Then i came back into my lane and my two right tires ran over the tires on the floor. The 18 wheeler must have been inches away from hitting me. Now, i know why theres those people that drive like 12 feet from the car infront of them always. I am about to do the same, reminded me that this is not a game. It is a life and death matter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would drive two to three seconds behind the guy in front of you in normal traffic and 4 to 6 seconds in light traffic. 4 to 6 seconds is more relaxing. In heavy traffic, I go two seconds, otherwise, everybody is cutting in front of me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good thing it ended safely, glad to hear you're ok. Tailgating is not worth it, a good 2 car lengths is minimum to keep distance. I usually break check people that are tailgating me, just to get their attention to back off, usually they're daydreaming or not paying attention to how close they are to me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good thing nobody god hurt or worse. Do you consider the Distronic Plus after your near death experience?

·
Registered
730 Posts
2 second cushion at low-to-moderate speeds, and for highways cruising I think it's a 1-second added t othat for avery 10mph over 40-50mph!

Defensive driving, the only way to drive. Saves you in the long-run, health & wealth.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
SoCal is full of road hazards in addition to drivers.
I was visiting from northern California after work on a Friday evening.
It was 2:30 am in the morning and I was a short distance from my destination off 405 after nearly six hours on the road.
Traffic was very light at that time in the morning and I was tired but awake.
The eyes registered something the brain could not compute for at least three seconds.
There was a large black object in the fast lane I was on - an eight lane freeway with me going at 75 miles an hour.
It was an apparently disabled car with no one inside and NO lights on...

I live to tell the story because I skidded across three lanes of the freeway ending up nearly on the shoulder after swirling and missing it by a foot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts