Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Just bought my 250, 2015 with amg package inside and out and it is in white. I want to wrap the lower front spoiler/splitter but my local wrapper told me I would get it a lot cheaper if I can remove it from the front bumper. I tried to search and I’m from Sweden so it’s not the easiest thing for me to search in English. Do somebody know if this is possible?

Thank you

·
Registered
9,988 Posts
I have also been asking about this ... so hope an experienced responder can help!

Just want to pop off the lower front lip ... not the whole bumper

·
Registered
9,988 Posts
well at first glance the 45 lip is a tad larger and seems to "fit" like a separate cover over the 250 lip
then looked up several members comments and had some emails with vendors
but theres no concensus whether the 250 lip pops off such that the 45 lip can be installed instead
though the 45 lip does have tabs and slots which supposedly fit onto the bumper cover?
which then means the 250 lip comes off?

so ... still not definitive answer ... wish someone would shed some light

·
Registered
9,988 Posts
exactly my point ... and yeah i saw those ...
and have yet to find any wis info on detaching or installing the "lip"
even though the 45 lip has its own part number (it does have a larger displaced volume compared to the 250 unit)

·
Registered
9,988 Posts
not sure of these are all that accurate ... but most dealer parts stores show this

fpr #12 which is the lip in question

1178850374 - w/side skirt, w/o Night pkg
1178850474 - w/side skirt, w/Night pkg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I will try to remove the clip under the lip this week to see if the lip will move a bit or not.

If the lip have double side tape like in pic in my previous post, it will no be easy to remove.

·
Registered
9,988 Posts
Yup I looked at something similar a few weeks ago and asked the vendor for lip mount details ... no straight answer from them either! ☹
Like I already have the smaller 250 lip so does the larger 45 lip just cover up the existing lip (cuz I do see the slots in the middle lower grille section of the bumper cover etc) or is surgery required to yank it off (so tearing off existing tabs etc) so the larger lip takes its place? bla bla bla ... and no response.
Guess they dont make (more) money if folks start buying parts instead of kits.

·
Registered
9,988 Posts
I will try to remove the clip under the lip this week to see if the lip will move a bit or not.

If the lip have double side tape like in pic in my previous post, it will no be easy to remove.
Well dont ding anything in your setup ... though if you do see some ways to describe how your lower front lip is held on that would be fantastic!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Yup I looked at something similar a few weeks ago and asked the vendor for lip mount details ... no straight answer from them either! ☹
Like I already have the smaller 250 lip so does the larger 45 lip just cover up the existing lip (cuz I do see the slots in the middle lower grille section of the bumper cover etc) or is surgery required to yank it off (so tearing off existing tabs etc) so the larger lip takes its place? bla bla bla ... and no response.
Guess they dont make (more) money if folks start buying parts instead of kits.
I don't think the 45 have a bigger lip. The one on my 45 look the same as my old 250 with the sport package.

·
Registered
9,988 Posts
I don't think the 45 have a bigger lip. The one on my 45 look the same as my old 250 with the sport package.
Oh ... they "look" the same ... but the 45 profile is larger and the edge is "flush" with the lower fairing profile lines ... the 250 lip is "inset" from that fairing profile line ... believe me I went through this already and that's exactly why I am looking at ways to replace the 250 lip ... that inset does not make sense in terms of air flow ... and that inset catches a lot of dirt so silly

Attachments

·
Registered
9,988 Posts
the backside of these aftermarket bumper shells suggest the lower lip is a molded in component which holds the lower half together and forms the standard 250 lip profile, then those mounting slots and what not are what the 45 lip tabs slip into etc etc

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I manage to remove only 2 expansion rivet (https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mercedes-Benz-EXPANSION-RIVET-000/dp/B0171RT4UQ), i was lucky to retrieve the 2 pins...

The lip tool to have some clips on the side (red circle). I remove the 2 rivet on one side, the lip move a bit, but it is not completely free..

I will not remove more rivet until i order a set on Amazon. You can easily lost the pin in the panel. You have to push it in...

0820181632.jpg

0820181643.jpg

I know, there is a little scratch....
0820181643_HDR.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts