Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
(Hi guys, my first post in this forum. :) )
I change the grill by myself last week (with the help of a friend). Yes you'll need to remove the front bumper but no need to lift up the car, as you can reach the screws on the side front wheel by turning the wheel leftmost/rightmost. The procedure is exactly as illustrated by @Helvetica. One thing to remind is when you're about to remove the grill, remove the entire grill + the grill holder from the top of the bumper. After that you can easily detach the grill from the holder and switch it with the new grill.

It was the first DIY project I've done to my car so honestly I have little knowledge about the car structure. It took us about 1.5 - 2 hours to complete. Taking out the bumper ended up was the simpliest and most straight-forward part, where we waste almost an hour figuring out how to take out the grill (!!). Anyway it's a fun process, and I would recommend anyone who feel interested to do it. Not hard at all. ;)

IMG_4122.jpg

Registered
(Hi guys, my first post in this forum. :) )
I change the grill by myself last week (with the help of a friend). Yes you'll need to remove the front bumper but no need to lift up the car, as you can reach the screws on the side front wheel by turning the wheel leftmost/rightmost. The procedure is exactly as illustrated by @Helvetica. One thing to remind is when you're about to remove the grill, remove the entire grill + the grill holder from the top of the bumper. After that you can easily detach the grill from the holder and switch it with the new grill.

It was the first DIY project I've done to my car so honestly I have little knowledge about the car structure. It took us about 1.5 - 2 hours to complete. Taking out the bumper ended up was the simpliest and most straight-forward part, where we waste almost an hour figuring out how to take out the grill (!!). Anyway it's a fun process, and I would recommend anyone who feel interested to do it. Not hard at all. ;)

View attachment 61554
looks great! really considering doing this but don't know how the quality of the grill is. Any updates on how the grill is holding up? Any debris getting stuck inside?

Registered
Ordered one too, sticking with the full black look instead of the silver

Registered
looks great! really considering doing this but don't know how the quality of the grill is. Any updates on how the grill is holding up? Any debris getting stuck inside?
The grill is from alibaba as this is the cheapest way to access the grill from Hong Kong. The quality is fine. The grill stays rigid on the spot. So far the internal is clean. but I would assume it will become messy if left without cleaning after months tho haha. In general i would say diamond grill shall give a better protection.

Registered
I thought it was a total PIA, just getting those 4 bolts out of the fender. Here's mine with the illuminated star and AMG badge.

Attachments

Registered
It's very easy to remove the bumper, on each side behind the wheel liner (front), remove 2 bumper clips, then after, there are 2 screws on the side front wheels on bumper, turn your wheels inwards depending on which side, remove those 4 screws total, then remove the lining that goes across the hood latch, remove those screws, and on the side of the bumper, little above the headlights, theres 1 more phillips screw on both sides, and after that, pull it out and watch out for the clips that attach to the side of your headlights. All this takes about 3-4 minutes. Then you can unhook the tabs from inside of the grill, just use a flat screwdriver and pry them carefully, super simple. Don't even need to lift or remove wheels for this.
Hi Helvetica, this is Joppe from Finland. Just got my new grill from Fastlane Styling London. I have a 2015 CLA Shooting Brake 45 AMG, and doing the change with a pro friend. I only wonder the lack of space in my cars engine room, AMG. Do you think the change might go as you told?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts