Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you guys describe the difference between the standard exhaust and the optional one in terms of sound at idle and revving on this CLA 45 engine?
Also if any modes make a difference with both exhausts?
More specifically, I am wondering if it is just louder?
I hear the crackling sound when revving in some videos and I do like it. Is it still apparent in the standard system?
Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
One of the sales men told me that the difference between the two are that the performance exhaust has one less silencer than standard. Giving it a different tone and a bit louder. As far as performance goes I don't think there's any difference. As for a difference with engine modes I couldn't tell you I'm still waiting on my 45 :(

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

·
Registered
713 Posts
There will be a slight performance gain, but only once you push the car welllll beyond the stock power levels. All the performance exhaust is is the stock system without a resonator. I.e it will give better flow, but, you're engine wont take advantage of the exhaust being able to flow more until you are pushing massive power. I.e above 500whp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I see. Thanks for all the prompt and informative replies.
I wish there was a video or something to show the difference in tone.
I just went with the standard exhaust and I'm hoping it still sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i ordered the performance exhaust but the car I test drove had the standard exhaust. I could have sworn it was the performance exhaust because it was loud and had the pops and crackles. It sounded very good for a stock exhaust. I always want the loudest exhaust, so im glad i ordered the performance version, at $450 I thought it was a bargain compared to the other options.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oh I see. Thanks for all the prompt and informative replies.
I wish there was a video or something to show the difference in tone.
I just went with the standard exhaust and I'm hoping it still sounds pretty good.
I have the standard and it is plenty loud for me. It even changes character when in C or S modes. Sport mode really pops and cracks like the perf. exhaust...but maybe to little lesser extent. The upshift 'fart' is about the same in both from what I've heard.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the performance exhaust and I get compliments on how it sounds all the time. Even more then how badass the car looks.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Since no one actually has both cars side by side for comparison, MB could easily have taken the $450 and gave you the same standard exhaust and you wouldn't know it :)
Well, I paid the $450 and probably would not have if I were to do it over again. Sound is pretty subjective...

·
Registered
258 Posts
MB is gonna risk its reputation over a 450 dollar option-scam?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Since no one actually has both cars side by side for comparison, MB could easily have taken the $450 and gave you the same standard exhaust and you wouldn't know it :)
Well, I paid the $450 and probably would not have if I were to do it over again. Sound is pretty subjective...
There are two resonators on the car the performance exhaust removes the first one from the system. I have already upgraded one standard exhaust to performance. The part comes in the largest crate I have seen at the dealer. The exhaust is one piece from the down pipe all the way back to the muffler.

The customer said the difference is night and day and he is happy so I am.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
There are two resonators on the car the performance exhaust removes the first one from the system. I have already upgraded one standard exhaust to performance. The part comes in the largest crate I have seen at the dealer. The exhaust is one piece from the down pipe all the way back to the muffler.

The customer said the difference is night and day and he is happy so I am.

That's called addition by subtraction. Charge you $450 to give you one less item :) Just curious - how much did that exhaust exchange cost including labor ?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
According to my salesman, the performance exhaust comes with black chrome tips too....
I think the NSP is the only option that comes with the black tip. There is no visible clue to whether you have the exhaust option I don't believe.
Mine is still the cheap chrome split trapezoid tip over a weak looking 2.5 inch round Toyota-like exhaust. I much prefer the quad ovoid tip the old AMGs got.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think the NSP is the only option that comes with the black tip. There is no visible clue to whether you have the exhaust option I don't believe.
Mine is still the cheap chrome split trapezoid tip over a weak looking 2.5 inch round Toyota-like exhaust. I much prefer the quad ovoid tip the old AMGs got.
I thought so too..

My white 45 has NSP and black chrome tips like the specs detail in the order guide.

Then I was in the dealers this afternoon and they had a black CLA45 with NO NSP but the performance exhaust and it actually had black chrome tips.

I haven't seen any documentation that says the performance exhaust gets black chrome, so now I don't know what gets black chrome anymore. Another mystery.

·
Registered
393 Posts
That's called addition by subtraction. Charge you $450 to give to one less item :) Just curious - how much did that exhaust exchange cost including labor ?
You don't want to know, parts only $2650 :/

Sent from my iPad using Mercedes CLA Forum

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
This may be part of the same issue with cars getting a mixed bag of trims seemingly at the whim of the manufacturing line manager at the Hungarian plant. 'Ran low on chrome tip ? Just use the black ones...' Ran low on Round steering wheels, just use the flat bottom ones...'

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I have black chrome on mine, when I pointed it out to my salesman that they f'd up at the factory his response was that's what comes with performance exhaust. I didn't bother to correct him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone have a video of the standard exhaust sound? :)
Im glad the standard one still crackles in sport ... love that sound

1 - 20 of 50 Posts