Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone with the standard exhaust had the first resonator removed?? If so, by what I'm reading... that SHOULD sound the same as the "Performance Exhaust" Right? I'm asking b/c I was going to order a 45 with the Performance Exhaust (which was a must-have in my opinion)...but today my dealer got in an unexpected non-sold 45 with everything I wanted EXCEPT the Performance Exhaust. I'm hoping I can just take it to a good exhaust shop and have them remove the first resonator. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Has anyone with the standard exhaust had the first resonator removed?? If so, by what I'm reading... that SHOULD sound the same as the "Performance Exhaust" Right? I'm asking b/c I was going to order a 45 with the Performance Exhaust (which was a must-have in my opinion)...but today my dealer got in an unexpected non-sold 45 with everything I wanted EXCEPT the Performance Exhaust. I'm hoping I can just take it to a good exhaust shop and have them remove the first resonator. Fingers crossed!
see post 17, maybe pm him http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/32-cla-performance/4312-resonator-2.html

·
Registered
211 Posts
I realized why I thought the stock exhaust sounded so good.............. I did my test drive in manual mode which opens up the exhaust.

Reactions: SlipperyPete

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've test driven both (still waiting on my delivery) ... there's no visible sign standard vs. performance. Unless you have them side by side hard to distinguish. Performance drone is a little louder to me and a little raspier on throttle - pop and crackles are also more pronounced.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've test driven both (still waiting on my delivery) ... there's no visible sign standard vs. performance. Unless you have them side by side hard to distinguish. Performance drone is a little louder to me and a little raspier on throttle - pop and crackles are also more pronounced.

There is a clear 2 foot long visual difference if you can get under the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

·
Registered
393 Posts
is that one of my pictures I posted in my thread? The part in question is at the front of the car. I should have taken pics when I did the swap for my customer but I was too busy . ....

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
is that one of my pictures I posted in my thread? The part in question is at the front of the car. I should have taken pics when I did the swap for my customer but I was too busy . ....
lol, no. While front end was being wrapped I asked installer to take a couple of undercarriage pics. I was inside car filling music register.

I don't think I have anything close up of front.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I posted a bunch of under body pics from various angles in my thread as well...

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I posted a bunch of under body pics from various angles in my thread as well...
I do recall, vaguely....outta sight outta mind. Didn't know if any of these would show any differentiating factors from standard exhaust or not, but that's all I got for undercarriage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So following up on my previous post...I just picked up my new CLA 45 AMG and it had the "standard" exhaust. I had a qualified exhaust shop remove the first resonator and weld in a stainless straight pipe. This , as far as I have been told is basically what the "performance" exhaust is. I have to say there is a noticeable difference now, especially at a cold start and when on the throttle. More throaty and aggressive. The pops and crackles are more pronounced as well. Only cost about $100 too!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
So following up on my previous post...I just picked up my new CLA 45 AMG and it had the "standard" exhaust. I had a qualified exhaust shop remove the first resonator and weld in a stainless straight pipe. This , as far as I have been told is basically what the "performance" exhaust is. I have to say there is a noticeable difference now, especially at a cold start and when on the throttle. More throaty and aggressive. The pops and crackles are more pronounced as well. Only cost about $100 too!
I think there's a little something else to it, MrBenzo I believe knows the details, I don't. But for the most part the resonator delete is what will give you more volume. Good info for those wanting to mod though. You can't beat that price for changing out the sound of your exhaust and having it welded in place is the proper way to do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
does anyone know if i can purchase the performance exhaust from the dealer, my car didn't come with the performance exhaust package. i called my dealer they said its only an option when they build the car ?????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any sound clips? Does anyone have photos of the both exhausts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some guy has one for sale in the parts area, also the other poster can see what it looks like. I think the only difference is the deletion of one resonator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pictures I took from a video on youtube about a GLA45 amg 2016( sorry for bad quality)
amg_exhaust.jpg

And this picture is from the mbusa website :
Amg-exhaust.jpg

I guess you can now activate the performance exhaust at the push of a button??

·
Registered
184 Posts
does anyone know if i can purchase the performance exhaust from the dealer, my car didn't come with the performance exhaust package. i called my dealer they said its only an option when they build the car ?????
I have the standard exhaust and when I asked my dealer if they could install the sport exhaust he told me he could for about $3000.
I don't like the sport exhaust that much more than the standard.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have the standard exhaust and when I asked my dealer if they could install the sport exhaust he told me he could for about $3000.
I don't like the sport exhaust that much more than the standard.
$3,000.... seriously? Is the "sport exhaust" lined with Palladium and individually hand-crafted by Tony Stark? Can it's energy be harnessed to defeat the almighty Thanos?

Reactions: Steve1
21 - 40 of 50 Posts