Mercedes CLA Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
$3,000.... seriously? Is the "sport exhaust" lined with Palladium and individually hand-crafted by Tony Stark? Can it's energy be harnessed to defeat the almighty Thanos?
No, it's just Mercedes AMG's way of saying, "you should have checked the box when you had the chance."

Try retrofitting any option. It's always cheaper at the time of purchase.

-Eric

·
Registered
184 Posts
No, it's just Mercedes AMG's way of saying, "you should have checked the box when you had the chance."

Try retrofitting any option. It's always cheaper at the time of purchase.

-Eric
That logic worked for MY14 when it was a standalone option of $450. For MY15 that changed to being part of the $5000 package and I didn't need any of the other options. So $5K for the performance exhaust was too steep for me. My bad luck that Mercedes got smart about packaging the performance exhaust with other options for 2015.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
That logic worked for MY14 when it was a standalone option of $450. For MY15 that changed to being part of the $5000 package and I didn't need any of the other options. So $5K for the performance exhaust was too steep for me. My bad luck that Mercedes got smart about packaging the performance exhaust with other options for 2015.
In 2014, it was a "$450" upgrade/option if you checked the box. Checking the box meant that you got the benefit of the value of the OE stock system which would have been applied against some cost differential for the value of the 'sport' upgrade. I get that you didn't want all of the stuff that was included in the $5K package but the same would have been true for 2015. Essentially, they were bundling a $500 exhaust upgrade with $4,5k in other upgrades. You had to know Mercedes wasn't really going to sell anyone a full exhaust system for $450, right? 2014 owners who failed to check the box would similarly be hit with the same $3K price for the exhaust if installed after the fact.

The fact that you didn't want all of the extras doesn't mean the actual costs or logic changed. I fully understand why you opted to skip the upgrade -- but it sounds like you may not have thought the next part out fully. Even an Armytrix exhaust system for the 45 runs like $2,600 (pre-tax). As we've all seen, AMG doesn't mean cheap...quite the opposite.

-Eric

·
Registered
184 Posts
In 2014, it was a "$450" upgrade/option if you checked the box. Checking the box meant that you got the benefit of the value of the OE stock system which would have been applied against some cost differential for the value of the 'sport' upgrade. I get that you didn't want all of the stuff that was included in the $5K package but the same would have been true for 2015. Essentially, they were bundling a $500 exhaust upgrade with $4,5k in other upgrades. You had to know Mercedes wasn't really going to sell anyone a full exhaust system for $450, right? 2014 owners who failed to check the box would similarly be hit with the same $3K price for the exhaust if installed after the fact.

The fact that you didn't want all of the extras doesn't mean the actual costs or logic changed. I fully understand why you opted to skip the upgrade -- but it sounds like you may not have thought the next part out fully. Even an Armytrix exhaust system for the 45 runs like $2,600 (pre-tax). As we've all seen, AMG doesn't mean cheap...quite the opposite.

-Eric
Yeah, at the time of order I was thinking that if Mercedes only made it a $450 option in MY14 than the difference between the standard and AMG performance couldn't have been that significant right???? I was thinking maybe an alteration to my exhaust rather than a completely different exhaust system. Oh well. I honestly love my car anyway and only periodically wish I had that extra crackle from time to time.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Yeah, at the time of order I was thinking that if Mercedes only made it a $450 option in MY14 than the difference between the standard and AMG performance couldn't have been that significant right???? I was thinking maybe an alteration to my exhaust rather than a completely different exhaust system. Oh well. I honestly love my car anyway and only periodically wish I had that extra crackle from time to time.
There is absolutely no performance improvement from the sport exhaust -- it's noise only. You can achieve the same crackle if you remove one of the resonators from the system (not the muffler). Unfortunately, I believe that will also remove the variable flap that quiets the exhaust in Comfort mode so you'll have the equivalent of the Sport exhaust all of the time. Based on my discussions with someone from AMG, that's basically all AMG did to the sport system -- it's basically the stock system minus a resonator (but with the valve installed in a different location). So, you pay more for less. lol

-Eric

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
BTW I noticed the price for this option jumped to $600 in the MY16 CLA45's. Must be a popular choice for MB to adjust the price like this... well they did add some improvements with the ability for you to click this on/off from the dash. So instead of being tied to S or M mode they allow you the flexibility of having the exhaust noise WITH Comfort mode...

Reactions: Steve1

·
Registered
184 Posts
There is absolutely no performance improvement from the sport exhaust -- it's noise only. You can achieve the same crackle if you remove one of the resonators from the system (not the muffler). Unfortunately, I believe that will also remove the variable flap that quiets the exhaust in Comfort mode so you'll have the equivalent of the Sport exhaust all of the time. Based on my discussions with someone from AMG, that's basically all AMG did to the sport system -- it's basically the stock system minus a resonator (but with the valve installed in a different location). So, you pay more for less. lol

-Eric
Thanks for the info Eric.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
It'd be nice to find a member who's taken off their non performance exhaust to post a pic. Then put ours side by side to see if there is a real difference with a bend strategically placed somewhere to prevent the 3k drone. The only actuated diverter is in the right side pipe on both setups.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It'd be nice to find a member who's taken off their non performance exhaust to post a pic. Then put ours side by side to see if there is a real difference with a bend strategically placed somewhere to prevent the 3k drone. The only actuated diverter is in the right side pipe on both setups.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been told to two different dealerships that the Performance Exhaust system can not be removed form my AMG E 53. Is this correct?

41 - 50 of 50 Posts