Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,317 Posts
Good grief
Should go back take pic and get your insurance to run a comprehensive case and then recover from the city
I had to do that many years ago

·
Premium Member
13,317 Posts
the only thing i trust is a calibrated pressure gauge that reads to 0.1psi ... cluster readouts and app displays are just relative offsets from the gauge readings

suggest you keep a nominal recommended cold front pressure of at least 35 ... as the fronts get hotter than the rears during use and insufficient air content could create long term issues from diminished cooling capacity

·
Premium Member
13,317 Posts
Why do digital gauges reading to within +/- 0.5psi not good enough?
... you asked ... so bear with me

its just the rounding error that messes with my long term data sets ... and the error bars are much smaller ... eg 32 left and 32 right rears could actually be 31.5 left and 32.5 right which is a 3.1% pressure delta in suspension/grip/tirecooling performance across the twin 80sqin footprints that one day could mean the difference between holding a high speed turn or spinning out (of course similar considerations for the 36/36 fronts)

in a slalom run i can say for sure the overall time result is different for 34/30 vs 37/33 cold pressures (using conti ecs compound)

our mfa1 chassis are quite well tuned and its perfect and sensitive when balanced

on a separate thread ...

its the precision (not accuracy as thats just a bias term) in the pressure data over time that brings out things like bead leaks, treadwear/alignment issues, suspension consistency, tiny punctures, etc etc ... and so pressures are logged regularly together with a thermocouple probe for temperature references

as it is, there are a lot of variables for long term asset state monitoring, so being able to closely maintain one variable and make it a controlled constant helps make things a tad easier

similarly we use the tick marks on the dip stick to observe actual oil loss volume and hence engine tolerance changes ... or measuring the antifreeze mixture fills at 5mL increments for coolant loss rate and thus coolant loop condition checks ... or 0.1mm treadwear tracking for suspension/alignment monitoring ... granularity has its uses

i am a little cuckoo but thats just me ay?

·
Premium Member
13,317 Posts
the oem units seem to be bilstein b4 systems

apparently they have a less forgiving initial rate curve so the tires work harder and become more prominent in ride quality observations
kinda makes sense and the natural frequencies bear that out ... teeth chatter vs more compliance

one of these days gonna hook up a vibration sensor network and see what this chassis and tire combo really does

·
Premium Member
13,317 Posts
[QUOTE="BigJase88, post: 413233, member: 36890"I must say car is much nicer to drive at lower PSI”

may i ask what tire brand model and size are on your rims?
and stock suspension?

·
Premium Member
13,317 Posts
oh ... surprised your conti’s ride harsh even tho not runflat sidewalls
you may get premature carcass wear with consistent low cold pressures ... the ride will be a tad smoother but the sidewalls will take the hits

·
Premium Member
13,317 Posts
oh believe me going from bridgestone rft tires to conti ecs was like wood floor to carpet

36/32 is very typical for gen1 chassis and tire wear over a few years is very even with that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts