Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Mercedes CLA and 2014 E-Class Short Drive: Mercedes Roadshow

"Despite the 4Matic all-wheel drive and the Sport chassis, you can still feel the CLA struggling to find grip as soon as the cones force me to choose a tight line. It’s easy to see that the engineers never intended the CLA to match its sporty looks with similar handling."

"On the road, the Mercedes CLA suddenly makes a whole lot of sense. Out on the road, where the sporty ambitions are far less important, the car has the necessary comfort and refinement to make you smile."

--yeah reviews like this, make me worried somewhat....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one is more better of a critic than the person who will be actually purchasing the vehicle. At the end of the day that's all that really matters!
that is true :). This is why im so eager for a test drive...but many of the reviews have said the same thing...they all cant be making it up or lying....

·
Registered
495 Posts
that is true :). This is why im so eager for a test drive...but many of the reviews have said the same thing...they all cant be making it up or lying....
If you really want to obtain a partial feel of what the CLA will be like I recommend that you take a test drive in the C250. Although, the CLA is not RWD, the engine power between these two cars are partially similar.

BTW, have you placed a pre-order yet?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you really want to obtain a partial feel of what the CLA will be like I recommend that you take a test drive in the C250. Although, the CLA is not RWD, the engine power between these two cars are partially similar.

BTW, have you placed a pre-order yet?
we have a C250 in the house; if its going to be anything like that...then it will be great :). The C250's handling at the limit is a little bit tricky dude to no LSD with the RWD setup though. No i am not pre-ordering, i am going to wait for the cars to hit, take a test drive. I might even wait till the A3 is out and then make a decision.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I know I'm stating the obvious but FWD cars inherently feel different than RWD cars. I wouldn't expect a CLA to handle just like a C. AWD systems can compensate a bit for the difference in feel (understeer vs. oversteer) but from what I've read they haven't scrubbed all of the FWD tendencies out of the CLA. I agree with all of the "wait until you drive it yourself" comments. Most people don't track their cars and even those reviewers who have criticized the car's handling dynamics tend to say the car is far better on the street. If a car is awesome on the road and a buyer never intends to drive it on a track, what difference does it make if it isn't a track star?

Just my $.02,
-Eric

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know I'm stating the obvious but FWD cars inherently feel different than RWD cars. I wouldn't expect a CLA to handle just like a C. AWD systems can compensate a bit for the difference in feel (understeer vs. oversteer) but from what I've read they haven't scrubbed all of the FWD tendencies out of the CLA. I agree with all of the "wait until you drive it yourself" comments. Most people don't track their cars and even those reviewers who have criticized the car's handling dynamics tend to say the car is far better on the street. If a car is awesome on the road and a buyer never intends to drive it on a track, what difference does it make if it isn't a track star?

Just my $.02,
-Eric
Eric i do agree with you. Actually now that i remember, Car and Driver and Motor Trend found more fault with the transmission programming rather than the handling. I know it doesnt have to be a track star, but i would like to take it out to AutoX or something.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Eric i do agree with you. Actually now that i remember, Car and Driver and Motor Trend found more fault with the transmission programming rather than the handling. I know it doesnt have to be a track star, but i would like to take it out to AutoX or something.
I've used my Volvo for autocross. It blew people away including one of the instructors (I am very much a novice) who took it out for a spin on my first day out. I think they dismissed it as...well...a Volvo. Anyway, I'm sure you know this but if want to be competitive then the CLA isn't the right car. An Evo or STI with the right driver is a much better car for competition. So is a Miata or any car that doesn't hang it all out over the front wheels. If you want to go to learn, meet people with similar interests and have fun, I have no doubt that the CLA will be great for that.

-Eric

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've used my Volvo for autocross. It blew people away including one of the instructors (I am very much a novice) who took it out for a spin on my first day out. I think they dismissed it as...well...a Volvo. Anyway, I'm sure you know this but if want to be competitive then the CLA isn't the right car. An Evo or STI with the right driver is a much better car for competition. So is a Miata or any car that doesn't hang it all out over the front wheels. If you want to go to learn, meet people with similar interests and have fun, I have no doubt that the CLA will be great for that.

-Eric
Yeah i just wanna go out and learn and have some fun.... :).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I plan to use this car on the street only not for track use so this review does not bother me
B-I-N-G-O

The real idea behind most of these reviews (especially earlier on and before its legitimate release to the public in the US) is to push this car hard. Practicality is not what the reviewers are going to spend there time looking at, because there is plenty of time for that after September... Mercedes' true purpose for this car (in my opinion at least) is to target an audience that would have previously thought they could only afford a Benz later in life and allow them a way to get a true Mercedes without some of the size, luxury, and refinement that there S, E, and even C-classes have to offer. I do not believe they are going to or have skimped on the luxury, refinement, etc. aspects with the CLA - because Mercedes' ultima ratio is 'The best or nothing' and they would not dilute their brand just in the name of reaching an audience.

What is going to hopefully help them in the long run is attracting younger (and possibly those who would not/cannot spend 50K) buyers, giving them a piece of true luxury, and setting them up to desire to have that C-class, E-class, and S-class in the different stages of his or her life.

( Does anyone else agree or was I just rambling? :wink: )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts