Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Anti-freeze leaks

Tags
leaks
6K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  jmc 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2015 CLA250 & the anti-freeze leaks. My husband does pretty good with doing the maintenance on my car, however he can’t seem to locate where it’s leaking from. Has anyone else had this issue? Did you take your car to the dealership to have it repaired or were you able to repair it yourself? I know some cars you have to go through the trunk & glove compartment for certain things, Any suggestions on where to look? Thnx

#2 ·
Place some large paper under it when you park at night. You’ll see the stains.

Our 2014 does the same. Did you recently have the trans fluid changed at the dealer? That when ours started to leak. The mechanic caused it but I have yet to figure out how. The dealer claimed it was leaking prior to them working on it and said it was the fluid recirculating tube. It runs down the front of the engine. They ordered me a new tube but I wouldn’t pay them $350 to install it. I put it on my lift and it’s the thermostat housing that is leaking. It’s a very small leak so we just add a little every month or so.
Eventually I will get rid of this junk or fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
...The mechanic caused it but I have yet to figure out how. The dealer claimed it was leaking prior to them working on it and said it was the fluid recirculating tube....
That's a fight to take to the dealership owner!

#5 ·
Guess its all relative to patience skill and time
From the firewall forward, it is a packed cavity indeed ... though several folks have mucked with the gearbox and nearby components without dinging the tstat
But I can see how if one had no idea what he/she was doing or did not care or was rushing

#6 ·
Not sure if you're still into this, but I had the same problem after replacing the thermostat myself... I didnt tighten a hose clamp as good as I was supposed to and that caused some serious leaks...
You should also have a look over the waterpump... You may not know, but they go faulty way too quick and that's where they'll cause leaks.

#7 ·
You should also have a look over the waterpump... You may not know, but they go faulty way too quick and that's where they'll cause leaks.
If you dig back in time on here there was a rash of water pumps going bad very early in their life
Though in hindsight it now seems to be like a batch thing not recall class
Though never got a straight answer as to the impeller material being metal or polymer as that would relate right back to longevity and rotary sealing

#14 ·
I can understand your point i.m stuck with some here and there too but definitely not as you describe it... believe it or not, the engine is crazy good for a 2l, developed for more than 10 years if i.m jot mistaking... indeed it has bug flaws but still. Also keep in kind that this is a entry level benz...

#16 ·
I can understand your point i.m stuck with some here and there too but definitely not as you describe it... believe it or not, the engine is crazy good for a 2l, developed for more than 10 years if i.m jot mistaking... indeed it has bug flaws but still. Also keep in kind that this is a entry level benz...
Ok, so I’m Going to be as nice as I am about your comments.

You are right! This is a great little engine, I have no complaints there. Fast and economical.

Don’t even come here with the entry level crap! An entry level Benz should be a 300k mile car before you buy the first repair part! An entry level Benz should be twice the car of the highest level Ford or Chevy! Instead I got a car with 70 k miles on that I parked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I refreshed my cooling system and I see that thermostat cracks where springs pushes against plastic body it has crack and leaks. I am sure is very hard to see, drive shaft shields are in the way. I would recommend replacing oil and colant lines going to turbo, their design had been updated. At lease replace o rings. I also noticed that oil filter housing gets brittle with age and the cracks and gasket should be replaced. I would replace the whole body since if the coolant leaks there it can cause major problem ?

#19 ·
#20 ·
Swood53

Swood53>
I see your new post regarding the temperature readings.
a) Please update us on the leak you reported on 2/1/20.
b) Suspect the water pumps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.