Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Someone has been trying to get inside of my car (whilst I’m at work and we can SEE him) and my alarm hasn’t gone off ONCE. The first time he went inside of my car (and all of my coworkers) he rummaged through my interior looking for electronics (he stole phones, computers etc out of my coworkers vehicles) and thankfully I don’t keep any valuables in my car. The first time he went inside my car I was the idiot and accidentally left my doors unlocked (so that was my fault) but now he’s constantly yanking on my doors and banging on my windows and my alarm has not triggered once (and he does this multiple times a day). The cops can’t do anything because he hasn’t “vandalized” our cars and he’s also under the age of 18...Everytime we catch him and someone rushes outside he books it so we can never get a good glimpse of his face. I’m wondering why my alarm hasn’t gone off once while this kid is beating on my windows and yanking on my door handles, is there something that I need to activate in the settings to make the alarm activate or is the alarm just useless? Maybe I need to lock my doors with the fob instead of using the keyless buttons on the handles in order to activate the alarm?
My moms C-Class alarm activated once because she hit the window...I would’ve expected my CLA to be the same.

·
Registered
697 Posts
He has not yet been able to entered your locked CLA to do his rummaging....right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has not yet been able to entered your locked CLA to do his rummaging....right?
YES!! He has which is why I’m so confused as to why the alarm didn’t go off.

·
Registered
697 Posts
YES!! He has which is why I’m so confused as to why the alarm didn’t go off.
………………………….
With your CLA locked, what method does the camera show, that he used to enter the car without damaging the exterior?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
………………………….
With your CLA locked, what method does the camera show, that he used to enter the car without damaging the exterior?
He went through the drivers side back door.. So I don’t know if the locking mechanism in that door has a malfunction or what but that’s how he entered the car. I even redid the scenario at home too see what happened and so I locked the car (put the fob in the garage) and went to the back door and it opened and no alarm activated. I also tested this with the other doors by rolling down the window (locking it) and opening it from the inside and the alarm triggered all 3 times. Except for the rear drivers door......However I noticed a pattern with the door, if I use the keyless button on the rear drivers door then it’ll lock but if I use any other door keyless button then it won’t lock and ANYONE can open it. The car is going into Mercedes-Benz tomorrow for a recall repairs so I’ll have them check it out. I just thought it was super weird that the alarm isn’t triggering.

·
Registered
697 Posts
He went through the drivers side back door.. .. The car is going into Mercedes-Benz tomorrow for a recall repairs so I’ll have them check it out. I just thought it was super weird that the alarm isn’t triggering.
…………...
Tragik, I suggest that you:
1) Demonstrate your observation to your Service Advisor tomorrow in the service lane.
2) Ask him to write it up as warranty claim item #1, so that you get a written answer indicating how it was resolved. 3) Then come back here and let us know the result.
With locking your CLA...you should not be able to open any door without damaging force. There are ways to bypass the keyless entry security, but lets see what your SA says, after you demonstrate to him.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Somethings fishy .....
Yeah it is, with this car. My appointment with the dealership is at 9 AM so we’ll see what the root of the problem is in a couple hours.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE:
I talked to my Service Advisor and of what I demonstrated to him he demonstrated to the technicians and they also deemed the issue beyond weird and so they did further investigation and come to find out the latch “sticks” and sometimes it’s causing the door not to lock properly (they also are replacing the seals around the door). So they are replacing the latch, the seals around the door and the door handle as well. So I won’t be getting the car back until tomorrow or Wednesday (they are waiting for the door handle) all covered under warranty of course so no cost to me. I’m not rushing though because they put me in a 19’ C-Class.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Tragik,
The time to double check the door is tomorrow before you leave the dealer. Also, don't forget to cover the alarm sensitivity question as well.
Thank you for this great feedback!(y)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tragik,
The time to double check the door is tomorrow before you leave the dealer. Also, don't forget to cover the alarm sensitivity question as well.
Thank you for this great feedback!(y)
Before the car even moves 2ft off the dealer lot I’m going to make sure the door is operating as it should. I brought up the alarm issues to them and they said it was “Normal” and to prove that it is normal and isn’t just my car they brought out a 2017 CLA and it preformed the same exact way as my car....So looks like I’ll be going for a aftermarket shock sensor tied to the alarm.....Apparently they can’t adjust the alarm to make it more sensitive. Oh well.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Sticky latch ... at least they are not just greasing it
A shock/vibration sensor is of course a good idea though not sure where to tie it to cuz its only live when the doors are locked ... though maybe the hood latch subsystem may work

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sticky latch ... at least they are not just greasing it
A shock/vibration sensor is of course a good idea though not sure where to tie it to cuz its only live when the doors are locked ... though maybe the hood latch subsystem may work
I pick the car up at 10 AM. and hopefully the issue is resolved and I’ll bring up my thoughts about a shock sensor as well because I don't know that much about them. I wonder how much the dealer will charge to install it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my car back today and all is fine with the door latches and alarms. The only problem is dealer completed the recall for the SOS systems now the SOS light is on....I called my SA and I’m scheduled to bring the car back first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully, they’ll get it fixed properly this time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
back the repair order cart up ..... what sos recall? you have that nhtsa reference number handy?
Here’s the recall number 19V787. I don’t think it’s for ALL CLA models it’s just for certain 14-16 models. It’s technically for the “e-call” system but the dealer called it SOS systems. Apparently it’s supposed to be an OTA update but they obviously did something wrong on my car haha!

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Hmmm
I never got a notice for that one though back in 2015 it took them 2 tries to fix my sos thing then it turned out it was not the hardware (which they paid to swap out twice!) but an ota update fixed it (duh!)
So they probably did -1 for the cla count since they inadvertently did mine already

But ... think i will check anyway ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts