Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just cant stand this melting OEM part. I dont want to bother with a new one since it's going to do the same and also the plastic ones, aftermarket, are pretty much expensive and also they do not ship to Romania or if they do, unfortunately, I will have to pay twice the price and it's not the best choice to be honest...

Do you guys have any ideas of what's the best option for this?

Also if there's anyone that did it, please let me know how you took the plastic cover from the right grille vent (where the AMG one is located)

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
186 Posts
What I was thinking to do was to wrap the plastic in heat shield tape to protect the air intake from heat. The tape is $15 in usa

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to do the same but it has that cloth wich is really bad, actually, I thought of getting it swapped with a stainles steel one and wrap it but it wont fit since it has that specific form and wont work so I'll just have to diy the whole thing :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
There is post about custom turbo my big turbo on the way it has custom pipes. I am thinking about covering plastic parts with tape. The plastic breaks due to heat age so covering it with thermal tape should extend it is life. covering other plastic air intake parts should lower air temp too

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will definitely try your idea for now since I dont have a better solution.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Do you have a picture of its present condition?
What is the current cost to you, new in Euros?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The plastic air intake gets nice crack on back of intake where it connects to engine bay front air inlet

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a picture of its present condition?
What is the current cost to you, new in Euros?
I'll have a picture tomorrow, but if you want to see it now I can go downstairs and take it.

It's like tritron said. The inlet that connects to the front grille gets melted on the back (the part that faces the turbo and its coolant lines)

Also, the cost of the new one isnt that much at all, around 70 euros, but it will go bad too so it's not a deal

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Actually i have been drawing up a piece of aluminum to look like a long J bracket (to kinda match the scoop surface curvature) then reflect wrap the hot side and ceramic warp the cold side ... then mount it with a couple screws on the top of the scoop and leave say 10mm air gap

The other thing is i am mocking up a set of different parts to use the other air inlet so its a shorter intake path and bypasses the cracked scoop issue

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually i have been drawing up a piece of aluminum to look like a long J bracket (to kinda match the scoop surface curvature) then reflect wrap the hot side and ceramic warp the cold side ... then mount it with a couple screws on the top of the scoop and leave say 10mm air gap

The other thing is i am mocking up a set of different parts to use the other air inlet so its a shorter intake path and bypasses the cracked scoop issue
Thought of doing the same. I already took out the plastic that covers the other air inlet and I.m waiting for some silicone couples to get the ram air filter in the position of the original filter box... Now the only 'problem' is the ECU... shall we keep it as it is?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Seems we really are gonna need some form of heat barrier. My 2nd intake inlet (303-treated) started chipping already only after 2 years. The original (non-303 treated) lasted 4 years. Check out my previous post HERE.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, definitely need to have something done. I will have a look over mine when I'll have some time and 'sketch' something on it. The 'bad' part is that we need to integrate the ECU in this 'route' so it can be cooled too Also the second air inlet that it's been used for the AMG doesnt fit the inlet oem part. Guess it will be easier for you guys if you find some CLA 45 for spare parts. Where I live there's currently around only 4 cars totalled, not a single 45 so I guess I'll have to wait for one or DIY the whole thing :(

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
@Weps - Still interested to see your photos.
@Picard - Great pictures(y)(y)
a) Is the lower shot OEM?
b) What about the upper, genuine MB? Or another maker?
c) Appears to be a size difference?
@jmc - a) A failure of materials, or something else?
b) Perhaps related to a prior maintenance issue?
b) In your opinion - What is the worst possible outcome if not corrected?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yes lower shot is OEM and upper is Genuine MB.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yes lower shot is OEM and upper is Genuine MB.
Is there a size difference - as if the part has been modified by MB to address this issue?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Is there a size difference - as if the part has been modified by MB to address this issue?
No size difference. The replacement part is exactly the same. I showed the damage to my dealership SA two years ago and he also looked perplexed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
OK, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The plastic air intake gets nice crack on back of intake where it connects to engine bay front air inlet
Are you able to show us a picture?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I.ll get a picture tomorrow, just got back from a wedding and I.m done for now but if you saw the post of Picard, that.s what I have... we all do :(

The thing is that your intake will suck in hot air... turbo getting hotter, lower boost... less hp, damage in time... bad for business :))

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
...The thing is that your intake will suck in hot air... turbo getting hotter, lower boost... less hp, damage in time... bad for business :))
OK Thanks! Send pictures when you can.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts