Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No offense to anyone as this is my personal view, but this is what's wrong with the US right to bear arms. :(
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I believe that is what makes us one of the best countries in the world. Liberty and Freedom aren't easy... and there will always be people who abuse their rights to do harm to others. But it is much better then the alternative.

Samuel Adams said:
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
Benjamin Franklin said:
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Guns aren't anything new. Neither are the troubles that we are going through. If you take away the guns, criminals will find another way to do harm. Making guns illegal just assures that law abiding citizens won't have them and only the criminals will.

Our forefathers dealt with similar issues in their times... and while taking away liberties and rights might have been "safer" for the people, it was not the right thing to do. You cannot make everyone suffer for the sins of a few. We need to trust in their judgement and their wisdom as it has never steered us wrong before.

I value my right to protect myself and my family as well as my property. I don't feel it is right to take away my RIGHT as guaranteed to me in the constitution of the united states because a few criminals abuse guns. They already used them illegally -- what makes anyone think that making them illegal will stop them from using them again.

Just my 2c, and I feel very strongly about it.

As a side note... the deadliest school massacre in history was done without firearms. Which just proves that taking away one lethal method from a criminal just makes them use another. And that's assuming that by making it illegal you are taking it away -- which is far from what happens in reality anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

·
Registered
315 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I believe that is what makes us one of the best countries in the world. Liberty and Freedom aren't easy... and there will always be people who abuse their rights to do harm to others. But it is much better then the alternative.

If you take away the guns, criminals will find another way to do harm. Making guns illegal just assures that law abiding citizens won't have them and only the criminals will.

Our forefathers dealt with similar issues in their times... and while taking away liberties and rights might have been "safer" for the people, it was not the right thing to do. You cannot make everyone suffer for the sins of a few. We need to trust in their judgement and their wisdom as it has never steered us wrong before.

I value my right to protect myself and my family as well as my property. I don't feel it is right to take away my RIGHT as guaranteed to me in the constitution of the united states because a few criminals abuse guns. They already used them illegally -- what makes anyone think that making them illegal will stop them from using them again.

Just my 2c, and I feel very strongly about it.

As a side note... the deadliest school massacre in history was done without firearms. Which just proves that taking away one lethal method from a criminal just makes them use another. And that's assuming that by making it illegal you are taking it away -- which is far from what happens in reality anyway:

Bath School disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No problem El, it's interesting to see how people's perspectives are different towards gun control when they're immersed in different cultures and live in different countries.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem El, it's interesting to see how people's perspectives are different towards gun control when they're immersed in different cultures and live in different countries.
For sure. I guess it is different if you grew up around them and you have family and friends who have fought (and died) to preserve that right for all of us citizens.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Big gun fan :) I love going to the range and putting lead downrange. Once you handle and fire a gun you learn to respect them. Being afraid of them and respecting them are two different things.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big gun fan :) I love going to the range and putting lead downrange. Once you handle and fire a gun you learn to respect them. Being afraid of them and respecting them are two different things.
The moment you stop respecting (and, slightly fearing) the gun is the moment something bad happens. Need to be mindful at all times for sure.

·
Registered
551 Posts
We have a local shooting range where you can rent certain weapons by the hour that you would not have the ability to shoot otherwise - as mentioned it gives you a new respect for them.

I hope to complete my concealed carry in the next 30 to 60 days as well....

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am a fan and own & regularly shoot several. I will be very happy when everyone, including the people trotting kids out in support of bans and the people who worship these things like deities, drops the hyperbole on this subject. In the right hands they are fun, go bang, and can be very useful.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have a local shooting range where you can rent certain weapons by the hour that you would not have the ability to shoot otherwise - as mentioned it gives you a new respect for them.

I hope to complete my concealed carry in the next 30 to 60 days as well....
Very cool, I don't have my CCL yet but am trying to take some classes for it in the next month as well. Can't wait to get it. Doug has his!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Since the tragedy at Sandy Hook, 1400 Americans have died from gun violence. I mean, whether or not you think gun control should be implemented, you have to agree, gun violence is ingrained into the American society, when you think about it, do you really need to carry a handgun around with you when you leave your house?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since the tragedy at Sandy Hook, 1400 Americans have died from gun violence. I mean, whether or not you think gun control should be implemented, you have to agree, gun violence is ingrained into the American society, when you think about it, do you really need to carry a handgun around with you when you leave your house?
It sounds like I should be carrying a hand gun with me everywhere, so that if some wacko goes crazy and decides to shoot up a mall or a store or a movie I'm at, I can do something about it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It sounds like I should be carrying a hand gun with me everywhere, so that if some wacko goes crazy and decides to shoot up a mall or a store or a movie I'm at, I can do something about it.
I can understand that line of thinking, but if there was gun control, no one would have to do that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts