Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of a crisis here.. I bought a 2017 CLA45 with stock exhaust(most options except AMG exhaust). it wasn't loud enough and wasn't rumble enough. So I decided to pull the trigger to delete the middle resonator. I believe there are 2 resonators, front and middle. I've gotta say, probably best 40$ modification on a car. More growl and louder upshift. I don't call them burble or crackle, I call them explosions?. Now I'm not sure if I should delete the front resonator. Not sure what to do. I feel just alittle more vibration, just alittle but probably unnoticeable to most people after the resonator delete.

I am thinking of deleting the last resonator and whatever the outcome, I can just weld it back in.....I kind of want abit louder to match the AMG performance exhaust...

Driving me nuts.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was 45$ for one resonator. But I was short on cash(I had debit card) that day, so he let me pay only 40$ Cash. I only did one resonator, not sure what he would charge me for both.

I have no idea which resonator is best to delete to be honest.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds a lot better more pops and less 4 cylinder sound. Perhaps when u delete the second one, if you do you could share that as well. I might have to follow in your steps!
I think It's loud enough.. I guess I don't want to do the 2nd resonator yet or ever. It's much louder while driving especially the crackle and burble noise.

· Registered
4,108 Posts
It's a resonator. Just delete it. The only thing you'll lose is the flap that controls the brap/burble in Comfort so, essentially, you'll always be in Sport mode. Some people delete the mufflers, too. For a daily, I think that might be a bit much but there are people on the forum who like it. As was pointed out earlier, you can always have someone weld the resonator back if you keep it. Same should be true of the mufflers.

Unfortunately, nothing you do to the car will make it sound like a V8. It's an I4. The best it's going to get is like a loud and grumbly I4. You can add glasspacks to it and that will add to the throatiness or grumble. I've got glass packs on the V4 in my Saab that sound throatier than the average 4 banger but it still doesn't sound like a V8,

-Eric

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a resonator. Just delete it. The only thing you'll lose is the flap that controls the brap/burble in Comfort so, essentially, you'll always be in Sport mode. Some people delete the mufflers, too. For a daily, I think that might be a bit much but there are people on the forum who like it. As was pointed out earlier, you can always have someone weld the resonator back if you keep it. Same should be true of the mufflers.

Unfortunately, nothing you do to the car will make it sound like a V8. It's an I4. The best it's going to get is like a loud and grumbly I4. You can add glasspacks to it and that will add to the throatiness or grumble. I've got glass packs on the V4 in my Saab that sound throatier than the average 4 banger but it still doesn't sound like a V8,

-Eric
My comfort mode still sounds like comfort after resonator delete. Or at least that's what I think.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your car doesn't fart when you change gears?
Dude it does!!! And much louder with the middle resonator delete. It sounds amazing man. Better than crackle sound I believe. I stepped on the gas just to hear that sound. First time I got into the car with a car dealer, i thought they were explosion noise. Such beautiful sound.

· Registered
4,108 Posts
Dude it does!!! And much louder with the middle resonator delete. It sounds amazing man. Better than crackle sound I believe. I stepped on the gas just to hear that sound. First time I got into the car with a car dealer, i thought they were explosion noise. Such beautiful sound.
That's the primary aural difference between Comfort and Sport/Manual, IMHO...the farts. Comfort just doesn't fart. Shifts are smoother, too, but in terms of noise, it's the crackles and farting that distinguishes the two settings. The sport exhaust isn't quiet in Comfort and loud in Sport. Sport allows more constant burble to come through but it's still not what I would call a loud exhaust. That said, the exhaust is notably louder when you're outside the cabin so I've always assumed there's a lot of sound deadening material in the car to isolate the cabin. If you want a louder exhaust you'll need to go aftermarket...or try removing the mufflers. :)

-Eric

· Registered
1 Posts
Super late guys!

After spending a while looking for videos of examples of a double res delete I decided to just go for it!

I’ll get a video linked, but no regrets! It sounds like the performance amg exhaust... but with more aggressive bangs and cracks and just louder.

No drone at all and comfort mode is basically the same.... but it has rage when you want it to have it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts