Mercedes CLA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
Just an update, my car is at the dealer at the moment to get the software update + installation of smartphone module. After i pick it up, i will look for the new icon some people mentioned on this topic to see if its actually updated. if all goes well i will order an activation module from ebay to try. If it works i'll make a guide for people below 12.2015 on how to get this one.

( My cars build date 01.2015 i have NTG5) ( all thanks to richieetorres from https://www.mercedescla.org/forum/35-cla-interior-styling/38350-carplay-android-auto-module-2015-a.html for telling me his story )

Edit update #2: got my car back. the system is updated and now i have the music icon and stuff. Also got the smartphone integ. package installed. Just ordered the obd module hopefully all will be smooth.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes, let us know how it works. I got the new Music icon and I have the smartphone package installed - but it hasn't worked for me. Maybe my updating tool just doesn't work? If yours works, Ill have renewed hope LOL

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Am looking around for a singular carplay only addon box ... for the older ntg4.5/7’s
Seem to exist but messy installs
Someone has to hack the WinCE o/s and reappropriate the existing usb stick input

·
Registered
342 Posts
Am looking around for a singular carplay only addon box ... for the older ntg4.5/7’s
Seem to exist but messy installs
Someone has to hack the WinCE o/s and reappropriate the existing usb stick input
Man I guess whatever manufacturer it is, that CarPlay retrofit is sought after and seem to have bugs here and there even for the solutions that are out there.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
yeah well quite a few of us got suckered into believing the "carplay retrofit option" for the 2014's ... march 2014 announcement if i recall ... then of course that went bye bye

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
Yes, let us know how it works. I got the new Music icon and I have the smartphone package installed - but it hasn't worked for me. Maybe my updating tool just doesn't work? If yours works, Ill have renewed hope LOL
Sadly, it didn't work for me either... The obd device puts the car in the Diagnosis mode but then after restart nothing is activated. The smartphone integration usb port does work but it just charges the phone. I sent the obd device back and they sent me a new one its still on its way but i doubt it will work.

Anyways i have the android screen installed so i just went with https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Carlinkit-USB-CarPlay-Dongle-for-Android-Car-Head-Unit-Screen-Touch-with-iOS-Carplay-System-New/32955289212.html?channel=twinner this device which works with the android screens. Still waiting for it to arrive.

So basically i wasted my money on the smartphone package part + the installation. Oh well..

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Jan2015 firmware (not software) may be too early
Wonder if a straight swap with a much later 5.1s unit from ebay may work?
But still have to code in the darn thing

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
Jan2015 firmware (not software) may be too early
Wonder if a straight swap with a much later 5.1s unit from ebay may work?
But still have to code in the darn thing
I'm positive it will work. My dealer actually told me to do that( odd i know) but i am 100% sure my aftermarket screen will work with the carplay dongle i have mentioned in my previous post so i will just go with that for now.

Did anyone try this https://youtu.be/XMSHVyyHm7g
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes when we said OBD device we were talking about that thing. Sadly it doesnt work even after the software update

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Oh ... forgot about the android screen ... then hopefully everything will work.
I am still trying to “sniff” around the networks ... trying to make sense of all the hex is turning me into a hack

·
Registered
26 Posts
So when you plug the OBD2 in, it may not work, try again because each time you plug-in it will either turn on or off the activation.

Also, the USB cable makes a difference, always try it with the original cable that came with the phone first.

Most of these OBD2 that I have seen always list delivery date to be 12/2015 or later. They however do not say which version of HMI, it should be at least 06/2016.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
So is there a resolution to the question of whether a retrofit is possible for CLA 250s with MY15, and COMMAND NTG5.1?

Is there a part that can be purchased, and firmware updates required?

If anyone has this info, can you please provide the relevant part nos.? I would like to have this installed at my dealer, but would need to know the right part nos. for it.
Hey Mav,

can you please give a review of the car play after install? any issues?

I just inquired my stealership to install it on my MY15 cla250

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Hey Mav,

can you please give a review of the car play after install? any issues?

I just inquired my stealership to install it on my MY15 cla250
Works fine with the general apps, like message texting, whatsapp, phone, google maps, music. Sportify works fine generally, but if you try to use another app that have a conflict with sportify in carplay, the sportify will be behave erratically. Speech to text and text to speech functions for messages works well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Works fine with the general apps, like message texting, whatsapp, phone, google maps, music. Sportify works fine generally, but if you try to use another app that have a conflict with sportify in carplay, the sportify will be behave erratically. Speech to text and text to speech functions for messages works well.
Is there Waze for it?

Does the phone have to be directly plugged in USB always or can it be via bluetooth to access apple car play??

Got priced in for $249 after tax.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Is there Waze for it?

Does the phone have to be directly plugged in USB always or can it be via bluetooth to access apple car play??

Yes, Waze works great on carplay in the MB app. But you have to set it up in Waze to be the primary nav app or when you call up for nav guidance, siri will call up google maps by default.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, Waze works great on carplay in the MB app. But you have to set it up in Waze to be the primary nav app or when you call up for nav guidance, siri will call up google maps by default.
Sweet, thanks for your help. Just scheduled my appointment with the stealership

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
Is there Waze for it?

Interesting how they gave you a quote even though yours is not 12.2015+. For me they had an immediate NOT POSSIBLE saying only 2016+ will work. Its funny to see cause they talk about being the best but each stealership lives in their own world :uplaugh:

61 - 80 of 117 Posts