Mercedes CLA Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

Super Moderator
Can you let us know the part number/service details? My dealership said it was impossible on any 2015 model lol
My dealer said the same thing and i went ahead and ordered the parts anyway. (you can find the part numbers couple pages back i shared them ) After spending around 300$ and a software update from the dealer i realized its still missing some kind of software update and it won't work. So my suggestion is to not proceed :) After all this i spent another 80$ for a small device on my aftermarket screen and now i have android auto / carplay

Registered
My dealer said the same thing and i went ahead and ordered the parts anyway. (you can find the part numbers couple pages back i shared them ) After spending around 300$ and a software update from the dealer i realized its still missing some kind of software update and it won't work. So my suggestion is to not proceed :) After all this i spent another 80$ for a small device on my aftermarket screen and now i have android auto / carplay
Yeah, Im sadly at that point you were (minus the major dealer update - only know my NAV + Audio20 is updated, not the important HMI)

I think my only option is to spend much more and get the whole thing replaced or just to suck it up and forget about it LOL. Im thinking the latter

Registered
Can you let us know the part number/service details? My dealership said it was impossible on any 2015 model lol
https://configurator.mercedes-benz-accessories.com/en-CA/Telematics/Mobile_communication/Smartphone_Integration_package_A2468203800

I believe the part number is A2468203800

I didnt go in yet, will be going in beginning of May. Will provide invoice details after.

Has anyone tried to go into engineering mode to see if you could just activate car play/andriod auto then just plug in phone to usb port? Stealership is telling me they need install new usb port module for car play/andriod auto.

Registered
Interesting how they gave you a quote even though yours is not 12.2015+. For me they had an immediate NOT POSSIBLE saying only 2016+ will work. Its funny to see cause they talk about being the best but each stealership lives in their own world :uplaugh:
I actually received the email from Mercedes Benz Canada back in Dec 1, 2016 telling me that there is apple car play/andriod auto for my car available. At the time I didnt think I would need it but this thread came across and I spoke with my local stealership to see if they can check via VIN if this is available to be installed.

Registered
https://configurator.mercedes-benz-accessories.com/en-CA/Telematics/Mobile_communication/Smartphone_Integration_package_A2468203800

I didnt go in yet, will be going in beginning of May. Will provide invoice details after.

Has anyone tried to go into engineering mode to see if you could just activate car play/andriod auto then just plug in phone to usb port? Stealership is telling me they need install new usb port module for car play/andriod auto.
Interestingly, I already installed that part after I bought it off Mbparts"dot"com (didn't wanna post the exact link cause I forget the name and dont wanna lead anyone astray) for like $45-50. I will be very curious to see what the invoice says, assuming they dont just write *installed CarPlay* lol.

So it turns out that on the 2015+ models, you can't access the engineering menu. For many of us, that would have solved the issue long long ago if we could confirm our HMI software versions haha

Super Moderator

Unfortunately that alone doesn't give you carplay. We already have that part installed. You will need software update + some kind of HMI version (* important part*). The HMI thing is tricky as you do not know what yours is and when you ask them they dont know either(and dont want to check)

Registered
Just got my car back from Mercedes Maple in GTA area. Car play/ Andriod Auto installed successfully ! Let me check the bill statement later tonight.

Super Moderator
Haha wow, this is a major breakthrough lol - let us know whenever you have time.
Not really, as Nov builds have the required version somehow. But pre-november cars doesn't have it. There was another Nov build who was able to get it to working with just Smartphone integration package + the obd module + regular software update. Unfortunately pre nov needs another update by the dealer which they won't do.

Registered
I have a 2016 cla250 and it already has carplay. It does not have android auto. Its driving me crazy. Why would it have one but not the other? How do I get android auto? Thank you!

Registered
Not really, as Nov builds have the required version somehow. But pre-november cars doesn't have it. There was another Nov build who was able to get it to working with just Smartphone integration package + the obd module + regular software update. Unfortunately pre nov needs another update by the dealer which they won't do.
Yep, I was just hit with this. I think its officially over. I called them up 2 weeks ago and they said they could do it, as I cited that MB Article with smartphone integration. Today I dropped off the car and was told I needed a newer version of NTG and that would cost $10k lol. And so I asked if they could update the firmware/HMI and they told me it is not possible for this model and their dealer system doesn't even let them.

Registered
Coding for android auto

Not sure is there any progress on this. Personally I have reached out to the local dealer (in Singapore), they don't really bother with anything that doesn't came from the factory. I approached different service center (but run by the same dealer), the so call "retrofit" is never in their dictionary. The customer service was telling "most important the car can drive smoothly, no need to install this and that onto the car", some said "they consulted Mercedes German, they cannot do anything if the item doesn't came from factory"...all kind of bs.

The retrofit only can be done through third party workshop at my place now. If your car is on Audio20 (without comand), you can go to the engineering mode to check whether the Audio20 firmware have the CarPlay/AndroidAuto feature installed. If not, you may request your local dealer to perform firmware update on the Audio20 (NTG5.1). (my CLA shown the CarPlay/AndroidAuto after the firmware upgrade) However this will not get the feature enable/activate on the car, and I believe coding is needed to enable it (my local dealer have no idea how to do this after I mention this to them). Third party workshop at my town is charging quite expensive for doing this.

Throughout my finding, besides the coding, the USB port (under the armrest) also need to have the picture of the tablet/phone on one of the USB port. (that particular USB is use to link your phone to Audio20 to use the CarPlay/AndroidAuto feature)

If your car came with Comand, it will be lot easier. As long the Audio20 firmware shown support of CarPlay/AndroidAuto, you can get the CarPlay/AndroidAuto activator to activate the feature through ODB2 port your self (entire activation only took within min). I got one before but it doesn't work with Audio20 without Comand so I returned the unit. There's plenty of this activator in the market right now and mostly came from China. You also need NTG5.1 for this to work.

If anyone have any idea which code need to update to enable/activate the feature, do update this post. Thanks !
Did your third party workshop mention how they would do it? Did you end up doing it it in the end? Do you remember how much they quoted? I really want to do this please let me know.

Super Moderator
Did your third party workshop mention how they would do it? Did you end up doing it it in the end? Do you remember how much they quoted? I really want to do this please let me know.
Please read our earlier comments. We already went thru this process and explained that it won't work. If you want to splash your money around then go ahead , firmware update + USB port replacement does not work. The dealer needs to perform another update which they won't do. It only works if your car is like 10.2015+ otherwise don't bother. Go for third party addons instead like a new screen and such.

Registered
Please read our earlier comments. We already went thru this process and explained that it won't work. If you want to splash your money around then go ahead , firmware update + USB port replacement does not work. The dealer needs to perform another update which they won't do. It only works if your car is like 10.2015+ otherwise don't bother. Go for third party addons instead like a new screen and such.
I asked them today if they could retrofit my car, a CLA from 08/2015, and they told me that they would only do it if I had the Comand (SA531) radio unit. In another thread David170 managed to do it in a car well prior to 11/2015 but it did have the Comand (SA531) .

But I find it quite strange. The OBD Carplay activators that we see everywhere claim to support every car after 12/2015.

I have a friend with a CLA from 03/2016, that already has the USB port with the smartphone symbol, and I checked the VIN number and it says that the car has a Audio 20 (SA522) unit.

So the Audio 20 (SA522) is the same as the one that I have in my car. But there is only one difference. His version of the software his already on 30.xx and mine is still on 21.12.

The guy at the dealer told me that they would update my Audio 20 unit to a further software version. But would still not activate the Android Auto. He then gave me a hint that after this, the OBD would be the solution.

Am I missing something here? I know that it might be asked a lot, but something seems strange right?

Is it only because our HMI versions are before 06/2016?

Registered
If you already have a AA/CP symbol, the OBDII tool could maybe work.
No, I don't have the AA/CP symbol.
I'm still trying to figure out what is missing. Like @Emir, he already seemed to do everything right, but there seems to be something missing.

@Emir, does your car have the Comand radio unit or the Audio 20 one?

If you check your VIN you should see one of these:
5DzjEkc.jpg
or
Rjv8tUa.jpg

Mercedes released a retrofit option for older cars with NTG5*1. You guys can see the full details in this link.
But one important thing that I noticed was this:

Anota莽茫o 2019-07-12 025740.jpg

It is on track with what the guy at the dealer told me. He could only do it if I had the Comand system SA531.
And I think that was the case with @David170. He already had that system. And that's why they can do it without much hassle.

But for all of us with Audio 20 SA522 it should have worked, since it is the same unit has other As, GLAs or CLAs from 2016.

Registered
Hey! Following my previous posts, I just found out a way to check the HMI Version in NTG5*1.

Just push for about 10 seconds:
- Hangup + * + 3.

Here is the HMI of my 08/2015 CLA (keep in mind that I still didn't ask for any software updates at the dealer) :
HMI.jpg
@Emir, @SunsetCLA can you guys give it a try and see what your version is?

I remember seeing a thread where guy managed to it with HMI Version 07/11/2016/19:32:49 (5.4.4. 108396-NTG51-M3-00). To use Android Auto (not just CarPlay) we need HMI Version from atleast November 2016. CarPlay works on HM versions from November 2015 onward.

I also saw in a German website an article stating that only HW Partnumbers that finish with 06, 07 or 08 work. Don't know if it is true, but it seems so. @Emir your partnumber should be an interesting thing to see to confirm this.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts