Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just set up my CLA to use a new 7th generation iPod Nano ($137 + $21 for an extended 3-year warranty) w/ the stock (non-Multimedia Package) Media Interface.

The center console connector is the old 30-pin style, so I also had to buy one of Apple's horribly overpriced Lightning to 30-pin adapters @ $39 + tax (it's the one with the 0.2M cable so I don't have to have a giant dongle hanging off the Nano). It's price gouging, but it worked perfectly as soon as I plugged it in.

Anyway for a little less than $200 I now have a modern, personalized sound system in the car that sounds so much better than Sirius radio and with many more features compared to Bluetooth audio:

• pause/play from the steering wheel's mute button (muted songs stop playing, just like a CD, so when you unmute things, you pick up where you left off in the song)
  • full access to playlists, artists, genres, songs, etc.
  • indirect access to the iPod's equalizer
  • color album jackets in the command console's display
I still like my Zune pass for access to obscure alternative bands from the 1980's and 1990's, but for everything else, my new iPod Nano does the trick.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This thing is really small and fits nicely in the center console.

0.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cool, but you do know that multi media package has nothing to do with the the ipod/Aux hookup. That's the premium package that offers those goodies l. The MM package is mostly just nav and rear view camera with a larger screen and some useless Sirius apps

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, I said in the OP that my car does not have the Multimedia Package. Anyway, my point is that the Apple iPod integrates really well with the Media Interface -- much nicer than just a Bluetooth connection.

And a lot cheaper than the $600 price for the Drive Kit Plus (not including an extra $500 or so for installation).

·
Registered
871 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but without the Multimedia Package you still get the iPod connector cable? I haven't officially received my car in the States so I don't know although Bluetooth + Spotify worked out pretty well for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pretty sure you need the Media Interface option ($200 in Canada) for the cable you are talking about...

Pardon my ignorance but without the Multimedia Package you still get the iPod connector cable? I haven't officially received my car in the States so I don't know although Bluetooth + Spotify worked out pretty well for me.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I still do not understand why any one would want to use the Apple Media Cable when you have other choices in playing your MP3 music. I have about 6gb of music with a copy on my computer, on my iPhone5 and on some micro USB Thumb drives. When I say micro, I mean they look like the USB connector you use with a wireless mouse (very small less then $10 on Amazon) I could put my whole collection on one device, but I use two to separate the different kinds of music that I enjoy listening too (say rock and oldies on one and everything else on another. Then I select to play back the music in a random order by track. The display on the Audio 20 head unit is the same as using any other source, including album covers. I own a 3rd gen iPod Nano and compared the two, playing the same music, I found the music on the USB drive when skipping to another track preforms at a much faster rate and maybe even sounded better. So if you think the USB port in the center console is only for charging, you are wrong. I have tried every format and I believe the USB Thumb Drive is the cheapest and best way to listen to your music collection.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was a tad annoyed after discovering that I needed to buy one of those ridiculously overpriced adapters for iPhone 5s.
Then I remembered the not that so old iPod Classic that I bought my kid a few years back in the back of a drawer. It had become instantly obsolete when he got his iPhone.
Quick update on iTunes, and plugged it into the centre console with the supplied media cable. Works perfect, album art and all. Out of sight and out of mind.
My iPhone and my money stay in my pocket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is no way to add the Apple Music app and WiFi network to iPod Nano and Shuffle. The alternative solution is to discover third-party software to bypass protection from Apple Music and convert M4P files to nano and shuffle compatible formats.

I have been using DRmare Audio Converter for Mac, an extraordinary and professional tool, which enables you to get rid of restrictions at 30X faster speed while transferring Apple Music M4P to supported formats by iPod nano and shuffle, like MP3, AAC, M4A, and others with zero quality lossless. Thanks to this smart tool, you can not only transfer Apple Music to iPod but also keep Apple Music on iPod permanently even if you have canceled the subscription.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I search for the solutions for few days. The reliable tool that I found is called AudFree Apple Music Converter. It offers you the ability to enjoy unlocked Apple Music songs on iPod at any time without limit. Apart from that, this smart tool can also convert the encrypted Apple Music M4P to MP3, AAC, WAV, FLAC, etc. with original ID3 tags preserved.

Under the help of this excellent Apple Music conversion tool, you can not only freely play any Apple Music song on iPod/iPod nano/shuffle, but can also back up the songs on any other device forever even after canceling the subscription.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts