Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've been eyeing a pair of AMG 18' rims for my red CLA250.

The problem is, they're replica rims. I went to the dealership to get a quote on OEM - 3800$ CAD.
Then I went on eBay - 2400$ CAD.

Those are prices I can't really envision right now.

I was wondering if anyone else here has purchased replica rims before? I'm finding a lot of options with great looks (DAI, RTX, American Racing, etc.) for 200-300$ a piece. much more affordable than what the dealership quotes me at. Or - aftermarket rims (OZ, Konig, etc) for 300+ that I can pull the trigger on.

I posted the same question on the MB Subreddit and got absolutely slapped with downvotes saying I'm being cheap and should sell my MB because I cant afford 4000$ rims, and that replica rims are complete shit.

Hoping to get a diff more constructive answer here

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
You dont have to get AMG wheels, you could get Vossen wheels for instance, and they are cheaper and look really good and IMO provide a chance to customize your car even more then just choosing some OEM wheels. But i understand the AMG wheels are pretty cool. I would get some cool bronze color wheels if my car was red.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have owned both replicas and "real" rims, and would not recommend the reps personally.

The reps tend to be fabricated with a lower grade of alloy, causing an increase in weight and an overall reduction in structural integrity (from what I found). You tend to see a lot more counter weights on rep wheels due to the low production quality as well, taking away from the aesthetics of the wheel (if visible)

I was driving on the reps and smoked a pot that was unavoidable. I didn't think there was any significant damaged as my friend I was following also hit the same hole, until we stopped and looked at the rim. I had an extreme dent in the rims, rendering it useless and needing to put on the spare tire. I understand that its a 5 spoke but the dent was on the spoke itself, where as my friends rims didn't have a single scratch and on top of that he was running a lower profile tire.

At the end of the day, unless your an enthusiasts no one will really be able to distinguish if your rims are "real" or reps. If you're just looking for the aesthetics of the reps, then by all means go ahead with them, but if your looking for longevity and proper performance then I would suggest forking up the money and buying the proper rims.

Also if you're going to proceed with the reps, at least get a decent set of tires. You wouldn't want to take away the ride quality completely

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought a second set of wheels when I raced my Subaru. They were wider and lighter than the stock wheels. I would only buy wheels that are better than stock. Cheap wheels may break or crack. Plus they are often heavier and will make you accelerate slower.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You dont have to get AMG wheels, you could get Vossen wheels for instance, and they are cheaper and look really good and IMO provide a chance to customize your car even more then just choosing some OEM wheels. But i understand the AMG wheels are pretty cool. I would get some cool bronze color wheels if my car was red.
Will definitely look into bronze wheels thanks! I think it might look killer on a red car. The only reason I’ve ignored the color so far is because I was under the impression it might be a bit too ‘ricer’ and takes away from the classiness of a Mercedes

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a second set of wheels when I raced my Subaru. They were wider and lighter than the stock wheels. I would only buy wheels that are better than stock. Cheap wheels may break or crack. Plus they are often heavier and will make you accelerate slower.
Aw man. My stock are OEM but I highly doubt I’ll be able to afford a brand new set of OEM rims. So you’d advise me against replica rims then, eh, since they may break or crack due to how cheap they are ? Thanks for the reply btw

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Reps are typically crack and bend prone
I waited for a good sale/promo to get some lighter wider forged rims and they are worth it
But if you are stuck on the oem rims ... which ones??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reps are typically crack and bend prone
I waited for a good sale/promo to get some lighter wider forged rims and they are worth it
But if you are stuck on the oem rims ... which ones??
Currently looking to get these ones here

Or a multispoke. Problem is - replicas are the only ones reasonably priced.

Is there any website besides Tire Rack you'd recommend for NA?

Searched through FB and all of them are curb rashed, lol

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Oh ... that one
Well there are many aftermarkets that mimic that design and are a few pounds lighter
Whats your max budget? I mean max max

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh ... that one
Well there are many aftermarkets that mimic that design and are a few pounds lighter
Whats your max budget? I mean max max
Looking to spend 1000 USD max on this (1.3k CAD)! I goddamn know there's gotta be something for that range :ROFLMAO:

I've been researching OEM vs Replica all week and so far, 90% of the sources say that Replica wheels are almost just as good as OEM in 2020, and it all comes down to personal preference (whether I'd want original rims or not). Makes me feel safer about putting replica rims on a Mercedes.

Also these would be summer-time only. Got OEM all season for winter.

Cheers, jmc. Always helpful :)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
center caps can make any wheel a Mercedes wheel. I would say to each his own but be warned that reps do tend to bend and crack. This price is just for the wheels correct?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
center caps can make any wheel a Mercedes wheel. I would say to each his own but be warned that reps do tend to bend and crack. This price is just for the wheels correct?
Correct, I've already got a solid set of Pirelli summer tires (regular, non run-flat tires)

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
For about 1k you can decent rims from enkei etc
and for same $ that class of rim is much better

·
Registered
82 Posts
Personally, I would't purchase replica's because I live in pothole infested NYC and they are knows to be a lower build quality than OEM but if I lived in an area with well maintained roads I would have no issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally, I would't purchase replica's because I live in pothole infested NYC and they are knows to be a lower build quality than OEM but if I lived in an area with well maintained roads I would have no issue.
Thanks for the advice! After much research and reading various opinions, I’ve decided to go with a set of König Impressions aftermarket wheels. Not too expensive, but also not as bad as replicas, and it’s from a reputable brand that’s been around for a while.

I think they’ll look quite neat!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I agree with most posters here, make sure you don't cheap out on quality/durability for just a "look-alike" ... It may end up being more expensive than getting the mercedes oem wheels.

Koenig make decent wheels... Also depends on the diameter of the wheels, the larger ones, you want to be sure you get good quality ones, as they tend to be more prone to pothole damage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with most posters here, make sure you don't cheap out on quality/durability for just a "look-alike" ... It may end up being more expensive than getting the mercedes oem wheels.

Koenig make decent wheels... Also depends on the diameter of the wheels, the larger ones, you want to be sure you get good quality ones, as they tend to be more prone to pothole damage.
Great point. I’ve read quite a bit that a lot of it depends on the tires you get too; not too thin as to absorb the shock, but not too thick as to hit the fenders either. My CLA has the 18” wheels, and I feel like that’s the fine line between either wheels too big (19” getting a bit risky on potholes) and too small (17” look tiny).

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Konigs are pretty good
That multispoke is gonna be one hell of a “cleaner”

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
I have the VS twin 5 spoke and I am already on the verge of grumbling every time I see a speck of stuff on them
But I tell ya the oem twin 5s were very easy to clean as they did not have terminal nooks just smooth transitions ... would have kept them if they did not weigh so much

1 - 20 of 23 Posts