Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I got my CLA250 on Monday. I am still enjoying the honey moon effect :)

However I wanted to discuss a few things regarding pricing and extras they offer at the moment of the pick up.

The salesman tried to offer me several extended warranties and extra insurances which I wasn't sure I? wanted all of them.

So I ended up picking (all of them for 5 years):

1. Free maintenance for 5 years (around U$S 2,000)
2. Tire and wheel replacement (around U$S 1,700)
3. Paint protect (around U$S 700)
4. Windshield replacement (around U$S 700)

Now the questions..

a. I suppose #1 is kind of mandatory for peace of mind and price assurance, right?
b. Are #2, #3 and #4 really worth it? Does it make sense to pay for these warranties?
c. Does anyone know what kind of insurance they provide for #3? Is it any kind of scratches or it has to be something in particular?
d. Isn't windshield insurance already paid by the regular (I have Geico) companies? Am I paying for these twice?
e. Can any of these be opted out at any time or once I singed I am stick to them for the 5 year term?

Thank you all!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello:

However I wanted to discuss a few things regarding pricing and extras they offer at the moment of the pick up.

The salesman tried to offer me several extended warranties and extra insurances which I wasn't sure I? wanted all of them.

Now the questions..

a. I suppose #1 is kind of mandatory for peace of mind and price assurance, right?
b. Are #2, #3 and #4 really worth it? Does it make sense to pay for these warranties?
c. Does anyone know what kind of insurance they provide for #3? Is it any kind of scratches or it has to be something in particular?
d. Isn't windshield insurance already paid by the regular (I have Geico) companies? Am I paying for these twice?
e. Can any of these be opted out at any time or once I singed I am stick to them for the 5 year term?

Thank you all!
My guy told me you can cancel any of these coverages at any point and they would refund you the prorated amount. With that having been said, my guy told me the paint one was a waste because these days your paint is basically a plastic wrap around your car. He said to scratch your car would really take some effort. He tried to sell me maintenance, but when I saw what they do for the first few maintenances I figure I can get a good mechanic to do that stuff. The one he really tried to sell me on was the tire and wheel one, and I'm still torn. I'm going back to today for something and they said I could still get the tire and wheel if I wanted to and I'm just not sure about it. He actually dropped price for me down to $900 which is nice, but still I'm so lost. He said cause my tires are so low pro, I would need it in case I cracked my rim, but I have no idea how common that is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
$2000 seems like a lot for 5 years of maintenance. Is this typical? I know BMW/Audi have similar deals, are they in that range as well?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Run while you can!!! They could probably lease you the car for $00.99/month with no money down, and still make money on those "insurance" packages.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, you are all saying I should get rid of all of them including the maintenance?

I just called geico regarding the windshield they told me that if anything happens to it and I need to replace it I would have to pay the premium (which in mine is 500) and they would cover the rest. So, I suppose that getting rid of the windshield insurance would not be a smart move because in this case is 720 for 5 years and I can get it replaced as many times as I want, right?

Now, If during the warranty time I go to a different dealer for regular maintenance, would that void any warranty on the car? How does it work?

Regarding the tires I checked TireRack and found that the whole set of tires (4) would cost less than U$S 900 dollars. Similar with the rims. I am really thinking about ditching the tire/wheels and pain insurance. Nor sure about the maintenance though. What do usually mercedes benz owner choose regarding maintenance? (you can tell this is my first mercedes :))

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
So, you are all saying I should get rid of all of them including the maintenance?

I just called geico regarding the windshield they told me that if anything happens to it and I need to replace it I would have to pay the premium (which in mine is 500) and they would cover the rest. So, I suppose that getting rid of the windshield insurance would not be a smart move because in this case is 720 for 5 years and I can get it replaced as many times as I want, right?

Now, If during the warranty time I go to a different dealer for regular maintenance, would that void any warranty on the car? How does it work?

Regarding the tires I checked TireRack and found that the whole set of tires (4) would cost less than U$S 900 dollars. Similar with the rims. I am really thinking about ditching the tire/wheels and pain insurance. Nor sure about the maintenance though. What do usually mercedes benz owner choose regarding maintenance? (you can tell this is my first mercedes :))
Slow down bro. I have geico over 20 years now. If you have glass coverage you pay nada. I've went through 4 windshields in the past 3 years. Also when you buy or lease you have up till 15k miles to get geico's warranty that covers your car for x amount of miles and can be used when out of warranty. Call them and inquire.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
67 Posts
Glass coverage will vary by state.
In NY I was covered. In Alaska and here in Alabama, no glass coverage - too many rocks flying around and therefore too many people driving around with glass that should have long ago been replaced.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just called my dealership asking if I could change any of the extras I got. Either by cancelling some or changing the time range. The guy was very rude and said I cannot do that once it has been signed. I hate salesman. They are nice to you before buying, after that they treat you like shit. I never trust them for any purchase I make. This time, I tried to be really cold about what to pick and what not to but since I am new to MB I had no idea about cost/benefit about each thing the guy was offering. Now that 1 day later I did my research and compared I want to kill myself.

Is it really true you cannot change any of these or the guy is just an asshole? Does any of you have any experience with that?

·
Registered
82 Posts
he's an ass! Your car that you order will have periods of time that you can switch (I just changed today) If your car is green you can change anything, yellow I think you can still change a lot. Once it goes into red status, I don't think you can change anything because its being built.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hello:

Now the questions..

Thank you all!
Answer is an emphatic NO to #1, #2, #3 & #4.
All are terrible deals from where the dealer make all their money. They make twice as much off these than from selling the car. Sometimes they are willing to lose money on the car sale
as long as they can make it up on the leases or these garbage.
1. In my dealership in California, "A" Service with coupon ( everyone gets it) is $169 at 10k. "B" service at 20k is $249. Then back to "A" service at 30k. The big one is at 100k when it will cost $2000. But most people don't get that far with the car, especially on a lease. The fact that you are only paying a third of it with a lease may be true and you have to do some calculation. I just don't pay in advance for anything in case I sell the car early.
2. Rim replacement is expensive but it is not a common event and my car insurance will cover at least part of that. I buy quality but inexpensive replacement tires from Tire Rack for a song. The insurance you buy from the dealership for $1700 they purchase from a secondary source for may be $400. The rest is profit. And when you have a claim, the payout is prorated to the wear of your tire. If you have 50% thread left, then you only get half the money.
3. Paint protection - well $700 buys a lot of touch up. Some make you file a claim with your car insurance first for significant paint damage.
4. Insurance will replace any glass damage. The question is your deductible. If you have a $500 deductible on your comprehensive coverage, then you have to pay that. I have replaced at least a half dozen windshields over the past 10 years because I commute daily and own multiple cars. I know.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just called my dealership asking if I could change any of the extras I got. Either by cancelling some or changing the time range. The guy was very rude and said I cannot do that once it has been signed. I hate salesman. They are nice to you before buying, after that they treat you like shit. I never trust them for any purchase I make. This time, I tried to be really cold about what to pick and what not to but since I am new to MB I had no idea about cost/benefit about each thing the guy was offering. Now that 1 day later I did my research and compared I want to kill myself.

Is it really true you cannot change any of these or the guy is just an asshole? Does any of you have any experience with that?
They can remove it for you depending on how long ago you contracted the car. I also think that you should never buy paint protection as its a waste of money. The tire warranty might be worth it if it was around $900.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
10 Posts
Going to a different dealer for regular maintenance does not void your warranty, as long as it is an "authorized" MB dealer/mechanic. You are free to take your vehicle to any MB authorized dealer/mechanic for regular maintenance. You are also entitled to request warranty work from any authorized MB dealer/mechanic. You can check MB for a list of authorized dealer/mechanic for maintenance and warranty work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The only one that I purchased was the tire and wheel ... I paid $1300.00 and have already claimed 2 damaged tires. ($742.00) Also if I had to replace an edition 1wheel they cost $1080. The policy also covers road hazard for any tire I put on for 5 years so I have found it worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Going to a different dealer for regular maintenance does not void your warranty, as long as it is an "authorized" MB dealer/mechanic. You are free to take your vehicle to any MB authorized dealer/mechanic for regular maintenance. You are also entitled to request warranty work from any authorized MB dealer/mechanic. You can check MB for a list of authorized dealer/mechanic for maintenance and warranty work.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. It's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else, regardless of whether that party is an "authorized" mechanic.

Reactions: Rapidfirerob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello:

Now the questions..

Thank you all!
I assume you bought this car?! I would see if you could get a discount or something on the maintenance plan or something! That one is like the most important. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! The maintenance usually covers anything as far as the engine goes, on the car. My friend in the past had a lot of work he had to have done on his Benz and every time he went in, it was costing him like $1000 every time! Crazy! It was like 3-4 times that I surely remember, thank god he traded it in on another Benz! Too many mechanical issues. I'm definitely getting the maintenance plan! If anything goes wrong, I don't want to pay anything out of pocket! With you having this car for a while, you never know what could happen, sometimes you get what you pay for and who better to fix it than the people that made the car! Tires, uh, if you're driving up in curbs and you don't know how to parallel park, then get it, if u can park and don't hit curbs, don't need it! Windshield, check your insurance co because most replace it without having to pay a deductible!
Paint protection, hmmm, if there is a scratch depending how deep it is, u could get that buffed out, but if it's a deep scratch then that would have to be replaced, you can't just cover that with paint. And if your paint is peeling or something and you haven't had your car long, MB needs to fix it for free! But #1, #3, #4 may actually come in handy though, just see what you can workout, tell them to throw it In as your gift from the dealer! Lol. A closed mouth does not get fed! It doesn't hurt to ask! I asked, well really told my dealer and they are hooking me up with these packages, rather be safe then sorry! In the end, it's still a Mercedes Benz, you're still going to pay for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi! I agre with what you say.
I would definitely recommend the maintenance package. Regarding the tire and wheel protection I ended up cancelling it and instead went to dicount tire and payed aroubd 150 for a lifetime warranty on the tires. It doesnt civer the wheels but the price i had paid for mine was more than 2k and I think that is a rip off. I am very happy I cancelled. The paint protection and the windhsield one I wasnt able to cancel (I would have if I could) but I suppose wheb something happens to the windshield I will be happy I didnt cancel :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi! I agre with what you say.
I would definitely recommend the maintenance package. Regarding the tire and wheel protection I ended up cancelling it and instead went to dicount tire and payed aroubd 150 for a lifetime warranty on the tires. It doesnt civer the wheels but the price i had paid for mine was more than 2k and I think that is a rip off. I am very happy I cancelled. The paint protection and the windhsield one I wasnt able to cancel (I would have if I could) but I suppose wheb something happens to the windshield I will be happy I didnt cancel :)
Hey, $150 sounds a lot better than $1700! Lol. Too bad you couldn't take off the other two, which u probably could have, they just wasn't going to let you! But you never know what could happen, it kind of gives you that comfy relief that you know you're covered god forbid if anything happens! Enjoy your car, can't wait to finally get mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I assume you bought this car?! I would see if you could get a discount or something on the maintenance plan or something! That one is like the most important. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! The maintenance usually covers anything as far as the engine goes, on the car. My friend in the past had a lot of work he had to have done on his Benz and every time he went in, it was costing him like $1000 every time! Crazy! It was like 3-4 times that I surely remember, thank god he traded it in on another Benz! Too many mechanical issues. I'm definitely getting the maintenance plan! If anything goes wrong, I don't want to pay anything out of pocket! With you having this car for a while, you never know what could happen, sometimes you get what you pay for and who better to fix it than the people that made the car! Tires, uh, if you're driving up in curbs and you don't know how to parallel park, then get it, if u can park and don't hit curbs, don't need it! Windshield, check your insurance co because most replace it without having to pay a deductible!
Paint protection, hmmm, if there is a scratch depending how deep it is, u could get that buffed out, but if it's a deep scratch then that would have to be replaced, you can't just cover that with paint. And if your paint is peeling or something and you haven't had your car long, MB needs to fix it for free! But #1, #3, #4 may actually come in handy though, just see what you can workout, tell them to throw it In as your gift from the dealer! Lol. A closed mouth does not get fed! It doesn't hurt to ask! I asked, well really told my dealer and they are hooking me up with these packages, rather be safe then sorry! In the end, it's still a Mercedes Benz, you're still going to pay for it!

um, I don't think the maintenance package covers what you think it does. but the regular warranty does. and it didn't cost an extra $2K. you do realize that the maintenance package is basically just oil changes don't you?

·
Registered
277 Posts
maintenance package

To be fair prepaid maintenance is not just oil changes. (I still think it is a ripoff)
In all fairness, they typically do a good job.
Not true for all brands, e.g.: I had prepaid maintenance on a prior car, a Jetta, and the
dealer would always overfilled oil.

Theoretically it also covers cabin air filter, engine air filter, brake fluid and windshield wipers.
(as needed). If you prepaid for it, you should have a service contract which spells all this out.

They replaced my brake fluid and CAF at the 2nd service (B service) I did not ask them or anything...
But when they broke my windshield wiper during one of the service appointments, they wanted my to
pay for the replacement out of pocket (something outrageous like $50 or $70 in their parts store).

I had to threaten them with a bad review, and they then replaced for free it but whined about it, and made it
sound like they did me a huge favor.

When i got home and looked at the prepaid service contract, the windshield wipers were listed as covered.

The list of inspections and checks is mostly just BS. E.g.: My service report said they inspected and lubricated
the rails on the sunroof. Kudos, except I do not have one. So it is clearly just a boilerplate list.

For such list to be credible, there would have to be an audit trail and accountability. e.g.; date and
initial of the service tech next to each of the inspection items they allegedly done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.