Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just had a meeting with Mercedes and here are some interesting facts!!!

There are only 350 CLA45s available for delivery through end of January
Only 200 of these cars will be delivered by end of December.
US dealers changed 1184 normal CLAs into CLA 45s
They have exactly 448 motors to date through January 18th.

Many of these additional orders that were slated for January production have been pushed back to June/14

I see many of you looking for discounts or best deals on CLA45. At this point getting a car is going to be luck enough...

Just thought I would share...If you have a VIN number congrats..your car is built. I see 35 of them wholesaled to dealers

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
So just had a meeting with Mercedes and here are some interesting facts!!!

There are only 350 CLA45s available for delivery through end of January
Only 200 of these cars will be delivered by end of December.
US dealers changed 1184 normal CLAs into CLA 45s
They have exactly 448 motors to date through January 18th.

Many of these additional orders that were slated for January production have been pushed back to June/14

I see many of you looking for discounts or best deals on CLA45. At this point getting a car is going to be luck enough...

Just thought I would share...If you have a VIN number congrats..your car is built. I see 35 of them wholesaled to dealers
So if not already in the que you're looking at 2015 MY?

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thats kind of what I told my MB rep, I think they were not expecting that many dtechs.. for sure.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is going to equate to a lot of lost potential sales of the CLA45. I can see a lot of people that are not willing to wait jump over to something else. Especially with the ATS-V and other performance oriented cars in a similar class looming in the not to distant future.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
This is going to equate to a lot of lost potential sales of the CLA45. I can see a lot of people that are not willing to wait jump over to something else. Especially with the ATS-V and other performance oriented cars in a similar class looming in the not to distant future.
This is very true in theory and may well be true in the long run. But based on past experience, the human mind desires things they can't get.
Think about this - 'yeah I can just cruise by my Caddy dealership and pick up a ATS-V tomorrow' vs ' God I would kill to get one of those 200 CLA45s available to the US...'
I am seriously hoping this won't evolve into the diaster of the M3 introduction in 2001 and 2008 when the early rare cars were marked up by $25000 and $30000.
They were extremely desirable because in 2001, the M3 output went from 240hp to a whopping class leading 333hp and in 2008, the output jumped from 333hp to 414hp.
The 355hp CLA45 is faster than both and in the same ground breaking genre. As Tim said in his post, there went any chance for discount or good lease deals...

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
If placing an order today means having to wait until JUNE of next year (at the earliest) I will seriously consider other options or maybe even just wait for a 2015 that has worked out some of the first year bugs.

-Eric

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm going to wait because this I have other cars and I'm in no rush...But don't think I won't be eyeballing the S4...LOL
This also gives a few other manufacturers time to catch up...If there is a Audi RS3 in the same time frame that I can look at and it wets my whistle then I could change my plans all together...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If placing an order today means having to wait until JUNE of next year (at the earliest) I will seriously consider other options or maybe even just wait for a 2015 that has worked out some of the first year bugs.

-Eric
Eric, I am also thinking the same but remember you can't just give up your current spot and get on a 2015 allocation as there will be a long line already formed by those pushed back into late 2014 and 2015.
If you opt out of your current car, you will have to join all those in limbo as no dealer can guarantee you a spot in 2015 as they are a long way from their 2015 allocation. As in the past, they can say they are
putting you on their own internal "wait list" but I know how non-transparent those lists are. We are fortunate to be early on the order list. You know because of the rarity of the CLA, you will be
1. Envy of your local community, 2. possess the option of selling the car if you wish for probably more than you paid for in 6-8 months.
If I am unlucky enough to get squeezed out, then I may not be looking for anything as I am not really in need of a car and the CLA45 just intrigues me at around $50k. Much more than that I am going to lose interest.
May be the S3 will arouse my interest if it looks half way decent but early renditions have the car looking like a 135i :(

·
Registered
294 Posts
No disrespect to Blownaway, but it would be nice to have a solid confirmation from a 2nd source or some of our own individual dealers before we all assume the worst case. Sometimes the message can become less than accurate as it gets passed through multiple people down the line.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We own three Mercedese dealerships, I assure you my information is correct. As far as I know the only other upper management person on here is Brad Schrader from Mercedes of Orland Park all others are sales associates.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for your help , blownaway. Great that you are willing to help people here that are in different parts of the country and not really potential customers of yours.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Eric, I am also thinking the same but remember you can't just give up your current spot and get on a 2015 allocation as there will be a long line already formed by those pushed back into late 2014 and 2015.
If you opt out of your current car, you will have to join all those in limbo as no dealer can guarantee you a spot in 2015 as they are a long way from their 2015 allocation. As in the past, they can say they are
putting you on their own internal "wait list" but I know how non-transparent those lists are. We are fortunate to be early on the order list. You know because of the rarity of the CLA, you will be
1. Envy of your local community, 2. possess the option of selling the car if you wish for probably more than you paid for in 6-8 months.
If I am unlucky enough to get squeezed out, then I may not be looking for anything as I am not really in need of a car and the CLA45 just intrigues me at around $50k. Much more than that I am going to lose interest.
May be the S3 will arouse my interest if it looks half way decent but early renditions have the car looking like a 135i :(
I wish there was a "we" but I was waiting to place my order until I had a chance to sit in a CLA with my wife (despite her agreeing that I should just put down a deposit to reserve a spot anyway). Nevertheless, I don't disagree with you that it's exciting to be an early adopter and that there are often benefits (e.g., lower base cost). Everything you said is true.

Also, while I am not in desperate need of a car -- my Volvo has 54K miles on it and is in great shape -- I'm mentally ready for it. You know when you just want something new, right? I've been eyeballing different cars for the past few years and none of them have really captured my heart. I'll spare you the spiel on my car search issues which you've probably read countless time before. Suffice it to say, nothing else on the market that fits my needs really excites me and that bums me out.

As for the S3, it hasn't really piqued my interest until recently. Some of the early pictures I'd seen of the interior made it look plasticky; not really consistent with Audi's reputation. This video on the Audi website, however, suggests otherwise:
[video]http://www.audiusanews.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://assets.iconicweb.com/assets/64899/hq_10375.mp4&autoStart=false&image=http://assets.iconicweb.com/assets/64904/10375.jpg&height=290&width=470[/video]

In fact, it looks better thought out (and higher end) than the CLA. Just look at the function of the NAV screen (as opposed to the "not-an-afterthought-even-though-it-looks-like-it" dashboard appendage on the CLA). And, if packaging is consistent with the S4, those seats will be standard in the S3.

Its exterior is still typical Audi without much evolution from current models though. While I like it because I am an Audi fan, it doesn't transfix me the way the 45 does.

As you know, its engine is only supposed to generate 300hp (as opposed to the CLA's 355). I know the performance estimates have it within a hair of the CLA45's factory numbers but it remains to be seen whose numbers are more accurate. Then again its probably going to come in about $10K cheaper than the CLA45 and that's a whole lot of money for Stage 1, 2 and 3 mods....assuming I'm willing to wait until...when?...Spring 2015? Geez.

Anyway, I'm not writing anything off. At this point I just want to see the darn thing. I need a good hour to get out, spend time at the dealer and get back but my schedule is crazy and all of the windows I "reserved" keep getting shut. Anyway, maybe I'll drag the kids to one of the dealers tomorrow if they're both in good moods.

-Eric

·
Registered
328 Posts
Tim,

I had my rep check the MB system and it shows a schedule build date of 13/11-3D (decade 3 of Nov). Should I still be concerned about a post January delivery date? he estimated Jan 2014.

Thanks for this info in advance.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I wish there was a "we" but I was waiting to place my order until I had a chance to sit in a CLA with my wife (despite her agreeing that I should just put down a deposit to reserve a spot anyway). Nevertheless, I don't disagree with you that it's exciting to be an early adopter and that there are often benefits (e.g., lower base cost). Everything you said is true.

Also, while I am not in desperate need of a car -- my Volvo has 54K miles on it and is in great shape -- I'm mentally ready for it. You know when you just want something new, right? I've been eyeballing different cars for the past few years and none of them have really captured my heart. I'll spare you the spiel on my car search issues which you've probably read countless time before. Suffice it to say, nothing else on the market that fits my needs really excites me and that bums me out.

As for the S3, it hasn't really piqued my interest until recently. Some of the early pictures I'd seen of the interior made it look plasticky; not really consistent with Audi's reputation. This video on the Audi website, however, suggests otherwise:
[video]http://www.audiusanews.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://assets.iconicweb.com/assets/64899/hq_10375.mp4&autoStart=false&image=http://assets.iconicweb.com/assets/64904/10375.jpg&height=290&width=470[/video]

In fact, it looks better thought out (and higher end) than the CLA. Just look at the function of the NAV screen (as opposed to the "not-an-afterthought-even-though-it-looks-like-it" dashboard appendage on the CLA). And, if packaging is consistent with the S4, those seats will be standard in the S3.

Its exterior is still typical Audi without much evolution from current models though. While I like it because I am an Audi fan, it doesn't transfix me the way the 45 does.

As you know, its engine is only supposed to generate 300hp (as opposed to the CLA's 355). I know the performance estimates have it within a hair of the CLA45's factory numbers but it remains to be seen whose numbers are more accurate. Then again its probably going to come in about $10K cheaper than the CLA45 and that's a whole lot of money for Stage 1, 2 and 3 mods....assuming I'm willing to wait until...when?...Spring 2015? Geez.

Anyway, I'm not writing anything off. At this point I just want to see the darn thing. I need a good hour to get out, spend time at the dealer and get back but my schedule is crazy and all of the windows I "reserved" keep getting shut. Anyway, maybe I'll drag the kids to one of the dealers tomorrow if they're both in good moods.

-Eric
Put the kids to bed early tonight Eric.;)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts