Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another battery thread. My Duralast AGM main battery fron Autozone suddenly died on me after 1yr 11mo (23K miles). I tried to take care of this battery by almost never using the ECO start/stop to avoid draining and topping it off with a battery maintainer every weekend.

Funny thing is I never got any warning signs unlike the Vartas. The ECO start/stop functioned normally that day until it suddenly went kaput. Car was plain dead, not even ambient lights. Surface charge was 4.84V when hooked up to the car but shoots back to 12.73V disconnected. Gave 347 CCA on the tester. The car's alternator is functioning within normal parameters.

My OEM Varta lasted 3 years, the warrantly replacement (also Varta) lasted three years. Good thing Duralast has 3 years warranty so Autozone swapped it out no questions asked. Only caveat is Autzone gave me a 5-month old new battery as a replacement. Not exactly fresh. Let's see how long this one lasts. Ill try another brand once this dies.

Font Automotive tire Gas Bumper Computer hardware
Bumper Font Automotive exterior Gas Audio equipment
Hand Watch Finger Gesture Electrical wiring
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
i am not the only one that batts dont like

(halloween pun)

both varta units died suddenly at 2 yrs no warning no nothing ... never use eco etc etc

luck of the draw ... an internal fab defect will propagate over time

my 3rd oem varta still with me ... holds 12.8v after 72hrs w/o the ctek despite the constant 250~350ma parasitics

hope your 3rd is a charm

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
did this 6 yrs (!!) ago ... one of the best "conveniences" in the engine bay :)
silly thing still works (it's one of those outdoor motorcycle meters and a simple toggle)
sometimes i have to park at the airport for a few days so no ctek care for the poor battery
and if it doesn't show like 12.6 or better i flip a coin ...

Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts