Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2013 CLA with sport suspension, 50k miles.

Sometimes when driving over small bumps on a road from the front wheels department I can hear "unhealthy", clunky sound.
I've made some self inspection of the suspension and one thing caught my eye.
In a video pasted below my front left(and right) wheel's sway bar link can move, is that for a replace?
https://streamable.com/h80o5

·
Registered
210 Posts
They all move.
The newer the car the harder is to turn those, older will be easier , like yours.
you need to look for the parts that has play,not loosely twisted.

Any mechanic can help you with this. NO dealer visit necessary. diy project.
C

Reactions: Smart Junior

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you can see if you can push up and down on the front of the car and have someone listen for the noise (effectively exercising the suspension). It may be that you ball joints have worn out. Stabilizer end links rarely go bad but not impossible.

Reactions: Smart Junior

·
Registered
10,954 Posts
I periodically raise the wheels off the ground, grab the wheel, and attempt to “shake” it while listening for mechanical klunks and loose joints. That usually indicates what components may be worn.
And as others have pointed out above, that rod movement is normal as it has yokes at both ends.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys :eek:k:,
Everything clear now, I was suspicious whether link should move or not.
I'll try to play around with the wheel and observe what's happening.

And as Caugh said every mechanic can solve this very quickly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

I have an update about this topic and clunking noise coming from the front left wheel.

Today I've visited the local dealer, after an hour of waiting they called me to the workshop to show me something.
First, they couldn't say whats the real cause of the clunking noise, but they noticed that my power steering motor is not working properly(strange noise) and should be replaced, after it's replaced they can proceed with clunking noise diagnosis ?!
They gave me 2 options:
1. Replace the motor - 1500$
2. Replace whole steering gear rack assembly - 3000$
I recorded the sound:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SbV3xZxgUIA_xh4NpsiuohTaSP9x67rZ/view?usp=sharing

Now the "funny" details... car is out of warranty.
What do you suggest I should do?
Car was always serviced at the dealer, it has 75000km (46000 miles), never crashed or something like that.
Should MB cover part of this, since this is a major issue?

They had recall similar to this one:
Mercedes-Benz Recalls C-Class 4Matic Cars for Steering - Top News - Safety & Accident - Top News - Automotive Fleet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi May I know if the situation have been solved ? I'm experiencing some clunking noise too may I know what sort of steering noise you experienced ? Steering rack is not cheap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts