Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if the multimedia package work with the Becker map pilot unit. If so, does the 45 come with it prewired like what I'm hearing the base model CLAs are?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'm wondering if the multimedia package work with the Becker map pilot unit. If so, does the 45 come with it prewired like what I'm hearing the base model CLAs are?

Any ideas?
Why would you need the Becker Map Pilot if you already have the Multi-media. It comes with a far better GPS.
Is you are in the United States, the prewiring is a $200 option on the CLA45. Heard on the forum the prewiring is standard in Europe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure which is better. I do have the multimedia package but the Benz Becker video seem to indicate it's better with more features.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Umm why not get the iphone interface? You can tell Siri to input addressess and search for POIs on google and the NAV is a 3-d garmin based platform that will be ridiculously better than both the becker and the factory COMAND system. For $600 its $200 less than the becker with pre-wiring and much less than the multimedia package. The iphone 5 interface is coming out in NOv/Dec this year and can easily be installed by the dealership.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Umm why not get the iphone interface? You can tell Siri to input addressess and search for POIs on google and the NAV is a 3-d garmin based platform that will be ridiculously better than both the becker and the factory COMAND system. For $600 its $200 less than the becker with pre-wiring and much less than the multimedia package. The iphone 5 interface is coming out in NOv/Dec this year and can easily be installed by the dealership.
I agree!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone know if you don't get the multimedia package is the screen actually smaller?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've been curious about it too, there is little info on this car on the web as it's so new. Probably from your friendly MB dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been curious about it too, there is little info on this car on the web as it's so new. Probably from your friendly MB dealer.
Google "drive kit plus" and there is a web page and youtube videos with demonstration. You can also install the app on your iphone from itunes and check it out. Looks like the nav system is a garmin based system and you can tell Siri to do stuff just by pushing a button on the steering wheel, such as inputting addressess or googling an address or location. And the nav software looks much better than the becker or the factory system. Not sure why you wouldn't get this if you have an iphone. Only limiting factor is the iphone 5 fix isn't out yet so if youre getting yours in october like me you will have to wait to have it installed before having navigation in the vehicle.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Awesome "heads up" Doc1, thank you!

It's a little confusing because on some of the YouTube videos it makes it seem like all you need is the app but it appears you also need to invest in the $599 dealer installed accessory. Is that your understanding? Or is it the app what costs $599? Have to ask, wouldn't put it past MB, lol.

·
Registered
256 Posts
kenbefound ... your assumption is correct regarding the cost of the software for the car, not the app. My understanding is the following. You buy the Drive Kit Plus from your dealer for $599 and they install the software and provide connectivity cable. This "integrates" the iPhone (4/4S) into the car's entertainment system, which means you can access some of the applications you have on the phone via the car's screen and use the car's controller to do so. You can enhance the interface experience with the free Mercedes-Benz Digital DriveStyle App available at the Apple App Store. This particular app has many useful features, bells, and whistles that you can access via the phone and display on the car's navi screen. At present, there were no reviews listed for the app in the store. Remember, the Kit only works for iPhone 4/4S; a software update for the iPhone 5 is forthcoming by end of 2013.

·
Registered
18 Posts
kenbefound ... your assumption is correct regarding the cost of the software for the car, not the app. My understanding is the following. You buy the Drive Kit Plus from your dealer for $599 and they install the software and provide connectivity cable. This "integrates" the iPhone (4/4S) into the car's entertainment system, which means you can access some of the applications you have on the phone via the car's screen and use the car's controller to do so. You can enhance the interface experience with the free Mercedes-Benz Digital DriveStyle App available at the Apple App Store. This particular app has many useful features, bells, and whistles that you can access via the phone and display on the car's navi screen. At present, there were no reviews listed for the app in the store. Remember, the Kit only works for iPhone 4/4S; a software update for the iPhone 5 is forthcoming by end of 2013.
Very close, mrjad20. From everything I've seen however you cannot access any apps on your iphone using the dealer-installed kit. The kit instead interfaces directly with the drivestyle app on your phone. The app lets you access internet radio, navigation, your mp3s, and has limited access to facebook and twitter. Does not look like you can access other apps using this kit, just those that the drivestyle app interfaces with.

From the A class brochure:

"With the "Drive Kit Plus for the iPhone®", your iPhone® 4/4S is comprehensively integrated
in the A-Class. It is integrated through the interaction of the
Mercedes-Benz app called "Digital DriveStyle" with the "Drive Kit Plus for the iPhone®" interface in the vehicle, where the iPhone® is connected and charged.
The "Digital DriveStyle" app is available free of charge at the iTunes® App Store [2]. In the app, extensive functions are seamlessly integrated in the new revolutionary user interface and shown on the vehicle display [3] . With the iPhone® connected, the "Digital DriveStyle" app is reliably and conveniently controlled via the ergonomically designed Controller.

Some of the functions of the "Digital DriveStyle" app:

Advanced navigation solution from Garmin® with web-based real-time traffic information, Points of Interest search and 3D map presentation.
Local search function powered by Google™ of Points of Interest with StreetView™ and destination transfer to Navigation.
AUPEO!™ Personal Radio with individual music programming.
Internet radio with national and international stations.
Access to the track titles stored in your iPhone®.
Facebook® Feeds and Twitter® Tweets from friends are read out aloud[4].
Socially interactive experience through sharing and posting, e.g. the title of the song currently playing or of the navigation destination on Facebook® and Twitter®.
Glympse™: Communicate to your friends - in real-time - your current location, your vehicle speed and estimated time of arrival.
Intuitive CarFinder with automatic storing of vehicle location on iPhone®. By means of the integrated pedestrian navigation function in the iPhone® it is possible to find one's vehicle conveniently."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts