Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't know how much heavier a straight pipe is than the resonator and mufflers you removed but even if they are heavier, I cannot imagine they are heavier enough that your car would feel noticeably slower. I can't imagine your car ever felt noticeably slower when a friend (150-200 lbs) jumped into the passenger seat. Why would an incrementally heavier pipe make a noticeable difference?

I think the problem you created is that by removing the mufflers and resonator and replacing it all with a large straight pipe, you actually somehow made the flow of the exhaust less efficient, if not slower than it was with the mufflers in place. Think of an exhaust like a garden hose. Make it too thin and its not going to let out enough water. Make it too wide and water is just going to trickle out of it. But, somewhere in between, is the right width hose that will allow for water to evacuate with decent pressure. I'd bet you went the equivalent of "too wide" with whatever you used to replace the exhaust bits and that's why you've lost power. Your new straight pipes, even if they're steel, just can't weigh THAT much more than the stock aluminum system with its mufflers and resonator so that your car now feels slower.

-Eric
Interesting...so if I go back
To
My
Exhaust shop guy, would he just need to replicate the width of the stock mufflers?

I think it has been a loss of power feeling instead of weight and that makes much more sense. I will have to dyno the car soon.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
HID installed, and Mercedes Emblem Door Locator Light.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hello everyone. Got some big updates that I have done over the past week.
First off, exterior. I really wanted to do the rear AMG bumper conversion so that I would be able to install an aggressive diffuser on the back.
Searching wise was a bit hard. At first, I wanted to go brand new, but the cost for the bumper alone unpainted was quite expensive. So I stumbled upon a used CLA AMG rear bumper. Unpainted. The damage done to the bumper was minimal and repairable. So I pulled the plug and bought it.
After doing so, I went ahead and purchased the piecha rear diffuser and tips from a forum member here. Since I was going for the piecha look, I decided to also get the piecha rear 3 piece ducklip spoiler as well.

The parts came in and I was set for the install.
I took it to my shop in SoCal called L&A garage. Leo did great work on my car and really helped me out.
He test fit the bumper and it was a perfect fit. No real issues with the bumper. Now when the diffuser was installed, it did interfere with the exhaust shield underneath. (I believe that's what it's called.) so he just removed that and welded on the exhaust and that was that.
Now the paint part. The place that sold the used rear bumper was a bit tacky. The primer they used was cheap and bad, so he fixed it up and painted it. The paint is now flawless. After about 3 days, the car was set and ready to be seen!

IMG_2717.PNG IMG_2716.PNG IMG_2715.PNG IMG_2714.PNG IMG_2709.PNG IMG_2710.PNG

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks really good. As you know I also am a non sport CLA owner. It has been trying to say the least trying to find parts that are not for FWD only or Sport AMG body. But I will forge ahead and find them or have them made. Did you already do the front bumper?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Looks really good. As you know I also am a non sport CLA owner. It has been trying to say the least trying to find parts that are not for FWD only or Sport AMG body. But I will forge ahead and find them or have them made. Did you already do the front bumper?
I kept the non amg front bumper. Mainly because I love how it looks.
It is hard though to find parts.
I am in the process of having custom made front splitter/canards and side skirts. I'll keep it updated.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Turned out a real unique combo there. @DavidCLA250, you just added a new trim for the MB CLA line up, haha :eek:k:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well keep us posted with some progress pics. My MB carbon fiber splitter came in today got it on ebay for $150. But its going back tomorrow. Opened the box unwrapped it and a 2" deep gouge in the visible carbon fiber. So back on the hunt for another that's not $400. New alloy pedals & H&R Springs will be in Friday. And Tint getting done tomorrow. Still undecided on what rims to get though. I will post some pics when I get some work done.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Added some custom made aero! This AeroKit was designed by a buddy of mine who has been working on custom aero for quite some time now.
The kit not only looks beautiful, but it also has helped with downforce in the front and increased FWD handling at high speeds, which is exactly what I wanted. I asked for mine to be made a little bit bigger in the front for other reasons, but for those who have the non sport bumper and want some aero, send me a private message! IMG_3255.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG

And the side skirts as well!
IMG_3220.JPG

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Added on some new wheels! And H&R lowering springs!
Running tsm vale rims(19x9.5) with federal RS RR tires, (super sticky)
Going to be taking the car out to the track sometime to represent all of the Cla250's!
Already tested out the car (on closed course) and going about 120, the car just tucks down from the front splitter and the handling is amazing.
This track build is really starting to come together.

Any advice on what I should do next for handling? Front strut bar? Engine damper?

IMG_3406.JPG IMG_3404.JPG IMG_3384.PNG IMG_3375.JPG

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What's the offset on the wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to sure actually. Someone said 20mm but not sure if that's right. They are 19x9.5 and just perfect with it lowered.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Check out how my Cla250 handles in the canyons against a friends Lamborghini gallardo superleggera

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Nice relaxing sunday drive ... on the other side of the road (rhd) 
The camera was actually upside down to fit in my windshield, so I flipped the video with editing and that's what happened lol.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
ive always liked the way those wheels look.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
ive always liked the way those wheels look.
They look even better in person. Popped in the Mercedes hub cap and they look great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@DavidCLA250 well done buddy. your car looks amazing.
the car color looks epic. I love it.
Whats the total cost of all the things you have done / added?
and could you add here a youtube video with the sound of your exhaust? curious

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
@DavidCLA250 well done buddy. your car looks amazing.
the car color looks epic. I love it.
Whats the total cost of all the things you have done / added?
and could you add here a youtube video with the sound of your exhaust? curious
Thank you, I forgot the cost of everything but I know everything in total is over 5k
And I have sound clips on my YouTube channel. It's just called David haag

21 - 40 of 42 Posts