Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing all 4 tires here soon. I currently have the Pirelli Cinturato all season run flats 225/40 R18 92H. Should I continue with these or is there a better option for improved performance and a more comfortable ride?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
There are plenty of good performance tires out there, but most of us have grappled with the comfort aspect, especially on city streets. It's hard to get a soft ride out of low profile tires, and it seems nobody's found a tire that provides more than slightly softer ride than the norm. I found Michelins to be a little better than Bridgestones, but only a little (and A/S 3s were slightly better than PS.) One approach is to get smaller wheels and higher profile tires to keep the current overall height of your tires, since the car is calibrated to that height.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
Michelin PS4s are what i keep hearing. I recently changed my yokohamas as they were done to some mid tier tires called Nexens as im not looking to spend +1k every year or two on rubber lol

because this car is eating tires too fast. So far so good tho

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Michelin PS4s are what i keep hearing. I recently changed my yokohamas as they were done to some mid tier tires called Nexens as im not looking to spend +1k every year or two on rubber lol

because this car is eating tires too fast. So far so good tho
PS4s don't get top ratings for comfort even on Michelin's own site.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
If you want a "comfortable" car, you should by a S550 instead of a CLA.. :LOL:
(Sound of head thunking) Jeez! Why didn't I think of that?!

Oh, yeah, the fact that the S550 costs three times as much.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Except on their ultra-high performance tires intended for racing, most tiremakers strive for both performance and comfort.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have PS4s, they may be overkill but I like knowing I have the best performance if I ever need. Performance = safety in stopping.

These tires are kinda amazing. Ive driven across PA in them in some horrible rainstorms and I have put them to the test on many twisty backroads. Absolutely have confidence in them. Especially when compared to the garbage tier summer tire - Dunlops that came with the car.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
I will second the continental contact sport.
After break in they are quiet, sticky, comfortable compared to oem runflats.
And 21.6lb for a 235/40-18 is pretty light.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
You had no trouble with the wider tire?
Actually it turns out the gearing is set up for 235/40-18 in terms of speedo accuracy ... and it seems my data logs support that - always wondered why the engine rpm at specific speeds were a bit off despite known gear ratios
235/40-18 is the standard for early 45s with the base 18x8 rim
I also use new 18x8 rims with 48mm offset ... which is also the base 45 setup so the extra tire section width is offset outward a little to further clear suspension parts
There is a lot of room if one leaves the ride height stock ... 245 with the right rim/sidewall combo will work too - but that just adds mass and increases road going harshness

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
13 Participants
jmc
Mercedes CLA Forum
We’re a community dedicated to the Mercedes-Benz CLA & CLA45 AMG. We offer CLA pictures, technical discussions, and more from owners across the world.
Full Forum Listing