Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The Michelins PS AS 3+ are the best compromise. If your CLA sports the sport package, no tires will make it ride comfortably.
That's been my experience. Michelin strove to make them competitive with tires that emphasize performance while also making the ride a bit more comfortable. But there's only so much you can do with current low-profile constraints, run-flat or otherwise.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Well in my recent experience with 40 section tires the nonrunflat sport tires are certainly more comfy than their runflat counterparts
Much less drama and jarring acoustics now when going over lane markers and bumps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have Continental Extremecontact Sport, performance are up there :p but a bit expensive and maybe too much for a 250 ?
Actually the Continental Extreme contacts are only a few bucks more per tire then the Pirelli's and the reviews have been very good, so I'm going with them. Thanks for your recommendation David :-D

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Actually the Continental Extreme contacts are only a few bucks more per tire then the Pirelli's and the reviews have been very good, so I'm going with them. Thanks for your recommendation David :-D
Good choice!
Personally I believe they are a tad better than those from uncle P

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ditch the Pirelli's and get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, you won't regret it.
Just installed these replacing the continentals extreme contacts that came with the car and the car drives like a whole new beast, low road noise smooth like butter, and sticks to the ground, definitely worth the upgrade

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just installed these replacing the continentals extreme contacts that came with the car and the car drives like a whole new beast, low road noise smooth like butter, and sticks to the ground, definitely worth the upgrade
Yeah its kinda surreal how much a difference the ps4s make. It is really the first tire that has increased my confidence when putting the car through its paces lol.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Yours were the previous generation ECs correct?
I had those, and now have the ECSport, and quite a bit of difference.
Though for next time the P4S is on my radar ... though by that time it may be the P5T

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will be replacing all 4 tires here soon. I currently have the Pirelli Cinturato all season run flats 225/40 R18 92H. Should I continue with these or is there a better option for improved performance and a more comfortable ride?
hi i am selling 245/40/18 Yokohama Advan sport let me know if you are interested in

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mine originally came with Continental. They performed well but rode rough only lasted 20K. Next Michelins same routine. Then bought Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus - 225/45R17/XL 94H Tire but not run flats! All the difference in the world, great performance, better ride (still a CLA250 mind you) but now at about 30K on them and still plenty of rubber.

IMHO - Dumping the run flats changes the dynamic. When it was time for tires on my wife's CLA300 we went to Michelin Cross Climates (SUV) non-run flats - same results. Run flats have stiffer walls which is a big negative in most all aspects. I found making the switch away and buying a tire goop and mini-compressor kit at Wally-world for back-up has worked wonders for our vehicles.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Hi stranger! I mean Al
I just got nonrunflats a coupla months back and sure is a lot less magic mountain colossusy ride now ... but its a little mushy on corners
CLA300? We are all jealous!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi stranger! I mean Al
I just got nonrunflats a coupla months back and sure is a lot less magic mountain colossusy ride now ... but its a little mushy on corners
Jmc, which tires did you get? My RFTs still has lots of meat on them, but I’m thinking of ditching them for non-RFTs. Wife wants a more quiet ride and I’m not about to trade this in.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi stranger! I mean Al
Oops! Senior moment - Should be GLC300.

Re: "mushy" - are you breaking them free? Do they wander or squeal? This may be the way they're supposed to feel and you just got used to the overly stiff sidewalls on RFs. An extreme-contact sport tire really shouldn't be mushy. I'm not feeling this to any real extent from my middle-of-the-road, all-season Pirellis. We have lots of curvy, river and mountain roads around here, as well as on and off-ramps and so far my car seems to always go where I point it.

Feeling mushy in comparison, is one of the few aspects experienced because of the aforementioned change away from stiffer sidewalls. Are you using the recommended Mercedes or the max. tire company tire pressure?

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Oops! Senior moment - Should be GLC300.

Re: "mushy" - are you breaking them free? Do they wander or squeal? This may be the way they're supposed to feel and you just got used to the overly stiff sidewalls on RFs. An extreme-contact sport tire really shouldn't be mushy. I'm not feeling this to any real extent from my middle-of-the-road, all-season Pirellis. We have lots of curvy, river and mountain roads around here, as well as on and off-ramps and so far my car seems to always go where I point it.

Feeling mushy in comparison, is one of the few aspects experienced because of the aforementioned change away from stiffer sidewalls. Are you using the recommended Mercedes or the max. tire company tire pressure?
this thing has not broken free yet (knock on asphalt!!) regardless of tires
sidewalls on the rfts just squat into a corner and thats it no drama except maybe some loose teeth
sidewalls on the nonrfts do the same but just a little more squish before exiting and my teeth stay put
have been using 35.5/31.5psi (cold) as its been rather warm lately
they get hotter up to 39/34psi on longer drives
overall the ride is smoother ... thank goodness!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just replaced my Drive Guards with plenty of tread with new Michelin Pilot a/s 3+. My wife was complaining about ride quality and road noise.

Before doing that, I used my iPhone to measure the db on this one stretch of road, going 35 mph (85 degrees F). It came in at 70 db. After the replacing the tires, I went to down the same stretch of road and it measured at 65 db. By comparison, that’s the sound level at a stop light with AC blowing full blast. So there is a minor reduction in road noise.

Subjectively, it’s a little smoother but not by much. I wouldn’t say it’s night and day as some people rated the change from RFT to Non-RFT. If I could do it again, I’d probably wait until the Drive Guards were done or damaged before switching.

If you really have to keep RFTs, I’d recommend the Drive Guards for the fact that their noise and ride quality is very similar to non-RFTs.

I guess the ride quality and road noise is just something I’d have to live with. Time will tell if these Michelins will improve with age.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
well do keep in mind every 3db is technically 2X but our ears are nonlinear so it may not seem like much
your numbers are about right ... i use android apps like frequensee during test drives and keeping an eye on any interior changes/degradation
your driveguards are probably less jarring than the oem bridgestones i just relieved of duty ... those things are like riding on train wheels

·
Registered
317 Posts
this thing has not broken free yet (knock on asphalt!!) regardless of tires
sidewalls on the rfts just squat into a corner and thats it no drama except maybe some loose teeth
sidewalls on the nonrfts do the same but just a little more squish before exiting and my teeth stay put
have been using 35.5/31.5psi (cold) as its been rather warm lately
they get hotter up to 39/34psi on longer drives
overall the ride is smoother ... thank goodness!
Thanks for the feed-back. Please let us know if your MPG's have changed and how many miles you get out of them at replacement time.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts