Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used CLA 250 and the right passenger headlight is not functioning properly. I noticed that it had condensation in the housing and while I was driving it I received 3 different error codes saying "check right fog light, day time running light" and one other I can't recall at this moment. This was at a used car log not at MB but the dealer agreed to fix the headlight when I purchased the vehicle. Well he didn't realize how expensive the bi-xenon's are and when I returned to get it repaired I saw that he had purchased two halogen lights instead since that set was cheaper than just my right light. I told him that those were not the correct lights and we ended up getting into a major argument about it unfortunately in Florida their is no cool down period or anything I can legally do at this point to force him to do the right thing. In his eyes he is giving me to functioning head lights which "fixes" the problem. But from what I am reading on here it's not going to be a pug and play solution. All the threads I have found though are going the opposite direction because of course who in their right mind would remove 2,000 dollar headlights to put in halogens. As a last resort I may just tell him to forget about it and I will just eat the loss and replace it my self if I need to. If it was a plug and play swap I was going to let him do it and just ask to keep the working light and then sell the two halogens and pay for the replacement myself but if they are going to have to cut or modify the wire harness that may not work out.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I recently bought a used CLA 250 and the right passenger headlight is not functioning properly. I noticed that it had condensation in the housing and while I was driving it I received 3 different error codes saying "check right fog light, day time running light" and one other I can't recall at this moment. This was at a used car log not at MB but the dealer agreed to fix the headlight when I purchased the vehicle. Well he didn't realize how expensive the bi-xenon's are and when I returned to get it repaired I saw that he had purchased two halogen lights instead since that set was cheaper than just my right light. I told him that those were not the correct lights and we ended up getting into a major argument about it unfortunately in Florida their is no cool down period or anything I can legally do at this point to force him to do the right thing. In his eyes he is giving me to functioning head lights which "fixes" the problem. But from what I am reading on here it's not going to be a pug and play solution. All the threads I have found though are going the opposite direction because of course who in their right mind would remove 2,000 dollar headlights to put in halogens. As a last resort I may just tell him to forget about it and I will just eat the loss and replace it my self if I need to. If it was a plug and play swap I was going to let him do it and just ask to keep the working light and then sell the two halogens and pay for the replacement myself but if they are going to have to cut or modify the wire harness that may not work out.
Welcome to the CLA Forum SiClass :)
Can you give us his name and contact information here >

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Good grief ... hid to halogen ... quite the ass backwards move
But how on earth did they get it to work?
Maybe ebay will have some hid units and you can plug them back in ... presuming they did not modify or damage harnessing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good grief ... hid to halogen ... quite the ass backwards move
But how on earth did they get it to work?
Maybe ebay will have some hid units and you can plug them back in ... presuming they did not modify or damage harnessing
It hasn’t been done yet but that was what they were proposing. After I explained they would have to cut the wiring harness and it wasn’t a simple swap he is having a guy that does lights and custom set ups come look at it Monday. We had a much more civil conversation today and if he isn’t able to repair and it ends up costing too much he is going to let me choose a different car off his lot. Sadly this was the only CLA he had but he does have a QX30 also that I might end up going with.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Or ... share the cost of a replacement lamp housing via ebay
Many who changed to the led units are selling the hid ones
Not sure you want the qx30?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or ... share the cost of a replacement lamp housing via ebay
Many who changed to the led units are selling the hid ones
Not sure you want the qx30?
Yeah that’s another option I my explore tomorrow. I actually like the QX30’s it was just about 3,000 more that’s why I went with the CLA but from what I understand they are basically GLA’s with Infiniti badging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I replaced my driver side Bi-Xenon about a year ago with a replacement from Rockauto. If I recall it was about $60 and it was a direct replacement. There is an access hole inside the fender, turn the wheel to get clearance.

😀

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Wish it were just the bulb
Seems the housing has cracks/leaks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced my driver side Bi-Xenon about a year ago with a replacement from Rockauto. If I recall it was about $60 and it was a direct replacement. There is an access hole inside the fender, turn the wheel to get clearance.

😀
They already tried replacing the bulb and that didn't solve the problem. I'm thinking it might be the balast. I'm taking it to electronic/wiring guy someone recommend to see if he can figure it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts