Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yup same with mine. I thought it was glass and I never waxed it. Turned out it was plastic. UV rays and strong wiper fluid ate through the clear coat.

Cheaper way is to sand it and apply clear coat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup same with mine. I thought it was glass and I never waxed it. Turned out it was plastic. UV rays and strong wiper fluid ate through the clear coat.

Cheaper way is to sand it and apply clear coat.

Is that what you done to your car? If so how did it turn out?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
i was going to attempt to wrap it on my own. Anyone have instructions to remove the piece?

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
Remove?
Oh wow I recall reading something about piano wire lots of adjacent protection and lots of patience
Some serious glue is underneath ...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
well maybe a credit card and lots of patience I can get the wrap to adhere without removal. I have a nice big sheet of piano black wrap I've been dying to use! with all this stay at home mess I suppose I can take a stab at it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I imagine that lots of exposure to sunlight and warm weather is the main cause of the deteriotation of the black plastic. I live in Vancouver where sunshine is a premium, more cloudy days than usual. Mine is still looking fine.

I wax mine quite often as well, which probably helps with protection against UV.

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
59 Posts
I agree that wrapping it would be the best approach. It would look far better than "plasti-dip" probably. If it doesn't look good, peel it back off and try something else...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
unfortunately I work for an essential business and will not get any time off during this crisis! but I will attempt the wrap over a weekend when I don't have too much going on. but plastidip would be more flap then gloss and I would like to keep the gloss look! food for thought gents!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Piano black wrap should keep the glossy look
yea I had ordered some a while back on amazon and have had it sitting in the garage. its not 3m though and ive heard horror stories of once removed damaging the paint so I was always hesitant about applying. I had planned on wrapping the rear portion but I can test it on the front first and see how it looks. Plastidip comes out flat black iirc? even with the gloss plasti it still doesn't achieve the look of a mirror finish.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
I know nothing about the dip stuff ... except for the party kind
Hope that piano black comes out nice!
I might do that for the B pillar trim if you like your results

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I know nothing about the dip stuff ... except for the party kind
Hope that piano black comes out nice!
I might do that for the B pillar trim if you like your results
I've dabbled with plastidip on the Audi. I went from stock silver to pearl and got bored one day so I tried gold but hated it so I went back to pearl. If it's done properly it looks great and holds up to the elements very well!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts