Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Blind Spot Assist

7K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  DavidR 
a more accurate description of DISTRONIC PLUS with PRE-SAFE Brake, from a poster over at mbworld.org:

"It will brake fully only .6 seconds before an accident if you DO NOT react to the beeps. The point being that if you want the car to stop and not have an accident, you need to brake as soon as you hear the beeps as it is an indication of an impending accident. My understanding is that MB wanted the driver to have the ability to use speed and steering to avoid the accident if the driver chooses to so that OR apply brakes and the car will modulate the correct amount of braking power.

If you wait until .6 before an accident when the car brakes fully, you are pretty much using pre safe braking as an electronic crumple zone, as you WILL hit the car if it stops very quickly and 40% is not enough

What I find really nice about the system is that if you slam on the brakes when you hear the beeps, the car controls the braking power and might not brake as hard as you apply the brakes but will will apply enough braking power to avoid an accident. This is done to give the idiot following you too closely behind you more time to react. I thought that was particularly smart and thoughtful for your safety and the safety of the person behind you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.