Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Blind Spot Assist

7K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  DavidR 
For all these type of driver aid features like PARKTRONIC, DISTRONIC and Blind Spot Assist, I believe you need to consider your own driving history and your own unique needs. If you frequently struggle with parallel parking, then get PARKTRONIC. If you frequently find yourself slamming on the brake to avoid hitting the car in front of you, then get DISTRONIC. If you struggle with checking your blind spot when changing lanes, then get Blind Spot Assist. If you're doing a custom build order for your CLA250 or CLA45 then you'll be able to fine tune your order to fit your exact driving characteristics. If you're buying off the lot, then you'll have to settle for the best possible mix of features and functions that are available.

Not all systems are created equally; however, I've found the MB assistance systems to be the best engineered and produced vs any other car manufacturer out there. Sometimes it's the simple things the car can do itself that make your day.
For whatever it's worth, I recently saw a British TV Auto show that was testing the various accident avoidance systems from several manufacturers. In their test, the MB DISTRONIC system was by far the worst. If I remember correctly, they used an E class. Systems from Volvo and BMW fared much better. They setup cardboard barriers and then intentionally drove the car into the cardboard wall without manually hitting the brake pedal. Every time, the MB system slowed the car substantially but failed to stop in time to prevent blasting though the cardboard. They tested with both stationary walls and slow moving walls (to simulate a slow moving car).

Bottom line: driving assistance = yes, absolute failsafe system = no way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.