Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Blind Spot Assist

7K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  DavidR 
#1 ·
Does Blind Spot Assist require those little round sensors placed in the bumpers (front or rear)?

Just wondering. Because those little round sensors are a deal breaker for me. I much prefer the nice clean look of an unobstructed bumper without those ugly doo dads.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I just learned on the USA configurator that the little round circles only show up in the picture when Parktronic is selected. They do not show if Blind Spot Assist or Driver Assistance Package is selected. That's good news for me.

Having said that, is Blind Spot Assist a good feature to have? Is it gimicky or does it really save your butt from bumping into the car next to you? I do a lot of highway driving so it might be a good feature for me to have.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
For all these type of driver aid features like PARKTRONIC, DISTRONIC and Blind Spot Assist, I believe you need to consider your own driving history and your own unique needs. If you frequently struggle with parallel parking, then get PARKTRONIC. If you frequently find yourself slamming on the brake to avoid hitting the car in front of you, then get DISTRONIC. If you struggle with checking your blind spot when changing lanes, then get Blind Spot Assist. If you're doing a custom build order for your CLA250 or CLA45 then you'll be able to fine tune your order to fit your exact driving characteristics. If you're buying off the lot, then you'll have to settle for the best possible mix of features and functions that are available.
Sure, that's a given. I know my own needs. I don't "struggle" with everyday driving. But you and I know that some features are gimmicky and some are worth their weight in salt. I'm not going to purchase Blind Assist if it has a history of not being trustworthy and is a POS feature. Plus, Blind Assist may be better suited to cars with thick C-pillars where they actually do have a blind spot that is greater than other cars. All signs point towards the CLA having a wicked blind spot. It's C-pillars appear thick and its rear seats seem to hog up a lot of the rear view window.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.