Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been doing a lot of searching and can't seem to dig up how to change the brake pads. I'm looking for a basic tutorial on how to do this. I've got a lot of tools so going to attempt to tackle this myself for the first time. I just hit 25k miles and my brakes are starting to squeek under light braking. It's starting to get worse.

A couple questions for you experts:

• Can somebody guide me to a DIY or post some steps on how to change the brake pads? Along with that tools are needed.
  • Can somebody reccomend a good sets of replacement pads with minimal brake dust?
  • On a scale of 0-10 how difficult/time consuming is this?

Any help would be really appreciated, like I said the search returns a bunch of stuff on shooting brakes and painting calipers but I could really use some guidance, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
All the brake a similar, so you can look on any How to Change Brake on YouTube.

)

If you do a bit of mecanics, if is pretty easy.

I don't think Lomandi have brake pad for CLA, but i use that on my smart and i have almost no dust !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate that --- I believe our calipers are held in by pins?

Is it really that generic... If you can change brake pads on another car you can do these? (I've never done them before just asking)

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Appreciate that --- I believe our calipers are held in by pins?

Is it really that generic... If you can change brake pads on another car you can do these? (I've never done them before just asking)
Yes, pretty much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks David. The calipers on our cars look so big and intimidating but I'm going to give it a shot.

Wondering if I should pop open the calipers and inspect the pads before I get new ones?

Kind of another dumb question, but is a worn brake pad obvious? Any tricks to isolate down the squeeking one? Put your head of the window and listen lol?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Buy the pads. If you take the time to set up the car and take off the wheels you have the pads if you need them. If you don't have them and you need them, your doing double the work.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Inspect all of them. Pads should be replaced in sets (fronts or rears).

I'm new to the performance car arena, but pads on my other cars used to last at least 50k miles.

If it's still under warranty, I would probably just take it to the dealer for them to inspect the squeak.

Thanks David. The calipers on our cars look so big and intimidating but I'm going to give it a shot.

Wondering if I should pop open the calipers and inspect the pads before I get new ones?

Kind of another dumb question, but is a worn brake pad obvious? Any tricks to isolate down the squeeking one? Put your head of the window and listen lol?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
If you so it on you're own don't forget you will probably need a clamp to push the piston back into position for the calipers to seat correctly. If it's anything like my audi Mercedes will call for a special tool to compress the spring but a clamp will do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
If you so it on you're own don't forget you will probably need a clamp to push the piston back into position for the calipers to seat correctly. If it's anything like my audi Mercedes will call for a special tool to compress the spring but a clamp will do the trick.

Or use the biggest plier you have :p

·
Registered
645 Posts
You need to be careful. On German cars the caliper needs to rotate while going back in. A clamp might damage the caliper. They sell a caliper compression kit that is fairly inexpensive. (About 30-50).

·
Registered
681 Posts
Have they FINALLY come up with a decent pad that produces (somewhat) less dust? I went with ceramic pads on a Bimmer I used to have; they worked well, but was unable to find any to fit the CLA45 before I decided to sell the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, been doing a lot of searching and can't seem to dig up how to change the brake pads. I'm looking for a basic tutorial on how to do this. I've got a lot of tools so going to attempt to tackle this myself for the first time. I just hit 25k miles and my brakes are starting to squeek under light braking. It's starting to get worse.

A couple questions for you experts:

• Can somebody guide me to a DIY or post some steps on how to change the brake pads? Along with that tools are needed.
  • Can somebody reccomend a good sets of replacement pads with minimal brake dust?
  • On a scale of 0-10 how difficult/time consuming is this?
Any help would be really appreciated, like I said the search returns a bunch of stuff on shooting brakes and painting calipers but I could really use some guidance, thanks!
You will need a 13mm to take the caliper off, a 17mm to hold the inner guide bolt from moving. A T35 Torx bit to take the rotor lock screw out to remove the rotor. Also, change the electric brake wear sensor on front pad. A T35 Torx bit is extremely difficult to find. Also, you will need a E18 torx socket to remove the guide bracket off.

WARNING- you must go into the computer( you can access yourself by vehicle in on position . Hold call button and ok button for 5 seconds, scroll to pad replacement and hit ok. This rewinds the electronic e- brake so you can safely compress the wheel cylinder for REAR pad replacement. This is for rear pad replacement only. Failure to do this will destroy the unit. If you have never done a brake job I do NOT suggest this on your own. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
this makes me want to start a youtube channel with my cla 45 amg that I got. Now waiting to get her back from AMS :D w.4 weistec turbo on it with meth and HPFP. Looking at close to 600+ hp we'll see.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Oh geee would hate to hear that dreadful klink klank klonk bang during the dyno run

·
Registered
10 Posts
You will need a 13mm to take the caliper off, a 17mm to hold the inner guide bolt from moving. A T35 Torx bit to take the rotor lock screw out to remove the rotor. Also, change the electric brake wear sensor on front pad. A T35 Torx bit is extremely difficult to find. Also, you will need a E18 torx socket to remove the guide bracket off.

WARNING- you must go into the computer( you can access yourself by vehicle in on position . Hold call button and ok button for 5 seconds, scroll to pad replacement and hit ok. This rewinds the electronic e- brake so you can safely compress the wheel cylinder for REAR pad replacement. This is for rear pad replacement only. Failure to do this will destroy the unit. If you have never done a brake job I do NOT suggest this on your own. Best of luck to you.
Hello, Rick1a1, thanks for good advices.
I have seen few videos of that change and I wonder why the handbrake is not released manually?
I mean because the caliper is quite tight when the piston presses it against the plate...
or does it not need to be loosened?
Thank you for your answer in advance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts