Mercedes CLA Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hey guys, been doing a lot of searching and can't seem to dig up how to change the brake pads...
You received a lot of interest and great replies above, so how did your brake change go?

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
Hello, Rick1a1, thanks for good advices.
I have seen few videos of that change and I wonder why the handbrake is not released manually?
I mean because the caliper is quite tight when the piston presses it against the plate...
or does it not need to be loosened?
Thank you for your answer in advance.
Release the rear brakes using the cluster menu

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
@CLAFinn
no stupid questions here ... maybe lazy ones
suggest following the caliper release process to the letter first
then try the doors and key thing just to see whats happens
my guess the door should not be an issue
the key thing may mess stuff up? not sure ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
@CLAFinn
no stupid questions here ... maybe lazy ones
suggest following the caliper release process to the letter first
then try the doors and key thing just to see whats happens
my guess the door should not be an issue
the key thing may mess stuff up? not sure ...
Ok, that's easiest way to check.

Normally when I stop car and open door handbrake goes on...therefore I ask
and I also think key should be on the position 1 (NOT on the second one which is for starting maybe there was an error on the instructions)
But soon we'll see how it goes.(have to wait for cooler weather, this is crazy🥵)

I just change discs and pads in front and it was very easy. You need Torx E18 + E10 and T30 + locking fluid and of course 13 + 17 mm wrench(also remember take away part of brake fluid). Brembo parts are complet with new bolts and warning sensor.

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
Oh this heat is nothing ... even in my cooler part of our land mass it was >100F for a while ... just part of mommy nature’s cycles especially when she’s pissed off

Anyway the ebrake can be released after opening the door before you engage the cluster menu, which kinda makes sense else the fluid pressure remains high and I recall someone having an issue with that

Key1 or Key2 is fine ... just dont go past key2 which of course starts the engine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh this heat is nothing ... even in my cooler part of our land mass it was >100F for a while ... just part of mommy nature’s cycles especially when she’s pissed off

Anyway the ebrake can be released after opening the door before you engage the cluster menu, which kinda makes sense else the fluid pressure remains high and I recall someone having an issue with that

Key1 or Key2 is fine ... just dont go past key2 which of course starts the engine
I disagree a little because we must talk about death point.Please check:
Wet Bulb Calculator

Theoretically, humans cannot survive when the wet-bulb temperature exceeds 35 °C (95 °F).
I mean our 34 Celsius = 93 Fahrenheit with 70 % relative humidity is quite a lot. For example yesterday in Portland/USA was 29 Celsius = 84 F but only 35 % relative humidity.

We think differently, so once again:
I must go to car and close door.
I release handbrake.
Then I tell to car I will change discs + pads.
Then I go out and close door.
I do maintenance/change parts.
Then I open door and go to car.
Then I need to press the pedal to get the loose off.
Then I can finalize the job with OK.

So,
the door needs to be opened and closed many times but does it interfere system?
A little worry but important:unsure:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts