Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Distronic more often lately, and notice an occasional hard stop in traffic with a crunch noise seemingly from the left front. Anyone else?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've been using Distronic more often lately, and notice an occasional hard stop in traffic with a crunch noise seemingly from the left front. Anyone else?
Distronic sucks with hard stops in traffic. It’s like nobody programmed it to slow to a stop. I always feel like one day someone is going to rear end me due to the constant hard stops.

It does feel like the ABS engages sometimes during these hard stops. Is that what you’re feeling?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
traxem, my stops aren't especially hard, just occasionally noisy. In fact, the noise seems to occur more often when creeping in traffic and coming to a stop.

jmc, it has happened more than once, though it doesn't happen every time.

·
Registered
314 Posts
traxem, my stops aren't especially hard, just occasionally noisy. In fact, the noise seems to occur more often when creeping in traffic and coming to a stop.

jmc, it has happened more than once, though it doesn't happen every time.
Maybe if you can film it? I’ve always heard a crunch when creeping since the car was new.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I thought maybe you can hear from inside while driving/stopping.

Yes, I can hear it.

Filming suggests (to me, at least) that the video aspect is the more important. You presumably are interested in an audio recording, and I'll see if I can accomplish that.

Literalists would stipulate (a position to which I incidentally do not subscribe) that one cannot film if there is no film involved.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, I can hear it.

Filming suggests (to me, at least) that the video aspect is the more important. You presumably are interested in an audio recording, and I'll see if I can accomplish that.

Literalists would stipulate (a position to which I incidentally do not subscribe) that one cannot film if there is no film involved.
Touché. I meant record it.

·
Registered
9,820 Posts
Yes, I can hear it.

Oh OK ... digital film then
And don’t forget about “taping” it without that trusty cassette recorder

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I said, I do not subscribe to this level of fussiness; I was merely pointing it out.

We said we'd dial a number decades after dials were defunct.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sometimes some road debris gets stuck between the brakepad and the rotor. That will produce a mild crunching sound. The rotor may show some mild scoring. E.g.: a small pebble or some mud can get in there.
Mud can be washed off. For a pebble you may have to take off the pad and clean it.

If your pads are totally worn and you are wearing the metal backing pad, that would produce a severe crunching sound every time you brake so that is probably not it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts