Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Let me preface this by saying I'm not an AMG 45 owner..yet. I'm in the market for another spirited sports car, but now having 2 children I need a sedan, so my usual American muscle car preference no longer fits the bill. As such I stumbled upon the AMG 45, I have never really owned German before so this will be a new experience for me. The 45 seems to tick all the check marks, reasonably quick, sedan, awd, nice interior, etc.. I have found a few used AMG 45s with 20-30k miles and all of them are either 14', or 15' MY. Im pretty mechanically inclined and like to do most of regular maintenace/service myself, so the only thing I'm hesitant about is the reliability of these cars. This is where I'm hoping some of you that have put the miles on your cars can chime in. I have scoured this forum looking for all the ins and outs/problems. these cars have/had. It seems like the turbo recall and funky transmission behavior are the two biggest complaints. I'm kinda leaning towards the 15' model year in hopes that the turbo issue was fixed, but I can get a better deal on the 14' MY. If anyone has any insights on what to look for or known problems with these cars, that I could look for please let me know! I'm hoping to be a proud owner here within the next few weeks!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
If you did get a 2014-2015 just ask if the previous owner had the turbo replaced if they were affected. Besides a transmission update, turbo replace and fix an oil leak (the dealer's fault) after they replaced my turbo... all under first year maintenance, the car has been problem free. The battery and brakes lasted me about 5 years -- replaced them just this year. Besides yearly oil change and brake flush every other year. Get used to the higher maintenance cost unless you get an independent service shop or DIY.

I personally haven't modded mine much but I've not heard of any issues from anyone here who has. If you plan on getting a tune then I'd say you're fine getting a 2014-2015 because you'll have more power there anyways. If you plan to stay stock, would suggest you look at 2016 or later FL + up tuned engine.

Good time to keep an eye on the market with version 2 coming in later this year. You may even snag a few of the final copies for relatively cheap... The new CLA45 (non-S) will have pretty much same power as the first generation post facelift... and IMO the older gen has better looks with the flics etc. I doubt the new ones will have all the fun aero bits unless you go with the 45S going forward.

Final note, don't buy one if it doesn't have the upgraded exhaust -- unless you plan on upgrading yourself. I test drove a 2016 E63s last week and ended up not getting it because I preferred my CLA45 with exhaust.

Being a dad of 2 kids myself, the 4 door fits my needs and I'm sure yours as well. Happy belated Father's day. Post pics when you get your new ride and welcome abroad! :pepper1:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts