Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Almost 5 years ago, I took delivery of my Red CLA 250. I traded him in last week for our long awaited Telsa Model 3 (Named ThunderCat) with premium package and long range battery.

The Tesla is fast, smooth, quiet and very high tech. We are still in the process of deciding how we will handle charging long term. Currently we are charging in our garage with an exiting 110 outlet, but it is very slow (about 5 miles of range per hour) along with very low cost charging ($25 for a 6 month term) through the city of Austin with charging stations where my husband works (these stations give the Tesla Model 3 about 23 miles of range per hour) and other stations all over Austin. I like this option, since it would require that once every week or so, I trade cars with my husband (and get to drive top down in his Miata)

My husband thinks that we should hire an electrician and put a 220 outlet in our garage. We will see who wins this one!

Bye , Drive Safe, and Good Luck to all with your CLAs!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Mid-size car

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Congratulations on the new Tesla. Enjoy every minute, and your husband's Miata as well. It's been great having you here.

Reactions: TUXEDO CAT

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

I need to get used to not turning off my car. The Telsa is unlocked using an app on your phone (it unlocks when you get close to the car with your phone) and when you get where you are going, you put it in park and open the door. The car shuts off and locks when you walk about 10 feet away. It just seems weird! There is a backup card (about the size of a credit card) that you can use if your phone is out of juice. I have used this to open and close the car, but I haven't yet made sure that my cards works when I drive (without my phone app)

I feel like I am still learning about the features. It is like going from a flip phone to a smart phone.

I have a free 14 day trial of auto steer and enhanced auto pilot that started today, but I haven't yet tried it out. I might make my husband try!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Good luck

Wishing you the best of luck with your new ride. It is virtually guaranteed to be less problematic than you CLA . Happy charging!

Reactions: TUXEDO CAT

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
and be careful with that "accelerator" ... dont think insurance covers self induced whiplash ... :cool: :cool:

LOVE THE COLOR!!!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
OK Tuxedo,:) It is about time for you to tell us about your adventures in ReCharging.
Did you get the home unit, or are you comfortable with on the road stops?
What should we know about (y) Thunder Cat?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK Tuxedo,:) It is about time for you to tell us about your adventures in ReCharging.
Did you get the home unit, or are you comfortable with on the road stops?
What should we know about (y) Thunder Cat?
We ended up having an electrician rewire our garage and installed a home tesla charger. It looks like this - https://simplytruefan.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/tesla-silver-wall-connector-04.jpg I am getting about 48 miles of range per hour of charge. As an added benefit, I don't have to worry about washing my hands after touching a public pump (for gas, if I still had my CLA) or a public charging station during the Covid 19 Pandemic.

On road trips, we have also used the network of Tesla Super Chargers - that is a really fast way to charge! Looking forward to traveling again.

Hope that you all stay safe and healthy!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
.............. I traded him in last week for our long awaited Telsa Model 3 (Named ThunderCat) with premium package and long range battery.....
View attachment 61548
HI Tuxedo and second car Tesla Members,
Your CLA friends send warm Austin smiles at you😻
Though of you and your blue TESLA,
when we saw this >

If it doesn't transmit, it explains how to charge the extra under-hood battery for your ThunderCat...

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Oh yes! Just saw that vid yesterday too!
All that finagling just to get to the 12v battery good golly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts