Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
The CLA will hit 60 mph (C&D and MT estimation) about a half-second quicker than the C250 and handles substantially better. I think the C250's history will be a short one. The average price at my dealership is around $43k, the same as the C300 4matic.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The CLA will hit 60 mph (C&D and MT estimation) about a half-second quicker than the C250 and handles substantially better. I think the C250's history will be a short one. The average price at my dealership is around $43k, the same as the C300 4matic.
The C Class is Mercedes bread and butter. There is No way they are going to get rid of their bread and butter. The CLA is going to add new buyers to Mercedes but it is only a entry model. Lastly, they are introducing 4 new models of the C class.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
The next gen C-Class is being released next year. As is the trend with all cars, it will be larger than the current version and, as ppiano suggested, it isn't going anywhere. Mercedes needs a 3 series fighter and the CLA isn't it. The CLA is a FWD based 4 seater with impractical backseat headroom for adults. Its competitors are the A3 and 1 series. The CLA is based on a smaller platform than the current gen C-Class with a body that is roughly the same size as the C. The C-Class is a RWD based 5 seater with adequate room in the back for adults. From what I've read, some of the materials used in the CLA are also not up to the same standards as those in the C-Class. It is a step above the CLA in the same way that the E is a step above the C. I love the CLA's styling and the 45's performance numbers are exciting but the CLA isn't competing in the 3/C/A4 segment and I don't think Mercedes has any intentions otherwise.

-Eric

·
Registered
381 Posts
Eventually these manufactures will have to phase out certain product lines. Otherwise they'll end up being the size of the Hindenburg, because with every redesign they make them bigger than the previous design. Take the BMW 3-series for example. It's currently the size of what a 5-series was 10 years ago. It's also the reason BMW will push heavily the upcoming 2-series. The 2 series is eventually meant to someday take the place of the 3-series in size and popularity.

Who knows. I can see Mercedes phasing out the C-class eventually if the next several gen redesigns if the CLA end up being larger than what it is now. I'm talking in the distant future.

·
Registered
288 Posts
dont let the price fool you...they can be had for a song. MB is looking to unload as many of them as possible before the 2015 model hits.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Eventually these manufactures will have to phase out certain product lines. Otherwise they'll end up being the size of the Hindenburg, because with every redesign they make them bigger than the previous design. Take the BMW 3-series for example. It's currently the size of what a 5-series was 10 years ago. It's also the reason BMW will push heavily the upcoming 2-series. The 2 series is eventually meant to someday take the place of the 3-series in size and popularity.

Who knows. I can see Mercedes phasing out the C-class eventually if the next several gen redesigns if the CLA end up being larger than what it is now. I'm talking in the distant future.
I'm not sure what information you have today that would lead you to believe Mercedes might (eventually) phase out its bread and butter model for a less practical one that has yet to prove itself.

I'm not worried about the S-Class/7-Series/A8 segment cars or their smaller siblings becoming the size of the Hindenburg. I do agree though that increasing the size of each generation of a model gets silly and I do believe that manufacturers will eventually reach limits with certain models (or phase them out as they become obsolete to buyers). But, the only thing that's going to thin the current trend of model diversification we're seeing is poor sales (whether due to financial crisis, changes in auto trends -- design preferences, environmental concerns, etc.) or some other weakening of the business that forces the companies to consolidate and limit offerings. Right now, surprisingly, nothing suggests that any of the current model ranges are stepping on one another's respective toes. Certainly, the current C250, E350, S350 are differentiated enough by their size. It's only the "four door coupes" that potentially upset sales in those existing sedan segments. Whether the "four door coupe" design is here for the long term remains to be seen. For that matter, who knows what will happen to the traditional sedan in the future? For now, there appear to be enough interested buyers to satisfy the need for separate "sedan" and "four door coupe" lines of vehicles.

When the AMC Eagle was (failing) on the market back in the '80s, who would have predicted that 10 yrs later a bunch of companies would turn the concept into a success (e.g., Volvo XC70, Audi Allroad, Subaru Outback anyone)? Have you ever seen what designs from GM and other manufacturers from the '50s and '60s suggested cars might look like around the turn of the century? Boy did they get that wrong. Unless you are prescient (in which case I have a question for you about a lottery ticket), what happens in the distant automotive future is a complete unknown -- especially with respect to phasing out of currently successful models.

-Eric

·
Registered
381 Posts
First off Eric, it's not any INFORMATION I HAVE. It's called my OPINION. That's what free thinkers do on an open forum. It's a common past time among us auto enthusiasts, aka: us car folks.

Secondly, I clearly wrote "next several gen redesigns" and explicitly said "in the distant future". That means I'm not talking about next year or even the year after. Considering each gen could be 7 years and I said several of them, that math works to 14 or 21 years from now. Do you know exactly what Mercedes will be doing at that time? I don't. Do you know if the C-class will remain Mercedes' bread and butter model? I don't. Do you know what the CLA will be at that time? I don't. However I do know the cyclic history of some German model redesigns, particularly BMW and Audi, and that's what I was basing my opinion on. I even stated an example with BMW. That's all I meant. That's It. And just so you know, when somebody writes "who knows" that means it's all up in the air and not meant to be taken as hard fact.

There's no need to copy my words and address me in a subtle snotty tone. I can be just as snotty, if need be. And just so you know, the Hindenburg was 804 feet long. It was a figure of speech when I wrote those words. But it sounds like some folks might take every word of mine literally.

So give me a break. I've been on the internet way too long and on way too many auto forums to detect "the attitude" right off the start. So if there's any additional information I have, it's probably that I have much experience in silly auto forums where others look for arguing just for arguing sake, and others feel a distinct need to knock others down in order to make themselves feel better about themselves. That's the extra information or experience I have. And perhaps you don't. Have a rainbow day, my good friend Eric.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Dude, kindly remove the pole from your butt and calm down.

Everyone has an opinion. You're entitled to yours. I form my opinions based on information. You can base yours on whatever you want. I addressed/answered every one of your questions and comments in my earlier post. I'm sorry if that was upsetting to you. No harm was intended.

Yours truly,
Capt. Max Pruss

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, back to what I was original asking... I was at the MB dealer yesterday and she believed it was the only thing comparable (engine wise) to the CLA. The c250 was a dream to drive, so will it be comparable in that aspect, somwhat?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, back to what I was original asking... I was at the MB dealer yesterday and she believed it was the only thing comparable (engine wise) to the CLA. The c250 was a dream to drive, so will it be comparable in that aspect, somwhat?
Just wait to drive it to form your own opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I cant speak for a 250 but I've driven a C350 sport package and its a very nice car. The exterior styling is much more understated than the CLA though. With the V6 it has excellent power.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The C Class, which to me has a somewhat harsh ride compared to a 1970s French sedan, will ride a lot better than the CLA. I have driven two B 250s and they are quite harsh even on non-sport run-flat tires. I gather that all CLAs will come with the harsher-still sport package.

The engine in the CLA 250 is noisy compared to the 6 in the C Class and when you rev it, there is no illusion about its being anything other than a 2L four cylinder. For me that is OK because I like that sound, but those seeking a luxury ride with a silent engine had best not look towards the CLA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The C250 and CLA 250 engines are completely different. I except The CLA 250 to match the performance of the C300 as it has roughly the same HP and a good amount more Torque when you consider the unadvertised "overboost" effect of the CLA.

Heres a video of the CLA...the C250 does not sound nor rev as quick as this engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
On a side note, we really as spoiled by amazing engines and fast cars in America.

Whenever I visit europe, people always tell me how awesome their 150 HP cars are and that they are very fast....meanwhile Im thinking its pretty damn hard to find a car with less than 180 HP these days in America. In Europe most cars average around 90 HP and people are happy about it.

Also gas is about $9 a gallon there...lol

If someone has a 200 HP Car in Europe, they are VERY well off financially.

The CLA 250 there is something around 50K euros last time I saw some numbers...thats ridiculous.

Just because Mercedes needs to move models in America we get the car for half off. Crazy right?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I never liked the C250. My best friend had one and I got a chance to drive it a couple times, it's not appealing at all. I believe that the CLA will do much better in sales than all the C Class models. The C Class just has a dull appeal to it and will not really turn heads like the CLA will.

Once the CLA debuts in dealerships my point will be proven.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I never liked the C250. My best friend had one and I got a chance to drive it a couple times, it's not appealing at all. I believe that the CLA will do much better in sales than all the C Class models. The C Class just has a dull appeal to it and will not really turn heads like the CLA will.

Once the CLA debuts in dealerships my point will be proven.
What did you not like about the C250?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's best just to go drive it and see for yourself, because no one can tell you what you like best...... We just purchased a 2015 CLA250. We would not have bought it if we did not really love it. We are very picky about what we drive. Today I dropped our car off to the service department for an add on we ordered. To my surprise they gave me a 2015 C250 as a loaner with only 16 miles on it. Wow! Anyway, long story short........ We love our car and just liked the C250. Our car not only drives better with the comfort suspension, it gets better gas mileage and feels much sportier and in my opinion, looks much nicer, and the price tag was much sweeter for what we desired in a car....Yes, they don't have much back seat headroom but that is no concern of ours...We are empty nesters and we usually don't haul grown adults around anyway..... Love the CLA 250! 38 miles per gallon highway.....amazing Mercedes-Benz starting at $29,500. Good luck in your car search! Can be lots of fun!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts