Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched this forum and didn't find the answer. I apologize in advance if this has been answered.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I searched this forum and didn't find the answer. I apologize in advance if this has been answered.
Excellent question ! I haven't seen it address on the forum either. How about the regular CLA250 ? Unlike BMW, Mercedes has not wholesale endorsed run flats.
It would be interesting to see if they do it with the CLAs.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping its not the case. Although I have no personal experience with them, the BMW forums consensus that I've seen is that they are noisy and heavy.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey outsider in the picture/video forum I posted a link for you in response to your question regarding the detailing of the 16 spoke wheels. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
339 Posts
All the B 250s in Canada have run-flats and many hate them (vibration, noise, harshness). Some have even bought new regular tires to replace the new run-flats. So I suspect the CLA 250 will for sure. With the 45, it's less likely due to the speed rating required (W?).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Anybody have any details on the European A45? That should give us a solid clue as to what we should expect on the CLA45.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gley are you confirming the 19's are not runflats but the 18's are? Do you have a link to this info?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If the 45 comes with 19 inch multispoke - regular tires with rep.kit
With 18 inch - runflat
OH No ! They are doing what BMW is doing with the M3. 19" rims with NON-runflats and NO spare. Just a can of stop leak they call repair kit. It's ridiculous !
That's the reason I never go far with the M3 because if I get a flat, I am dead in the water. They built the E9X BMW with no spare wheel well. All the 3 series get runflats on their 17 & 18" rims
while the 19" gets nothing. MB is doing the same with the CLA - to save weight to the public but to save money in reality as the spare costs a few hundred bucks to include !!! NO...

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I gotta be honest outsider, I'd rather have to use a can of stop leak for the odd chance of getting a flat as opposed to driving around on noisy, heavy, and harsh riding tires. Once again I have no personal experience with them, just going off of what I've read on the forums.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Per spec sheet I got 646 : 18" 5-Spoke Light Alloy Wheels. I thought the Edition 1 was getting the black 18" AMG style multi spoke. Either way they are 18s.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I gotta be honest outsider, I'd rather have to use a can of stop leak for the odd chance of getting a flat as opposed to driving around on noisy, heavy, and harsh riding tires. Once again I have no personal experience with them, just going off of what I've read on the forums.
The run flats are much better now than years past. The problem with the 19's not having the run flats is because the sidewall is too low for enough stiffness to support the weight of the car without air.
The can is no good if you are almost completely out of air. It is only useful when you act immediately after your tire pressure warning comes on. If you air loss is fast due to a larger nail at an angle, you are done. Flat bed tow time.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
The fix-a-flat can is both a tire and rim killer. It destroys a tire that might be reparable with a plug and it also kills the rim inside if it sits too long. It also does absolutely nothing if you've had a blow-out.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 30 Posts