Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"For the CLA250, those numbers are boosted to 253 HP (186 kW) and 420 Nm (309 lb-ft) of torque - an increase of 42 HP 51 lb-ft."

"while the top level CLA45 AMG nets a new output of 450 horsepower, up from its standard 360-horsepower output."

Carlsson Autotechnik - Mercedes Tuning auf Gut Wiesenhof - Aerodynamik, Tagfahrlicht , Leistungssteigerung, Räder, Felgen

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class By Carlsson - Top Speed

http://www.autoevolution.com/mercedes-blog/450-hp-for-the-cla-45-amg-courtesy-of-carlsson-66810.html

·
Registered
381 Posts
There's no way they are getting an extra 90 horsepower out of the cla 45AMG that engine without additional modifications

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app
If they turn the boost up to 40 psi it will just explode.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow that is totally bad ass.

My 335i has been chipped for a Long time. Makes such a good difference.

I have emailed carlsson for more info

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
There's no way they are getting an extra 90 horsepower out of the cla 45AMG that engine without additional modifications
If they turn the boost up to 40 psi it will just explode.
According to the "Auto Evolution" link they say, "From what we can tell from the official press release, Carlsson simply installed a version of the Carlsson C-Tronic CB Plug & Drive module instead of the original ECU, making the all-wheel drive AMG version of the baby-CLS to develop no less than 450 hp."

Look, back in the '80s, BMW was famous for building some 4 cylinder engines that made ridiculous amounts of power for their Formula 1 cars. They had 1.5l engines that were putting out anywhere between 1,000 and 1,400hp (depending upon how much boost was dialed in).

I don't doubt that a tuner can find more horsepower from the engine. My primary concern, however, is about long (and, in this case, even short) term reliability. The turbo is already spun up to make 26lbs of boost. How much more pressure do they need to extract another 90hp from the stock internals? And, can they take it over 100K+ miles without serious modifications? Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.

A stock 335i isn't making 26psi of boost out of the factory. I'd venture a guess it's closer to 14-15psi. Someone with more knowledge can confirm or correct me.

-Eric

·
Registered
681 Posts
My 335i has the Dinan "tune" that claims to raise the hp & torque from 300 & 300 to 400 & 400. The consensus is that Mr. Dinan actually starts at 330/340 that BMW just doesn't claim. I have no idea what the original or modified boost levels are, but I'll bet serious money that they don't approach the 26# level that AMG is claiming. But the most important thing that Mr. Dinan does (from my point of view) is that he warrants his work and the engine for "4 & 50", just like BMW does. Will Mr. Carlsson do that?

·
Registered
178 Posts
My 335i has the Dinan "tune" that claims to raise the hp & torque from 300 & 300 to 400 & 400. The consensus is that Mr. Dinan actually starts at 330/340 that BMW just doesn't claim. I have no idea what the original or modified boost levels are, but I'll bet serious money that they don't approach the 26# level that AMG is claiming. But the most important thing that Mr. Dinan does (from my point of view) is that he warrants his work and the engine for "4 & 50", just like BMW does. Will Mr. Carlsson do that?
Interesting as Dinan states that the Stage 3 kit only give 373 horsepower & 408 lb-ft of torque

·
Registered
178 Posts
According to the "Auto Evolution" link they say, "From what we can tell from the official press release, Carlsson simply installed a version of the Carlsson C-Tronic CB Plug & Drive module instead of the original ECU, making the all-wheel drive AMG version of the baby-CLS to develop no less than 450 hp."

Look, back in the '80s, BMW was famous for building some 4 cylinder engines that made ridiculous amounts of power for their Formula 1 cars. They had 1.5l engines that were putting out anywhere between 1,000 and 1,400hp (depending upon how much boost was dialed in).

I don't doubt that a tuner can find more horsepower from the engine. My primary concern, however, is about long (and, in this case, even short) term reliability. The turbo is already spun up to make 26lbs of boost. How much more pressure do they need to extract another 90hp from the stock internals? And, can they take it over 100K+ miles without serious modifications? Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.

A stock 335i isn't making 26psi of boost out of the factory. I'd venture a guess it's closer to 14-15psi. Someone with more knowledge can confirm or correct me.

-Eric
Stock PSI on my 2013 BMW 135I is 11.8 PSI under normal conditions and 14.5 PSI when maxed out.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had the original (and only if I remember correctly) stage purchased in early '08. There was a BMW forced "re"flash that cleared the Dinan flash a few years ago. I contacted Dinan, and they said that the new Dinan Stage 2 was the equivalent of the original program, and they arranged for my local Dinan dealer to reflash BMW for the grand sum of $25. Did I get 400 & 400? Did I ever get it? Who knows? But I can go through tires, grins and gas at a prodigious rate.

However, the point I'm trying to make is that the Dinan tune voided the BMW warranty, and then superseded that with their own equivalent. Will Carlsson, or anyone else, do that?

·
Registered
63 Posts
.. is that the Dinan tune voided the BMW warranty, and then superseded that with their own equivalent. Will Carlsson, or anyone else, do that?
Carlsson Autotechnik - Mercedes Tuning auf Gut Wiesenhof - Aerodynamik, Tagfahrlicht , Leistungssteigerung, Räder, Felgen
They already do. Bottom of the page:
"In addition, Carlsson takes over the manufacturers warranty for up to two years or 100,000km on engine, transmission and drive train from the date of first registration."

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i like this concept .. its like a juicebox for BMW . . . juicebox are about $500 . .

im assuming anything from carlsson will be about $1000 +

even more if it takes over your warranty . . .

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
They already do. Bottom of the page:
"In addition, Carlsson takes over the manufacturers warranty for up to two years or 100,000km on engine, transmission and drive train from the date of first registration."
I would check with your local Carlsson distributor and not rely on what they do in one country vs. another.

For example, Carlsson US provides a different warranty on its products: The Carlsson 3 year warranty

But, to be honest, the wording on the website isn't that clear. I'd want to see something a little stronger (i.e., the actual warranty language) before forming a personal opinion on what they cover and don't cover.

-Eric

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd definitely read the fine print before making the decision to mod. MBWorld forum has an interesting thread called 'pulling back the curtain' outlining warranty and modding/tuning.

Out of interest, how many people here will take this or a similar avenue (Brabus /Renntech) at the expense of voiding MB manufacturers warranty?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i wont do it until i approach 30k miles . or until i see a tuned car hit 10k+miles on a tune

1 - 20 of 23 Posts