Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone remember the Mercedes Drive Kit Plus System (I believe a $500+ option) that integrated the iPhone 4 with the audio 20 system?

From then I’ve been intrigued with the prospects of smartphone and CLA integration.

At first I tried some early Android/WinCe variants that had some nice features (internet, video, backup cam) and I’m sure have improved remarkably since when I first installed around 15-16 but ultimately I went back to the native Audio 20 system albeit with an upgraded 8 monitor (I believe navitech).

Casually browsing the forums over the years, I like many others was intrigued with the possibility of adding Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto but ultimately didn’t think it was possible for Audio 20 NTG4.5 owners until now.

I guess the quarantine got my mod mind racing again and I took a chance on a module from eBay claiming to provide wireless Apple CarPlay and Android auto to NTG4.5 and 4.7 owners. I didn’t really find many users on the forums who tried (could be my lack of searching skills) but after watching a couple of vids on YouTube I decided to take the risk at around $275 with shipping fees.

It had been awhile since I took the dash components apart which thankfully, is still a breeze. The hardest part for me was wiring the new module.

As I’m sure many can attest the included instructions were feasible with wiring diagram and some photos but not comprehensive enough for someone making a first install attempt or hadn’t been at it for awhile like me.

Thankfully, this forum and the seller was kind enough to offer me prompt assistance. My main issues being I forgot which color coded cord from the audio20 system was lvds (Grey) which I found out thanks to this forum and the proper dip set or smart link settings for the device (which the seller helped me with).

The install took me 2 days after running into my problems and out of daylight.

The system is not exactly native as you have to hit the return button on either the steering wheel or console knob to enter the system, but it’s pretty damn close and offers both Apple CarPlay and Android auto plus a usb stick function which I will be sure to test soon. The module also allows the ability to add your backup camera and a front facing camera. I had signal issues with my backup cam (most likely a wiring issue with the camera as I hadn’t used it since uninstalling a previous android system many years ago but that’s a problem to tackle another day.

Pros:
  • Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto
  • Visually better looking interface
  • Maps via (Apple/Google/Waze
  • Easier access to iTunes library
  • Siri integration
  • Airplay/mirror play to screen via usb
  • Access to video and audio media files via USB
Cons:
  • Have to run dedicated audio cable to Aux for sound. Decent but not as good quality as native. I recommend purchasing a ground loop isolator to help improve audio and minimize engine noise feedback
  • Not seamless as you have to ‘enter’ the system to start CarPlay/Android Auto.
  • I opted to return to the 5.8 inch screen because although the image quality of my 8inch upgrade monitor was viewable with some stretched distortion it’s just not nearly as clear as the native monitor (I’m sure 7 inch native CLA’s will display fine)
  • Warranty? Tech support? I lucked out with good tech support from my eBay seller but I would go in with a buy ‘as is’ attitude.
If anyone has more questions or thoughts I’m glad to share or provide more insight!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Good for you!
Do post how the usb stick feature works ... like will a mp4 video work?
Can you post a link to the specific item/vendor?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I’ll test the usb feature as soon as I can. Here’s the vendor I brought from on ebay

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to film a quick vid. Have found that .mp4 files work and also are viewable while in motion. Haven't tried any other formats as of yet. Will update as I come across more but I believe JPEG,WMA,DVD-R/RW,DVD-RAM,MP3,MP4 should work as that's what listed on a similar eBay listing for the same product.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
very cool! on a 2014 yet :)
not sure of this will interfere with a canbus interceptor i already have ... cuz it is already inline with the master connector wiring

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wow hmm no clue. There is a canbus menu in the system settings for data collection but all it says is (start/restart) and the functions don’t do anything if I choose either

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Thank you for checking!
I will just have to bug both vendors to determine any conflicts ... cuz my (inline) unit already taps into the can_hi and can _lo wires

·
Registered
544 Posts
Oh no way, I just made a similar post. I have a Pre-Carplay NTG5 unit, so I had to use a similar device for getting CarPlay. I had mine in the box for a year, but I got around to installing a bit ago. One thing I noticed is that the unit you linked is much more compact - which makes a huge difference installing.

I didn't realize it also worked for NTG4.5 and NTG4.7 owners. Thats awesome. And I agree, its such a massive improvement.

Also 100% on the tech support. They helped with telling me which LVDS cable to use. I was surprised the support actually worked lol.

I posted some tips here Installed JoyeAuto CarPlay/Android Auto Module/Phone Mirroring on 2015 CLA

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh no way, I just made a similar post. I have a Pre-Carplay NTG5 unit, so I had to use a similar device for getting CarPlay. I had mine in the box for a year, but I got around to installing a bit ago. One thing I noticed is that the unit you linked is much more compact - which makes a huge difference installing.

I didn't realize it also worked for NTG4.5 and NTG4.7 owners. Thats awesome. And I agree, its such a massive improvement.

Also 100% on the tech support. They helped with telling me which LVDS cable to use. I was surprised the support actually worked lol.

I posted some tips here Installed JoyeAuto CarPlay/Android Auto Module/Phone Mirroring on 2015 CLA
That’s great! Glad it worked out for you as well. Whichever way people may choose to go in terms of product adding CarPlay/Android Auto is a massive upgrade and makes our cars on par with what’s rolling out of the showroom. I may go for a 10.25 inch android screen eventually but enjoying this for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts