Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!!

When I bought my 2017 Mercedes CLA250 a few months back, I was shocked to find out that Apple CarPlay wasn't supported! I wasn't sure why my specific model didn't have the capabilities for it while others did, but I was told by MBrace that it wasn't something I can add-on. Thats when my hunting for a solution started. After doing a quick google search, I came across youtube videos that claimed all it took was a simple OBD plugin! Most of the videos had international phone numbers to text or call if interested in purchasing one and no real information on the product itself, such as the car models supported. I ended up on a website called Aliexpress.com . After reading a few reviews about the site, I learned that most of the products are cheap and the shipping takes forever... essentially getting what you paid for and that they won't steal your credit card info in the process.

I attached a link to the product I purchased,

[Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Activation Tool]

After waiting approx. 10 days, it not only arrived, but it works FLAWLESSLY!!

#INYOURFACEMBRACE

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Hey guys!!

When I bought my 2017 Mercedes CLA250 a few months back, I was shocked to find out that Apple CarPlay wasn't supported! I wasn't sure why my specific model didn't have the capabilities for it while others did, but I was told by MBrace that it wasn't something I can add-on. Thats when my hunting for a solution started. After doing a quick google search, I came across youtube videos that claimed all it took was a simple OBD plugin! Most of the videos had international phone numbers to text or call if interested in purchasing one and no real information on the product itself, such as the car models supported. I ended up on a website called Aliexpress.com . After reading a few reviews about the site, I learned that most of the products are cheap and the shipping takes forever... essentially getting what you paid for and that they won't steal your credit card info in the process.

I attached a link to the product I purchased,

[Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Activation Tool]

After waiting approx. 10 days, it not only arrived, but it works FLAWLESSLY!!

#INYOURFACEMBRACE
Your radio was already up to date for Android Auto, the tool only activate it.

I tried this on mine and it didn't work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, do you have the multimedia package? Also how was the installation?
I had the CMMD unit, once I bought the SD card for the navi, that worked as well. But for some reason I was told my car wasn't compatible for CarPlay or android auto! The install was super simple, just stick the OBD in and it reboots the entertainment system... when it boots, its all activated and working. (at least for me)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your radio was already up to date for Android Auto, the tool only activate it.

I tried this on mine and it didn't work.
I'm not too familiar with the Mercedes entertainment unit specifics, but it never gave me the option for Android auto or CarPlay before. The tool I purchased was indeed an activation tool (like you mentioned). Sorry to hear it didn't work on yours!! but regardless you're sporting a sick whip! Love the black/white combo!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the Mercedes entertainment unit specifics, but it never gave me the option for Android auto or CarPlay before. The tool I purchased was indeed an activation tool (like you mentioned). Sorry to hear it didn't work on yours!! but regardless you're sporting a sick whip! Love the black/white combo!
:lol:

Do you have a Android Auto/CarPlay on your USB box like that ? https://photos.app.goo.gl/nkKbJG9CACKOfTGj2

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just ordered mine, can you give us an update on yours. Is it working good so far and do you notice anything is off?

·
Registered
18 Posts
just got mine this morning and plug it in the ODB port, install took less than 20 sec then my screen shows Carplay ON or something like that, now both icon of Apple carplay and Android auto show up on my Tel screen menu but i cant use it with my Samsung Note 8,, and after google-ing the problem it seem that i need Samsung OEM cable to work. will try it again with OEM cable later tonight

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
How simple was this, and did they charge you for it?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I order the "retrofit" kit my self and install it. This is just a new USB box in the armrest.

The dealer did the update for almost 3hrs... but only charge me 1 hour of labour.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts