Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you! Hmm I think its compatible, maybe you can tell?

MY 2015 in August. With Audio20 single CD. SA 505.

Is there more you need to check?

On eBay. But you only need the USB box : https://photos.app.goo.gl/UPsJZBeRovKUBgkk8 i don't know if you can find this on eBay. maybe your dealer can order it.

The retrofit kit came with the USB cable too, but you don't need it.

You dealer have to activate it after, if you car is compatible.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Oh wow, I didn't realize this was possible until now. I have a 2015 Aug delivery (I think June or July 2015 build) and Im gonna check this out next time I visit them.

Most of 2015 car can, but only the dealer can confirm it at 100%.
In your picture, is the right cable for Android? Just curious as I use an iPhone so I think I only install the product in the left bag

·
Registered
521 Posts
How did you manage to get the old USB plug/kit out of the console? did you use a trim removal kit? It looks like it could pop out based off the pictures of the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto USB Kit

·
Registered
521 Posts
MB have a tool for that, but i made mine : https://photos.app.goo.gl/SgeBk6oGGASFRixw6

but any very slim metal plate will do.
Ah perfect! Thanks so much for the info. I ordered the part and scheduled an appointment for after the part comes. Hopefully it will work out lol.

Im guessing the plug required to just clip off the original and clip on for the replacement

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive tried two dealers in my neighborhood, they cant give me a straight answer if Im able to get CP/AA activated.
Is there anyone who can tell me of its possible ?
What SA codes do I need ?
My current Radioinfo is at the picture.
I can send my VIN in PM IF someone wants to have a look

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ive tried two dealers in my neighborhood, they cant give me a straight answer if Im able to get CP/AA activated.
How did you get to that screen, I tried the Redhang up + 1 +# and it doesn't work on my screen. Is there a special way to activate it?
Also which dealers did you guys go to. I went to one in Philly and they said they could not update my HMI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey! Sorry to bump such an old thread.

I'm on the process of trying to activate Android Auto/ Carplay on my CLA.

Info about my CLA:
- Production from August 2015
- Audio 20 Radio Navigation Capable NTG5.1 (SA522)

So from what I gathered, I need:
- A retrofit kit (A2468203800) that comes with a USB-Box with smartphone integration (A1728202000)
- A firmware update to a more recent version.
- An OBD2 Mercedes Apple Carplay and Android Auto Activation tool.

But I still have a few questions:
- At the dealer they told me that only COMAND systems would be possible to activate. Is this true? How can one check this?
- From what I saw, there are 3 types of "Radios": Audio20 (SA505 or SA522) and COMAND (SA531). Will it work on a SA522 unit? Did anyone with a non COMAND could successfully do it?

- I have a friend with a CLA from 2016 and his car also has a SA522 radio unit. He already has the USB with the smartphone integration symbol. If the OBD activators claim to support every CLA after 12/2015 so the SA522 units are actually supported?

- Should we avoid updating the firmware to the latest 2019 versions? Should 2018 firmware versions be the best ones for OBD activators compatibility?

- I saw that @David170 managed to do it in a 2015 car. Was it on a SA522 Audio 20 Radio unit too? Or was it already Comand?

Note: You can see your audio unit type through the VIN (Chassis Number) of your car in this website: https://www.datamb.com/
Note2: For anyone curious or needing more help/information about this, please check this Mercedes Medic Post with very helpful details.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I I think you need the option "531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5" for the activation.

https://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mer...?su=5xzbugx_4f

You don't need the OBD2 Activation tool if the dealer activated it after installing the new USB box.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, the dealer told me that they could only do it on a COMAND SA531. But after some conversation, the mechanic there seemed to give me a hint that there are other ways to activate non-COMAND.

I'm trying to see if there is anyone that successfully activated a non comand one 😕

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever get any info for this question? I got in to the engineering mode to try aba determine if a ODB plugin would activate CarPlay as well but I don’t know what I’m looking for to tell the firmware version. My car doesn’t have CarPlay but in engineering mode it shows up in the menu.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts