Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I'm sure many of you, like me, get frustrated having to plug the USB/lightning cable in each time to get CarPlay (or AndroidAuto) connected. I stumbled across this - CarPlay2Air - a wireless dongle/adaptor that transforms the wired CarPlay experience into a wireless one.

I just ordered one myself for my 2017 Sport AMG Line CLA250 and will hopefully receive it before Christmas. I'll keep you all posted on my experience once I receive it and just letting you know that if anyone's in the market for one, the company has a 10% off code at the moment "10NOW". It's free shipping but I opted for Express Shipping to see if I can get mine before the holidays.

I'm sure there are other variants of this on AliExpress and Amazon, but this one seemed a bit more legit and had better ratings/reviews from what I've read/gathered.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow via BT and WiFi ?! Wonder how they do the handshaking .....
I'm not too sure mate, but I have read reviews and feedback that it works well so I'm really excited to try it myself and give my 2c on the experience :) Will keep this thread updated once it arrives (hopefully this week).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. That’s amazing. Please take pics of what it looks like when your install.
It will just be a direct plug-in to the Smartphone integration USB port in the arm rest. Probably just a tiny bit of software setup on the phone and should work within minutes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just received my unit! Unlucky for me though I can't test it yet because my car's in the shop for Service B1 and pano roof rattle issues and driver's side instrument cluster rattling/creaking issues as well. Hopefully get it back in a few days.

I've also just emailed the company for a firmware update in case it needs one. As soon as the car's back, the CarPlay2air unit is going straight in!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very keen to hear how this goes! I have a 2015 CLA250 Shooting Brake and can’t get my iPhone 11 Pro to connect. My husband can get his to work intermittently with certain cables but not others. Wonder if this will work!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all just updating you on my experience with the CarPlay2air adaptor. Right out of the box it is a pain to get working.

There seems to be a weird timing issue with the CarPlay2air dongle not being able to stay active long enough to initiate. The only way I’ve been able to get it to work is with some strange workarounds:
  • plugging the phone into the dongle directly into the USB port using a lighting cable to initiate a wired connection using the dongle as a pass through keeps the device on long enough for me to then initiate a wireless connection with it
  • putting the car into reverse to initiate the reversing camera seems to allow the device to initiate properly for me to connect wirelessly
Even after numerous firmware updates to the device, no fix is in sight.

These mentioned workarounds are really tedious and makes the product feel half complete and not worth the asking price. Granted, once connected wirelessly the whole experience is great, but to have to connect a cable first or put the car into reverse just to get the wireless working, not worth it. Better off just sticking the cable in knowing that it’ll work straight away.

Because of this, and the fact that after sales support is abysmal, I returned my purchase. I’m hoping that these kinks get ironed out in the near future, and may eventually purchase again if the product is improved.

You can see more discussion about it in Mac Forums.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very keen to hear how this goes! I have a 2015 CLA250 Shooting Brake and can’t get my iPhone 11 Pro to connect. My husband can get his to work intermittently with certain cables but not others. Wonder if this will work!
I had this issue with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Our Comand systems (and CarPlay in general) are very particular about the cables being used.

I originally tried with the lightning cable from my iPad which wouldn’t work. Then I bought a brand new Apple branded lightning cable and it worked 100% off the time. My third party (MFI certified) cable also would not work.

I mentioned this to my service advisor and during my last service he said a software update was available for my Comand system. After the update, all my cables now work with CarPlay.

Maybe ask your dealer to update yours and see how you go.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Bummer ... but quite typical of some modern tinker gadgets
As for the cables surprised a firmware patch fixed the authentication issue?
Is the firmware level indicated on the RO?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bummer ... but quite typical of some modern tinker gadgets
As for the cables surprised a firmware patch fixed the authentication issue?
Is the firmware level indicated on the RO?
Yeah that’s true, but funnily an update on that, looks like the latest firmware they released on New Year’s Eve has fixed that issue! Right after I returned it! Damnit! A couple of CLA owners on Mac Rumours forum reported that the firmware fixed the issues for them. I’ll probably order again in a month to let them iron out more of the kinks.

In regards to the software update on the Comand system I was surprised too that it fixed the issues with how temperamental CarPlay was with the cables. I’ll check the software version for you later today and let you know.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
who knows ... the firmware may include some "timing key" or some other identifier check for the MFI hardware and if the code has a glitch or synchronization error it will see the cable as fake etc etc ... eg someone coded 5.6us +- 0.2us for a timing key verification and dumped it into the firmware but it should have been 5.5us +-0.1us

and then the cables themselves have hardware chips with authentication variances or even just a bad batch of chips with a dangling wirebond inside the encapsulation blah blah blah

and you know what? considering how rushed things get in production releases, i won't be surprised

you want a good one? two identical android phones, same obd bluetooth reader ... one phone works, the other doesn't ... so stupid :rolleyes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
who knows ... the firmware may include some "timing key" or some other identifier check for the MFI hardware and if the code has a glitch or synchronization error it will see the cable as fake etc etc ... eg someone coded 5.6us +- 0.2us for a timing key verification and dumped it into the firmware but it should have been 5.5us +-0.1us

and then the cables themselves have hardware chips with authentication variances or even just a bad batch of chips with a dangling wirebond inside the encapsulation blah blah blah

and you know what? considering how rushed things get in production releases, i won't be surprised

you want a good one? two identical android phones, same obd bluetooth reader ... one phone works, the other doesn't ... so stupid :rolleyes:
gotta love / hate technology don't we!?

I tried looking for the software version for my Comand system but unfortunately wasn't able to find it anywhere. Could only find version number references for the maps software.

May just need to go visit your local Mercedes dealership / service centre.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
if you can get into engineering menu for your head unit, roaming around the listings might shed some light
eg for my 14 it says ntg47-6.25

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if you can get into engineering menu for your head unit, roaming around the listings might shed some light
eg for my 14 it says ntg47-6.25
Yeah unfortunately I’ve not been able to access engineering menu with any of the methods floating around the forums and interwebs

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Yeah unfortunately I’ve not been able to access engineering menu with any of the methods floating around the forums and interwebs
Oh ... THAT problem
Gotta find a friendly MB service tech or indie who can accidentally leave the soft key access permission on while they examine a nonexistent problem in your system
Like the bogus BlueTeeth bug or something

Your warranty still active?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh ... THAT problem
Gotta find a friendly MB service tech or indie who can accidentally leave the soft key access permission on while they examine a nonexistent problem in your system
Like the bogus BlueTeeth bug or something

Your warranty still active?
Lol, I may float the idea to my service advisor next time ;)

Yep still active for another year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts