Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Has anyone tried doing this yet? I am thinking about replacing the warm white bulbs with the white ones. The front ones come off easy by inserting a flathead screw driver and pulling them out but the panel in the backseat is a challenge!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Does anyone have a bulb number for each of the different interior bulbs? I would also like to change out my bulbs with LEDs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh sure, I have ordered the new bulbs, once they arrive I will get this done.

I took the ones out under the door, footrest area and above the sun shades and they are toshiba W5W 5W bulbs so I'm assuming that's the standard they use across the interior and the boot. However I have not been able to open up the light compartment above the back seats if someone got any suggestions on that, please let me know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone managed to open up the front and rear dome lights to change the bulbs. Also any advice regarding the ones under the rear view mirror and wing mirrors would be a massive help. I am struggling with these lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I'm trying to change all the lights to led and I also need help. Sorry for my English, I'm from Spain. This is my resume:

- 2x H7 55 W (light deflection only for ILS)
- 2x T10 front doors (light towards the ground)
- 2x T10 front doors (covered with a red plastic)
- 2x T10 at the feet of the driver and passenger
- 2x mirrors in T10
- 2x T10 interior driver and passenger mirrors ( which are displayed when we upset the sun on the road)
- 2x (not the type of bulb , look directly at you blind ) out of the way reading between the driver and passenger.
- 2x T10 at the feet of the front seats, visible from the rear. Have difficult access.
- 3x T10 in the rear on the roof , one of two reading position . The middle one can not be sure of all that is T10, at least it seems , the other two do. Does not look easy to remove . My scares me and carry me pull the plastic.
- 1x T10 in the trunk, it is a very poor light for all the trunk.
- 2x T10 in license plate, and here comes the grace, the license plate is white and it does not need to change , if they had put all like this would not need to be changing anything .

T10 = W5W

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've replaced several of the interior light bulbs with LEDs; the "puddle lights" (bottom of door), rear dome reading lights, rear dome, trunk, and vanity lights (above the sun visors). Alexaxm is correct that the OEM bulbs are W5W/T10 wedge type bulbs. The only different bulb is the rear dome which is a festoon type bulb (pointed connector on each end). I purchased my W5W replacement bulbs from ijdmtoy.com. I have purchased from them before with success. If you do replace bulbs, be sure to purchase the Canbus Error Free LEDs. They have built-in load resistors so you don't get a bulb error message after replacement.

I purchased the following for the W5W replacements:

Error Free 5-SMD 2825 W5W LED Bulbs | BMW Mercedes Parking Light

This is the replacement festoon type bulb I purchased for the rear dome:

(1) Error Free 578 6411 LED Bulb for Cargo Area Light or Dome Light

I wanted more light for the vanity lights (per the wife's request) so I purchased the following (also by ijdmtoy but offered on eBay):

2 White Exact Fit LED Side Door Footwell Vanity Mirror Trunk Lights for Mercedes | eBay

As shown on the eBay site, these are direct LED panel lights and can be used at several locations as a true "plug and play". It is a little more expensive to go this route than just buying the replacement wedge bulbs, but you do get more light output.

The rear dome can be removed using a trim removal tool or a well padded screwdriver. It's held in by 2 tabs in front and 2 tabs in back and "pops" out with a little pressure. The reading bulbs are replaced by rotating the bulb holder, pulling out the W5W bulb and replacing it with the LED. The other wedge type bulbs can be replaced the same way. The festoon bulb is more difficult since you have to separate the lens from the body of the dome but prying them apart at 4 locations, easily seen when you have the dome assembly out.

The other lensed assemblies can also be removed by prying the edge up with the trim removal tool.

I still have not replaced the front reading bulbs since I can't seem to "pop" out the overhead console and I don't want to damage anything in the process. Hopefully someone can help with this removal.

My next bulb replacement will be the rear backup lights. I hope to use the following bulb there but haven't verified the space yet but don't expect a problem:

Error Free 5W CREE High Power 921 Backup LED Bulbs For European Cars

The LEDs do make a difference in light output. A rather simple mod with good results.

Again, I hope someone will help with the front reading bulb replacement but I guess I'm good to go right now.

Hope this helps.

Your mileage may vary"

·
Registered
12 Posts
I still have not replaced the front reading bulbs since I can't seem to "pop" out the overhead console and I don't want to damage anything in the process. Hopefully someone can help with this removal.

Again, I hope someone will help with the front reading bulb replacement but I guess I'm good to go right now.

Hope this helps.
Same problem as you, I don't know how to replace this bulbs and don't know the type of the bulb

My next bulb replacement will be the rear backup lights. I hope to use the following bulb there but haven't verified the space yet but don't expect a problem:

Do you mean tail lights? For when you road in "R" (rear) position.

Thanks, I didn't know what was the bulb of the center dome lights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've replaced several of the interior light bulbs with LEDs; the "puddle lights" (bottom of door), rear dome reading lights, rear dome, trunk, and vanity lights (above the sun visors). Alexaxm is correct that the OEM bulbs are W5W/T10 wedge type bulbs. The only different bulb is the rear dome which is a festoon type bulb (pointed connector on each end). I purchased my W5W replacement bulbs from ijdmtoy.com. I have purchased from them before with success. If you do replace bulbs, be sure to purchase the Canbus Error Free LEDs. They have built-in load resistors so you don't get a bulb error message after replacement.

I purchased the following for the W5W replacements:

Error Free 5-SMD 2825 W5W LED Bulbs | BMW Mercedes Parking Light

I wanted more light for the vanity lights (per the wife's request) so I purchased the following (also by ijdmtoy but offered on eBay):

2 White Exact Fit LED Side Door Footwell Vanity Mirror Trunk Lights for Mercedes | eBay

As shown on the eBay site, these are direct LED panel lights and can be used at several locations as a true "plug and play". It is a little more expensive to go this route than just buying the replacement wedge bulbs, but you do get more light output.

The rear dome can be removed using a trim removal tool or a well padded screwdriver. It's held in by 2 tabs in front and 2 tabs in back and "pops" out with a little pressure. The reading bulbs are replaced by rotating the bulb holder, pulling out the W5W bulb and replacing it with the LED. The other wedge type bulbs can be replaced the same way. The festoon bulb is more difficult since you have to separate the lens from the body of the dome but prying them apart at 4 locations, easily seen when you have the dome assembly out.

The other lensed assemblies can also be removed by prying the edge up with the trim removal tool.

The LEDs do make a difference in light output. A rather simple mod with good results.

Hope this helps.

Your mileage may vary"
Excellent stuff, thanks for the detailed analysis. I am still awaiting on the front reading lamps, the rear view mirror and the wing mirrors removal. Will give the rear reading lamps a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone considered looking up in a CLA workshop manual, it would have all the information you would need for any modifications to a vehicle. I have come across a website that is offering it for £9.99.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Has anyone considered looking up in a CLA workshop manual, it would have all the information you would need for any modifications to a vehicle. I have come across a website that is offering it for £9.99.
Please provide a link. The only up to date workshop manual I'm aware of is the one from Mercedes STAR TekInfo which is very expensive.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hi guys,
Has anyone tried doing this yet? I am thinking about replacing the warm white bulbs with the white ones. The front ones come off easy by inserting a flathead screw driver and pulling them out but the panel in the backseat is a challenge!
Go to your nearest preferably older emergency room and check out their lighting before switching to the white LED lights. There is a reason it's called mood light.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
For sure. But white LED light is harsh and the glare will reflect off your center rear view mirror. If you add a dimmer function...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Again the LED lights are too harsh and bright for inside use, especially when you are driving at night. It will blind you from the road ahead. That's why I said check the emergency rooms. They have bright white lights because they need to see EVERYTHING. Can you imagine someone's living room lit with overwhelming white light ? Have a date at your apartment and see what she thinks when it is bright as a hospital surgery suite. This is the reason bulb manufacturers make "warm" white to avoid the effect. I understand the outside lights ( my M3 has them as standard at the door handles, license plate etc. ) But inside ? No really. Just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just for information, the reading/map lamp bulbs in the front overhead console can not be replaced with an individual LED bulb. They are already LEDs mounted to a circuit board.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts