Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
hereby the factory removal of the front dome light.
Maybe if I find the time to uploade in-live picture this evening.

-edit- I'm unable to uploade pdf files bigger then 19.5kb...
Admins, can this be raised please, so I can upload PDF files.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Removal Front Dome Light

I couldn't wait for the admins to raise the PDF size for the forum, so I took some screenshot of the WIS-document.
Also I've already tried it...with success except changing bulbs isn't an option guys
They used SMD-leds (LED's soldered straight on the mainboard).

137.jpg
136.jpg

1. Insert 2 old bank/plastic cards where the arrows are and click the dome light out.

1.jpg

2. Remove metal latch/spring, then you can remove locking mechanisme (big plastic piece)

2.jpg

3. Remove all torx screws (12)

3.jpg

4. SMD-leds are shown with the two arrows

4.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How about the wing mirrors? Is the light underneath each mirror is also led mounted?

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

·
Registered
41 Posts
can't answer that, as I don't have the light package.
Also I have to correct myself on the last picture, the arrows are placed on the wrong smd led's - these are to illumated the buttons.
The interiour lamps are the cree leds - those 'yellowsish' mini bulbs you can see a bit to the middle

·
Banned
74 Posts
Does anyone knows what length of the led light bulb you need for the light between the 2 t10 leds on the back side (reading lamps)?
I have place the festoon led 36 mm but it does not work. When placing back the normal yellow bulb everything works fine again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone knows what length of the led light bulb you need for the light between the 2 t10 leds on the back side (reading lamps)?
I have place the festoon led 36 mm but it does not work. When placing back the normal yellow bulb everything works fine again.
try rotating festoon bulb....contacts might be negative to positive

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've replaced several of the interior light bulbs with LEDs; the "puddle lights" (bottom of door), rear dome reading lights, rear dome, trunk, and vanity lights (above the sun visors). Alexaxm is correct that the OEM bulbs are W5W/T10 wedge type bulbs. The only different bulb is the rear dome which is a festoon type bulb (pointed connector on each end). I purchased my W5W replacement bulbs from ijdmtoy.com. I have purchased from them before with success. If you do replace bulbs, be sure to purchase the Canbus Error Free LEDs. They have built-in load resistors so you don't get a bulb error message after replacement.

I purchased the following for the W5W replacements:

Error Free 5-SMD 2825 W5W LED Bulbs | BMW Mercedes Parking Light

This is the replacement festoon type bulb I purchased for the rear dome:

(1) Error Free 578 6411 LED Bulb for Cargo Area Light or Dome Light

I wanted more light for the vanity lights (per the wife's request) so I purchased the following (also by ijdmtoy but offered on eBay):

2 White Exact Fit LED Side Door Footwell Vanity Mirror Trunk Lights for Mercedes | eBay

As shown on the eBay site, these are direct LED panel lights and can be used at several locations as a true "plug and play". It is a little more expensive to go this route than just buying the replacement wedge bulbs, but you do get more light output.

The rear dome can be removed using a trim removal tool or a well padded screwdriver. It's held in by 2 tabs in front and 2 tabs in back and "pops" out with a little pressure. The reading bulbs are replaced by rotating the bulb holder, pulling out the W5W bulb and replacing it with the LED. The other wedge type bulbs can be replaced the same way. The festoon bulb is more difficult since you have to separate the lens from the body of the dome but prying them apart at 4 locations, easily seen when you have the dome assembly out.

The other lensed assemblies can also be removed by prying the edge up with the trim removal tool.

I still have not replaced the front reading bulbs since I can't seem to "pop" out the overhead console and I don't want to damage anything in the process. Hopefully someone can help with this removal.

My next bulb replacement will be the rear backup lights. I hope to use the following bulb there but haven't verified the space yet but don't expect a problem:

Error Free 5W CREE High Power 921 Backup LED Bulbs For European Cars

The LEDs do make a difference in light output. A rather simple mod with good results.

Again, I hope someone will help with the front reading bulb replacement but I guess I'm good to go right now.

Hope this helps.

Your mileage may vary"
12 or 24v ????

21 - 30 of 30 Posts