Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am getting this chirping bird sounds coming from my passenger side front tire of my 2014 CLA 45 AMG.
If I remove the oil cap, the noise disappears. I have seen some posts that suggest cleaning or replacing the crank case vent parts to resolve.
Does anyone have instructions, pictures or know the locations of the crank case vent tubes.

Thanks!
Arctic White, 2014 CLA 45 AMG (no upgrades yet) (love it!)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
BSpeedy,
Welcome to The CLA Forum :)
I always ask this first looking for more clues - Have you been able to check for codes? Have you seen any messages or warning lights in the last couple of months?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
OK, When was last full service?
When will next full service be due?
(Other members who have experienced this chirping, may ask questions later.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Service A completed about 1,000 miles ago by Mercedes. Purchased it used in January from Mercedes in Colorado, USA. No warranty. 40,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
So, chirping only appeared within the last 1000 miles?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Could be anything from your belts to a burnt valve, probably should have been addressed by your last service tech.
If it was my CLA, I would ask him to handle cuz he missed it. If it is the belts the fix is easy.
We'll see what the other guys say.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Usually happens when the car is warm and idling. It does not occur all the time but frequently. Looking forward to some feedback from the group.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Usually happens when the car is warm and idling. It does not occur all the time but frequently. Looking forward to some feedback from the group.

Sounds like this? If so it is because at sometime there was to much oil. I had to have the crankcase vent tube replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes! That is the exact sound. Crank case vent tube. How much did they charge you? Has anyone here replaced it themselves?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just checked my oil and it is above the line. Mercedes tech was the last to touch her. I am sure they will deny that this is an issue and obviously will not fix it for free. I have a oil vacuum and will remove the extra oil so it reads at the top line instead of above it. Love some pics or instructions on how I can fix or replace the crank case vent tube if someone has.

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
@i102bspeedy2
which line? the stick has a muititick ruler and when cold the oil level should ideally be right in the middle of the graduations

@Eclipse1825
you post should be a sticky!!!
cant believe so many oil overfill cases i mean geewhiz use a graduated baking pourer from the dollar store good grief

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It it is above the plastic gauge even! Way too high. (Yes I removed the stick, wiped off and re-insterted and pulled out again and viewed it.) Car is cold.

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
Yup they (1) under evacuated or did not allow enough drain time and (2) over refilled with standard dispense volume
This is a now fully documented service issue (and probably noted in their own service msnials) and they simply screwed up the sop and now a component is screwed up
Hope you took a pic of the overfill evidence
They are responsible for the remedy especially since they charged you for it and i recall all service work has 12/12 warranty or something like that

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
I know its not a good way to start/build a relationship but with service teams it has to be a trust but verify rule
My inspection check list is longer than theirs but i am nice about it and so far they have gone thru that list with me before they touch my door handle to take possession for service/warranty, and before i do the same to regain possession before signing off
Bottom line is you are trusting your investment/property to them and they in turn must acknowledge and respect that
Cuz all it takes is one little mistake and its all downhill from there (loose drain bolt, uneven rim bolt torques, 500mL too much oil, etc)
Hope you get them to set things right
And give you a nice loaner plus good donuts and coffee

·
Registered
545 Posts
wasnt there also a bulging oil seal too?
@jmc yes the pressure makes the crank seal bulge and against the pulley and that is what makes the chirp. My seal was not replaced and two years later no issues. Knock on wood. I do my own oil changes now. 4 1/2 years old and 26,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Sounds like this? If so it is because at sometime there was to much oil. I had to have the crankcase vent tube replaced.
Eclipse,
a) Who does your oil changes?
b) Who replaced the vent tube for you? A MB dealer?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts